Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pussy Riot. The Haunt 19 Nov.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Thanks for the heads up , Dunno what their music will be like , but admire them greatly
Too right. It takes some guts to protest so vociferously against someone like Putin within Russia itself. They've certainly been prepared to suffer for their beliefs and their art. I wouldn't fancy spending nearly two years in a Russian gaol like two of them have. It's not just the state that they risk reprisals from its also certain dubious sections of their society, a prime example of which made their presence felt in France during the last Euros.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else go today?

Correct use of a Sunday afternoon. Watch the sun set over the magnificent decaying ruins of the West Pier (how do the starlings DO that?!) then across the road to Pool Valley, to The Haunt, for the sold out Sunday matinee of 'Riot Days', a one hour mix of music, movie and punk propaganda led by Maria Alyokhina, one third of Russian agitprop collective Pussy Riot. I'd feared the worst, that it would be something of an incoherent mess. Far from it! The cleverly joined-up piece narrates the lead-up to, and execution of a demonstration against the Putin-led Russian State and Orthodox church in a Moscow cathedral in February 2012 in the run-up to the following month's election, the subsequent trial and imprisonment of the band, and the relentless challenging of the prison authorities for convicts to be treated as human beings with basic human rights, as told from the viewpoint of Alyokhina. It's sparse, grinding and spell-binding and the all-Russian narration adds beautifully to the harshness of the piece (there's English subtitles on the accompanying movie). In the end it's about not letting the bast*rds grind you down, or as Alyokhina puts it 'to back down an inch is to give up a mile'. Punk's not dead, it just evolved.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Anybody else go today?

Correct use of a Sunday afternoon. Watch the sun set over the magnificent decaying ruins of the West Pier (how do the starlings DO that?!) then across the road to Pool Valley, to The Haunt, for the sold out Sunday matinee of 'Riot Days', a one hour mix of music, movie and punk propaganda led by Maria Alyokhina, one third of Russian agitprop collective Pussy Riot. I'd feared the worst, that it would be something of an incoherent mess. Far from it! The cleverly joined-up piece narrates the lead-up to, and execution of a demonstration against the Putin-led Russian State and Orthodox church in a Moscow cathedral in February 2012 in the run-up to the following month's election, the subsequent trial and imprisonment of the band, and the relentless challenging of the prison authorities for convicts to be treated as human beings with basic human rights, as told from the viewpoint of Alyokhina. It's sparse, grinding and spell-binding and the all-Russian narration adds beautifully to the harshness of the piece (there's English subtitles on the accompanying movie). In the end it's about not letting the bast*rds grind you down, or as Alyokhina puts it 'to back down an inch is to give up a mile'. Punk's not dead, it just evolved.

No but sounds interesting....judging by Hopkins post earlier in the thread he would have been a tad disappointed

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I went this afternoon. I didn't exactly have the desire to singalong,or to buy any of their albums. However, it was thought provoking and I'm really glad that I went. They're incredibly brave to protest so vehemently against Russia's latest Tsar. Does being released from prison really constitute 'freedom' ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anybody else go today?

That's what all gigs will be like if Corbyn is elected. :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
SO! , 1 .he didnt go ,
2, Nicked your review
3. got paid for it ! , probably only a tenner
Fraudulent nonetheless

That's about the strength of it.

I went to the matinee. Could have posted my review before the evening show even started but didn't wan't to post a spoiler for that one. Reckon he did actually go to the matinee showing because the accompanying photo was taken by the annoying woman directly in front of me annoyingly blocking much of the view with her cheapo camera.

He nicked the second half of his review totally from mine. Probably nicked the first half from somewhere else (could probably Google in seconds if I could be arsed).

Might THINK he's going to be paid for it, but if the Argus editor does his/her job properly in response to my complaint, that money will be going to the Argus Christmas Appeal instead :wink:

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Anybody else go today?

Yeah I went with a friend, we left quite shocked. I (stupidly) was expecting a crazy Russian punk band, even knowing their history. That drug they were given sounds like hell on Earth. A water bottle hit my head and I picked it up. When I got home I was still clutching it

Yeah, the Starlings were amazing too! Were you standing at the back btw?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here