Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Brighton are heading back to the Championship?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
the Premier League is different to the Championship in many ways, as such you can play a different style of football to what you have done in the Championship and it might be that Hughton (who knows it well) realises this and understands that certain players might actually be better suited for it.

Not that it's any consolation but many people have the Clarets written off (including our own fans) because we hadn't signed Ronaldo, Messi or jumped in a Tardis and nicked Maradonna at the same point last season. I've got a lot of respect for Hughton and I think many neutral fans have as well. The most important thing is a good atmosphere and players knowing what's expected. It'll be tough (as it will be for us) but I think Brighton will stay up next season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Boro made to many changes upsetting team spirit and haha got relegated. It's not all about recruitment and spending zillions on players as we learnt last season.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
My German mates tell me Gross is like a much better version of Darren Currie, a great signing who can put the ball on a sixpence. So a wrong assessment. In any case I personally would actually like us to give the majority of the team who have performed so well over the last two seasons the opportunity to play most games next season - the team spirit alone is worth 3 Premier League showboaters. For me, it's the achievement of getting to the PL which counts, and the players who did so should be rewarded. That achievement isn't tarnished if we go back down because we will be once again challenging for promotion and playing great football in an exciting, level playing field of a league if we do. I trust Hughton and the Board to make good choices about signings and not recruit for the sake of it: I'm looking forward to see us give our all and seeing what happens. Win-win of a season, wherever we end up.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Only one improvement

Bollocks.

We needed a #10 - we got a #10
We needed a left back - we got a left back

He's right about the goalkeeper.

Failure to add goals

Goals won't be provided by Pascal Groß? Assuming he means that Groß won't be scoring them which is probably fair enough but provided implies creating and Groß was the leading chance creator in the entire Bundesliga last season. So, again, bollocks.

OItherwise, yep, we do need a striker.

Ageing squad

Yep, the squad is on the older side. Yet with age comes experience, knowledge, wisdom and guile. So, once more, bollocks.

RealSport verdict: 20th place

RealSport? Who the f**k are RealSport.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My German mates tell me Gross is like a much better version of Darren Currie, a great signing who can put the ball on a sixpence. So a wrong assessment. In any case I personally would actually like us to give the majority of the team who have performed so well over the last two seasons the opportunity to play most games next season - the team spirit alone is worth 3 Premier League showboaters. For me, it's the achievement of getting to the PL which counts, and the players who did so should be rewarded. That achievement isn't tarnished if we go back down because we will be once again challenging for promotion and playing great football in an exciting, level playing field of a league if we do. I trust Hughton and the Board to make good choices about signings and not recruit for the sake of it: I'm looking forward to see us give our all and seeing what happens. Win-win of a season, wherever we end up.

Well said.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Good post.

I'm particularly impressed with your German friends' in-depth knowledge of mid-noughties lower league midfielders.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As, for some reason, we seem to give a toss about a Millwall fan's badly researched and written article, I thought I'd give it a go.

WHY MILLWALL ARE HEADED BACK TO THE LEAGUE ONE

Millwall were promoted from League One last season in the playoffs which automatically means they are worse than the other 2 teams which came up.

The Den Stadium outfit needed strong recruitment this summer as the Championship is a harder division. They signed Tom Elliot from AFC Wimbledon who is a striker but (quickly checks Wikipedia which is the epitome of research) they are not in the championship so he wont be any good and (checks Wikipedia again) he only scored FIVE goals last season!!!!
They then signed Connor McLaughlin from Fleetwood. Again, he is not any good as they are in League One and I've not heard of him.
George Saville might be alright as he's played for Wolves.

So all in all the Lions fans will be DEEPLY nervous about their chances next season.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I took off my rose tinted spectacles before reading this young mans piece of work & to be totally honest I can't find anything wrong with his assessment and prediction.

That is not say I hope he is wrong.

But that ignores the major flaw in the article which assumes that we will not make any more signings in the rest of the window!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I think that moans from, shall we say, an element among the more recent recruits to the Albion cause are inevitable re the signing issue. I'm sure some people would have liked us to have recruited some PL journeymen or 'taken a chance' on Neto. I am pretty sure we'll be signing a few more players, and I hope they are ones we haven't heard of...they are often the best :)

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Gross can't be any good. A 16 year old Millwall kid has said so.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
The poll with the article is slightly less pessimistic with 1177 votes 67% say we will survive.................................Well done all!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here