NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Breakfast 6-8
Lunch 12-2
Afternoon tea 3.30-4.30
Dinner after 6pm
Supper after 9pm

I run a very similar schedule but have added the trendy 'Brunch' and 'Midnight Feast'. Essentially, whenever I need to eat, I can give the meal a title.

Breakfast 6-10
Brunch 10-12
Lunch 12-3
Afternoon tea 3-5
Dinner 5-7
Supper 7-11
Midnight Feast/Munchies 12 - 3

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In my childhood in the late 40s and early 50s the sequence was as follows:
Breakfast (cereal) soon after getting out of bed.
Lunch mid morning (tea and a biscuit) with milk substituted for tea on school days.
Dinner about 1pm (meat and veg)
Tea when my father returned from work (tea, bread and butter, cake)
Supper just before bed time (cocoa and a biscuit).

After I went to work it gradually became Breakfast, Elevensies, Lunch, Dinner (occasionally Supper).

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's the last meal before bed.

Usually a bowl of cereal, cheese or Jam on toast, bowl of chips, couple of pieces of fruit, depending on how hungry I am or what I ate for the evening meal between 6-7pm.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When growing up:

Breakfast, dinner, tea, bedtime. We didn't have the money for snacks.

As an adult:

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, wine, bed.

Supper was dinner for posh people, and still is as far as I'm aware.

Nobody should eat more that 3 meals a day, especially if two are cooked, unless you are either a fat *******, or Lord Snooty, or both.

If someone invites me round for supper I expect proper cooked food at eight, and not slivers of smoked salmon on fougasse, let down by an under-chilled prosecco. FFS.

:lolol:

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Breakfast, dinner, tea, supper, the last one being (usually) bread and cheese at about 9 p.m. Mind you, this was working class rural Wiltshire in the 40s &50s

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone on here been to a dinner party at lunchtime?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Dinner is the main evening meal, supper is anything taken later in the evening. Tea is a drink.

Tea up here is the main evening meal. Tea, the drink, is 'a brew'. So, breakfast, brew, lunch, brew, tea, beer.

But the lads who do our estate work have a much more complicated and flexible system, involving 'bait' - which is basically a large packed lunch, but eaten during the working day.

Breakfast, morning bait (around 10am - generally one of their sandwiches), bait (lunch), any bait left over (at about 3pm), then home for tea. Plus beer.

Tea up here is the main evening meal. Tea, the drink, is 'a brew'. So, breakfast, brew, lunch, brew, tea, beer.

".................But the lads who do our estate work ...............

:clap: Should I be tugging my forelock whilst typing this :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
this thread is so confusing. A male friend has said it's whatever's in the oven unless it's been given to the dog .... hope that helps?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can anyone explain what time one might have this, I ask as I'm hearing it more and more, "Kier and Cressida are popping round this evening for supper". Is it a posh word for dinner, a hipster name for an evening meal or and extra meal taken after dinner at say 10pm?

Do Fire Extinguishers ring a bell by any chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here