Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Discovered a Musical Artist you Like as a Result of them Dying?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Joy Division. Rather meh droney group wth Jim Morrison wannabe singer . . . . then I gave them another listen. The live album won me over.

was irritated by your post at first, but thinking about it you're right, never made that connection before.
IC's lifestyle was totally at odds with his illness, he did fit on stage, the lights wouldn't have helped that's for sure

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
was irritated by your post at first, but thinking about it you're right, never made that connection before.
IC's lifestyle was totally at odds with his illness, he did fit on stage, the lights wouldn't have helped that's for sure

Cheers. That (the JM soundalikee thing) was the lazy criticism that people used. Rather like dismissing the Bell Hollow singer as a Morrisy soundalikee (look 'em up - smashing band).

Also at the time (1979), gloom and doom and darker sounding stuff was not fashionable. Take a look at 1979's Festive 50:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/festive50s/1970s/1979/

Yet the following year, after IC died, JD were all over it (and for the next several years) as darker music slowly permeated and replaced the more jolly punk, early post punk, ska etc.

I had moved on from punk and by 79/80 was listening to Wah! the Danse Society, Grauzone, Modern Eon.... and it took me a bit longer to appreciate JD owing to, frankly, prejudice. It was Grace Jone's cover of 'she's lost control' that reeled me in. Hated 'atmosphere'. Then someone lent me the live double album, which is, is breathtaking. After that I had a little obsession with them. Here is a live version of new dawn fades. Shivers up spine etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19ak4Nh294

A mate of mine saw thm at Futurama in Leeds in the late 70s (amazing line up by the way - pasted blow) and wasn't impressed. Definiely one of those 'oh ****, this is unexpectedly brilliant' bands.

Cheers!

Futurama 1979
Line-up

Echo & The Bunnymen
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
The Fall
Public Image Ltd.
Adam And The Ants
Hawkwind
Scritti Politti
The Only Ones
The Teardrop Explodes
Cabaret Voltaire
A Certain Ratio
Joy Division
The Monochrome Set
Void
Spizzenergi
The Invaders
Punishment of Luxury
Prag Vec

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cheers. That (the JM soundalikee thing) was the lazy criticism that people used. Rather like dismissing the Bell Hollow singer as a Morrisy soundalikee (look 'em up - smashing band).

Also at the time (1979), gloom and doom and darker sounding stuff was not fashionable. Take a look at 1979's Festive 50:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/festive50s/1970s/1979/

Yet the following year, after IC died, JD were all over it (and for the next several years) as darker music slowly permeated and replaced the more jolly punk, early post punk, ska etc.

I had moved on from punk and by 79/80 was listening to Wah! the Danse Society, Grauzone, Modern Eon.... and it took me a bit longer to appreciate JD owing to, frankly, prejudice. It was Grace Jone's cover of 'she's lost control' that reeled me in. Hated 'atmosphere'. Then someone lent me the live double album, which is, is breathtaking. After that I had a little obsession with them. Here is a live version of new dawn fades. Shivers up spine etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19ak4Nh294

A mate of mine saw thm at Futurama in Leeds in the late 70s (amazing line up by the way - pasted blow) and wasn't impressed. Definiely one of those 'oh ****, this is unexpectedly brilliant' bands.

Cheers!

Futurama 1979
Line-up

Echo & The Bunnymen
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
The Fall
Public Image Ltd.
Adam And The Ants
Hawkwind
Scritti Politti
The Only Ones
The Teardrop Explodes
Cabaret Voltaire
A Certain Ratio
Joy Division
The Monochrome Set
Void
Spizzenergi
The Invaders
Punishment of Luxury
Prag Vec

I came across JD by accident about 8 months before IC died, it was a completely new sound for me at the time (realise now there were similar unknown bands) and yes I remember what happened in May 1980. Thanks :thumbsup::rock:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Never like Johnny Cash until his last painful months after loosing his wife and reconciling his life through his music. His version of Hurt still makes my hairs stand on end.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Dave Brubeck. I knew the piece of music "Take Five" but couldn't have told you who it was by before he died.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
OMG! Did they all die?

Yep. No-one really knows or probably will ever know why the manager drove off the bridge or what really happened in that car - the bridge had opened up for a boat IIRC and they had to drive through two sets of barriers and past stationary traffic to get to the drop. Truly tragic story, they had the potential to go far.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The recent deaths of Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington touched many people while many others were unfamiliar with them or their music. Has the reported death of an artist ever prompted you to explore their music whereupon you discovered you actually liked it and added them to your collection or listening habits?

Sadly this is the story of my life I oftern only find out just how good someone was after they pass away and the out poring of grief and inevitable playing of the songs on radio and tv

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
Ian Curtis- Joy Division. Only really knew Love will tear us apart which was released I believe after his death. Listened to them more after and got to like more of their stuff

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Great performer but an average singer.

What exactly do you have against Freddie Mercury and, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, what has prompted you to make a fool of yourself on two separate threads? An opinion is one thing, but declaring one of the world's greatest singers average as a statement of fact is frankly dumb.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I knew it already, but here's one for the uninitiated. The most talented member of the Rolling Stones, early member of the 27 club and exponent of the dulcimer in a bluesy rock and roll band. I bring you Mr Brian Jones and his band:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
What exactly do you have against Freddie Mercury and, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, what has prompted you to make a fool of yourself on two separate threads? An opinion is one thing, but declaring one of the world's greatest singers average as a statement of fact is frankly dumb.

I don't have anything against Freddie Mercury, when I see him mentioned I just give my opinion, like a sort of running joke to those without a humour bypass.
Evidence to the contrary eh, so everyone else in the world agrees with your opinion on Freddy Mercury, well aren't you the lucky one, though I think you may be disappointed to find that not everyone agrees that he was 'one of the worlds greatest singers'.
If giving one's opinion is considered by you to be making a fool of oneself then 100% of everyone posting on here is guilty, including you.
I don't like celery either, so I suppose I am making a fool of myself by not liking 'one of the worlds greatest vegetables'.
Better climb off that high horse, or should I say 'one of the worlds greatest mammals'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here