Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amazon Echo....that lttle slut Alexa, WOW

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe I'm late to the party here
Very.

I'm assuming it can only link to an Amazon music account and not, say, Spotify?
Links to Spotify premium, and you can also set Spotify as the default service, so that when you ask for music, it always goes to Spotify. We have 3 of the Echo Dot, all connected to stereos.

They were on sale for Amazon prime day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's the difference between an echo and a dot?!
Size and price. If you want to use the internal speaker, the echo would be better. If you can use external speakers, you want the dot.

I got one on prime day for about £75. (From the link on here, thanks bozza).
Er, you're welcome.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What's the difference between an echo and a dot?!

I almost bought an echo on prime day but after reading reviews on the echo speaker I decided on a dot and a bose speaker - links up easily and sound is fantastic - basically a dot is an echo without the big speaker. The dot still has a speaker but its pretty poor quality to listen to music on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit I hadnt considered using it as a kitchen timer presumably you tell her to play a tune in 3 mins to get a perfectly boiled egg and she does so. My music is very limited mainly either Classic Fm at certain times of the day or Smooth so as a music machine it is of no great use to me as I wouldnt use it but as a timer that is worth looking at..

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I must admit I hadnt considered using it as a kitchen timer presumably you tell her to play a tune iun 3 mins to get a perfectly boiled egg and she does so. My music is very limited mainly either Classic Fm at certain times of the day or Smooth so as a music machine it is of no great use to me as I wouldnt use it but as a timer that is worth looking at..

So you would pay £150 for an EGG timer.

Outstanding

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All this thread needs now is [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] to come along and tease me about how FANTASTIC his Echo is.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It doent like much opera either. Great as an initial novelty but wouldnt buy one once the novelty has worn off.

If the novelty has worn off surely you have already purchased one.

But i know what you mean, it happens with a lot of stuff, but not this I think, when you are in the same room you cant help asking it to do something, and like You Tube you try and find something it cannot do, they are very infectious and its fun to discover all that it can and cannot do.
When my daughters arrives next week the first thing I am going to ask it is "why do Brighton fans moan so much"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the novelty has worn off surely you have already purchased one.

But i know what you mean, it happens with a lot of stuff, but not this I think, when you are in the same room you cant help asking it to do something, and like You Tube you try and find something it cannot do, they are very infectious and its fun to discover all that it can and cannot do.
When my daughters arrives next week the first thing I am going to ask it is "why do Brighton fans moan so much"

I was meaning once the novelty has worn off of using my brother in laws or sons. I asked it to play Charlotte Church Pia Jeu and it played all her pop records but not that classic. but as I have it on I pod and PC etc. its no problem but it did play GOSBTS.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was meaning once the novelty has worn off of using my brother in laws or sons. I asked it to play Charlotte Church Pia Jeu and it played all her pop records but not that classic. but as I have it on I pod and PC etc. its no problem but it did play GOSBTS.

Surely that should read iphid?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I must admit I hadnt considered using it as a kitchen timer presumably you tell her to play a tune in 3 mins to get a perfectly boiled egg and she does so. My music is very limited mainly either Classic Fm at certain times of the day or Smooth so as a music machine it is of no great use to me as I wouldnt use it but as a timer that is worth looking at..

Nope much simpler, "Alexa set timer for 3 mins!"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It doent like much opera either. Great as an initial novelty but wouldnt buy one once the novelty has worn off.
The novelty of asking for jokes or facts might wear off for many. There are more useful things though, I use mine constantly:
Every time I make a cup of tea, I use it to set a timer.
Every time something goes in the oven, I use it to set a timer (there's a timer on the oven too, but Alexa can handle multiple timers and is easier)
And I constantly play music on it, even if I've only got a few minutes - 'Alexa, play some rock', and off she goes.

Brilliant.

I gave one to my mum (mid 70s) last year, and she had no interest. I tried to explain 'all you need to do is say Alexa, play Adele', but she's so anti technology she didn't want to. Anyway, I set it up and her cleaner started using it once a week. Now my mum loves it and uses it daily.

It's just so handy for music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here