Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Brighton are heading back to the Championship?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Getting interesting. They, PL fans do NOT know what to expect from the Albion. (called the Albion by the press from our very first match against Shoreham).

They haven't got a clue!

All other tests say they are clued up enough.

Spend (or not spend) a century in Division 3 with like of fellow southern clubs like Bournemouth and Watford and our most famous player is bandage wearing headbanger from 83.

B R U N O !

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The players should be made to read this, it would really piss me off if I read this and motivate me to make him eat his words.
Print it, frame it and put it on the changing room wall.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Poorly researched and poorly written by a Millwall fan.

He might be right, of course, but he needs to write a bit better than that if he wants people to take notice.

Load of shite - Not your post Bozza the article written- Brighton's best business in transfer market is still to be done. Huddersfield's is possibly already done. He is suggesting in his article that he knows who Brighton are rumoured to be after - Like hell he does. He hasn't a clue....

is he really a Millwall fan ? Shame on him.. should have words - And anyway CH could keep even the current squad up but it wont be this squad. It will be better

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Couldn't finish the article. Result MIGHT end up being that way, but he was clearly clueless about last season and our signings so far. Also the article is about 40 days too early

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Crap article that tells you nothing other than we haven't signed many players. Nothing to explain the possible thinking or rationale behind this apparent reluctance.

Also says new keeper is an improvement due to the number of clean sheets he kept last season - by my recall Stockdale kept 20 or more clean sheets last season, so while Ryan's addition may have been a necessity it is not necessarily an improvement.

Lazy journalism / blogging, maybe he could get a job with a local rag...

el punal

Here we go again. The end of the world is nigh. We've just finished a long, exciting roller coaster ride of a journey to get to the Premier League and some of you (a lot of you) are already into your doom and gloom picnic. We haven't even started the season yet and you've already consigned us to the dustbin of relegation.

FFS!! Get a life, and let's enjoy our status as a top League club for however long it lasts. :rant:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Here we go again. The end of the world is nigh. We've just finished a long, exciting roller coaster ride of a journey to get to the Premier League and some of you (a lot of you) are already into your doom and gloom picnic. We haven't even started the season yet and you've already consigned us to the dustbin of relegation.

FFS!! Get a life, and let's enjoy our status as a top League club for however long it lasts. :rant:
This

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We haven't signed enough quality or experience to survive. Great news is the transfer market hasn't closed yet so we still could sign some.

In reality...how many clubs, since the premier league started, have gained promotion from the championship and retained a premier league spot for more than the first 3 seasons. We are likely to get relegated by 2020 but need to ensure a swift return if that happens.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The current squad that scored a load of goals last season hasn't just turned to shite over the summer. Of course we may not get much out of the top six sides but the rest are up for grabs probably not a lot of difference in quality.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The club have done a good job of it so far. We have been here every summer, I'll give them the benifit of the doubt and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
To paraphrase Jurgen Klopp in the Asia Trophy preview show... As a football coach it's his job to make the footballers in his squad play better football. He's happy to go with the squad he had last year and make them better. He wants to add little bits of extra quality if possible. I can hear Hughton saying exactly the same thing. As someone else says, stick this on the changing room wall and let the majority of the players who've been so bloody successful over 92 games in two seasons get royally pissed off by being written off (YET A ****IN GAIN) before a ****ing ball is kicked

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Poorly researched and poorly written by a Millwall fan.

He might be right, of course, but he needs to write a bit better than that if he wants people to take notice.

And a note to the OP (wrt thread title), a declarative statement should not finish with a qustion mark (not even if made in an Australian accent)?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brighton: Why the Seagulls are headed back to the Championship
Whilst Chris Hughton is a good manager, his recruitment has been poor this summer and it doesn't bode well for Brighton.

Before the transfer window opened, almost everyone was tipping Huddersfield Town as the favourites to go down out of the newly promoted sides. The Terriers were the surprise package of the Championship last season and no one expected them to win promotion.
Brighton were top of the Championship for most of the season until a blunder from David Stockdale in the final game cost them the title.
Chris Hughton certainly got the best out of his players, but even that doesn’t mean he’ll be able to keep them in the top tier. RealSport take a look at why the Seagulls are headed straight for relegation.

Only one improvement

So far, Brighton have made three signings, only one of which will improve their squad significantly. Australian ‘keeper Matt Ryan is the improvement, signed to replace new Birmingham addition David Stockdale.
It is unclear as to why Stockdale gave up a chance to play in the Premier League to sign for Harry Redknapp’s side, but Ryan is arguably an improvement on him anyway.
Although he has never played in the English leagues, Ryan is tipped for big things. Last season’s record of eleven clean sheets in 26 matches is not a bad one by any stretch, so he could prove to be an excellent signing.

Failure to add goals

The other two signings, though, are poor. Even the players rumoured to be joining the club are not going to help them survive. With Glenn Murray up front, they are going to need goals from midfield next season, something that will not be provided in heavy amounts by the German Pascal Gross.
Last season, he Gross scored five goals in 33 games for Ingolstadt, who were relegated from the Bundesliga. He can be a creative force, but is unproven in the Premier League. There will have been players just as good available for a similar price who have experience of the English leagues, which will have been more beneficial to the AMEX Stadium outfit.
Brighton need to be looking at a player who could definitely score them at least ten goals. When you look at sides at the bottom of last year’s table, most had a striker that made an impact. Crystal Palace with Christian Benteke, Swansea with Fernando Llorente and Sunderland with Jermain Defoe.
Look at Alvaro Negredo at Middlesbrough last year, he scored nine goals, but it would have been a much higher tally had Aitor Karanka assembled a side with wingers who could cross well and find the former City striker. Brighton do have wingers like Anthony Knockaert who have a good end product, but it may not be enough with Murray up front.

Ageing squad

Brighton’s captain Bruno is 36, whilst their strikers are aged 28, 29 and 33. These players will all be low on pace, and most of them cannot even be called upon for the sake of their Premier League experience.
Only Glenn Murray, Steve Sidwell and Liam Rosenior have real experience of playing in the first tier over prolonged periods of time, which in itself could cause issues.
You need a mix of players with that experience to guide those without, which Brighton lack. Look at Burnley, for example, the likes of Matt Lowton and Sam Vokes and more had experience in the top tier.
With a lack of this guidance, players could struggle to adapt and perform poorly whilst finding their feet, leading to much larger issues.

RealSport verdict: 20th place

Brighton simply don’t have enough about them to even mount a challenge for survival. Their spirit alone will not be enough in this division, and we could be looking at something similar to Derby’s record low points total.

I took off my rose tinted spectacles before reading this young mans piece of work & to be totally honest I can't find anything wrong with his assessment and prediction.

That is not say I hope he is wrong.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Having read all that, I feel much more positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This kid has very little idea about us or our squad. His assessment of Gross is based purely on his scoring numbers, when in fact he was signed for his chance-creating. The recruitment department's record over the past few seasons is not too shabby, and as for reluctance to spend, I think TB understands more than most about when to put money on the table.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here