Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things getting tetchy at 'Boro?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Boro prevented one local journo from interviewing Gary Monk after their latest friendly.

Apparently Boro didn't like the Gazette speculating on transfer fees that were 'undisclosed' and wages paid to players, so wouldn't let the scribbler who wrote the story speak to Monk.

I can understand the position on wages, but when it comes to fees it does seem a bit churlish. It creates a vacuum of information that the local paper filled and then Boro threw their toys out of the pram and published the 'correct' fee to show who is boss.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gazette-not-publish-interview-middlesbrough-13358358

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is that unprecented for a club to make a statement publishing the true fees paid, to correct local media?

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/mfc-clarifying-transfer-facts

It would be nice if figures were more openly known.

Regarding the belligerent tact taken by the club, it reminds me of the previous Southampton regime that had it in for their local media as well as genuine club legends. If they failed to tow the line.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Without going into the rights and wrongs of this particular quarrel (I've no idea who is right and who is wrong, and I don't really care) but isn't it about time that 'undisclosed fee' was outlawed by the football authorities. Presumably the clubs have to disclose the information to FIFA/UEFA/the FA/the PL/the EFL or whoever? If so, they should publish it - or make it a rule that it must be disclosed by the club.
Not the wages; just the transfer fee plus add-ons.

If they also passed on details of the agents' commission to the Inland Revenue, I wouldn't mind that too much!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Without going into the rights and wrongs of this particular quarrel (I've no idea who is right and who is wrong, and I don't really care) but isn't it about time that 'undisclosed fee' was outlawed by the football authorities. Presumably the clubs have to disclose the information to FIFA/UEFA/the FA/the PL/the EFL or whoever? If so, they should publish it - or make it a rule that it must be disclosed by the club.
Not the wages; just the transfer fee plus add-ons.

If they also passed on details of the agents' commission to the Inland Revenue, I wouldn't mind that too much!

Why should a private company disclose what it buys its commodities for?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why should a private company disclose what it buys its commodities for?

Because it would want to remain within a very lucrative league, even if disclosure of transfer fees was a hard and fast rule with which they would have to comply. Of course, if they didn't like it, they would have an absolute right to leave. Wonder who would take, say, Stoke or Swansea's places if they refused to comply; I suspect there'd be quite a long waiting list.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Football is a relatively small industry, if a CEO or recruitment manager wanted to know how much club X paid for player Z I'm sure it could be ascertained within a couple of phone calls.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wonder what the journos did? I tried to get banned from both Gillingham and P*rtsm**th but failed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what were the true figures paid?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Is that unprecented for a club to make a statement publishing the true fees paid, to correct local media?

Regarding the belligerent tact taken by the club, it reminds me of the previous Southampton regime that had it in for their local media as well as genuine club legends. If they failed to tow the line.

I get curious about use of words and technology and, without wishing to be critical or pedant of the day, wonder if spell check led you to type 'tact' instead of 'tack' and 'tow' instead of 'toe'? The misuse of tact instead of tack seems to be common now and I'm curious how it has arisen.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I get curious about use of words and technology and, without wishing to be critical or pedant of the day, wonder if spell check led you to type 'tact' instead of 'tack' and 'tow' instead of 'toe'? The misuse of tact instead of tack seems to be common now and I'm curious how it has arisen.

Didn't realise it was 'toe the line'. Learn something new everyday.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Who cares town full of chavs, least real football supporters ever who need Bob Mortimer to tell them to go to games.

I feel nothing but sympathy for anyone who lives in Middlesbrough. Horrible place. Why does anyone stay there?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what were the true figures paid?

MFC would like to clarify that contrary to reports in Tuesday’s Teesside Gazette, the club’s new record signing Britt Assombalonga was a £15m transfer and not £14m as reported.

We can also further state that the wage figures suggested in reports by the Gazette are wide of the mark. We can confirm that the club works within the strict parameters of our wage structure and all our playing staff are inside a bracket that falls way below the figures reported.

Furthermore, the same report states the club paid Atalanta £10.8m for the services of Marten de Roon last summer when, in reality, the club paid a transfer fee of £8.8m with a further £900,000 on the player making 30 appearances.

As a club, we are keen to ensure our fans receive the correct information and facts rather than read misinformation from outside sources.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
"As a club, we are keen to ensure our fans receive the correct information and facts rather than read misinformation from outside sources."

If that were true, one possible way to ensure it happened would be to, ooh, I don't know, publish said information yourselves in the first place?

Most amusing piece on one Ramirez, G, on that same newspaper's website. Even carries the suggestion that his sulking reached such epic proportions last season that one of his teammates intervened physically. Chortle.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a club, we are keen to ensure our fans receive the correct information and facts rather than read misinformation from outside sources.
Weirdos. So they're now going to announce the details of deals are they :rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

tack
toe

:rave::vuvu:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here