Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chester Bennington dies age 41

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Me: "Did you know who Chester Bennington was a few hours ago?"

Mrs Bozza: "No idea, no."

Please tell me you refer to your other half as Mrs Bozza regularly when out and about, or to her face. That idea makes me chuckle.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That I didn't think it was necessary to belittle those who had not heard of the chap.

Absolutely, yes. His work clearly touched a lot of people, who thought a great deal of him. For anyone to pass at such a young age, particularly someone with such a wide reach, is tragic.

You may have interpreted them as scornful, but they weren't. Not by a long way. You seem quite quick these days to try and jump on stuff I write, so I'm not too surprised it's you that missed the point.

Well, I'd say you are a little paranoid if you think I have some sort of personal vendetta. I can remember ONE other occasion where I criticised what you wrote - when you were sneering at 'lefties', lumping all those to the left of the Tories into one homogeneous lump.

And yes, if that was the point you were making, I missed it. There's always someone on threads like this who pops up to say that the person in question meant nothing to them, and that they don't care that he or she has died. That irritates me, no matter who it is. And this time, I thought that that person was you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And yes, if that was the point you were making, I missed it. There's always someone on threads like this who pops up to say that the person in question meant nothing to them, and that they don't care that he or she has died. That irritates me, no matter who it is. And this time, I thought that that person was you.

It was clearly a clumsy series of posts. By way of further background: it was [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] who was being a bit pointed about someone not knowing who Chester was and suggesting they can't like music. I was at the same gig as him a few weeks ago and, as I highlighted, also didn't know who Chester was. As such I do like music and some that Wozza also likes.

Maybe I should have just sent him an email.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Sad - one of the best voices in modern rock music, could go from a scream to the cleanest of high notes like few could.

Shame like usual a thread on here derails into bickering by 'adults'

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I too had no idea who he was, but i just watched the Madrid video posted earlier on this thread and thought 'yep, the bloke was good'. RIP young man.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It was clearly a clumsy series of posts. By way of further background: it was [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] who was being a bit pointed about someone not knowing who Chester was and suggesting they can't like music. I was at the same gig as him a few weeks ago and, as I highlighted, also didn't know who Chester was. As such I do like music and some that Wozza also likes.

Maybe I should have just sent him an email.

And, to be clear, I was responding to the "I don't know him, so he can't have been that good/big" undertones from Whitewhatever, and the subsequent dismissal from him once I'd thrown around a mightily impressive sales stat.

Anyway, I bought Hybrid Theory.... but nothing from them in the 17 years since. 'Parked' them in head as naff/retired.

I actually like their latest 'pop' album but it alienated a huge percentage of their fans (even though the theme/lyrics are still depression/suicide). They really should have released it as a Chester Bennington solo project or under a different name. Regardless, I hope it goes on to be really successful now.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
And, to be clear, I was responding to the "I don't know him, so he can't have been that good/big" undertones from Whitewhatever, and the subsequent dismissal from him once I'd thrown around a mightily impressive sales stat.

Anyway, I bought Hybrid Theory.... but nothing from them in the 17 years since. 'Parked' them in head as naff/retired.

I actually like their latest 'pop' album but it alienated a huge percentage of their fans (even though the theme/lyrics are still depression/suicide). They really should have released it as a Chester Bennington solo project or under a different name. Regardless, I hope it goes on to be really successful now.

Their albums have generally mellowed a lot over the years. It's actually quite interesting listening to the albums chronologically and seeing the progression from Hybrid Theory through to 1000 Suns. I haven't listened properly to their last two albums so can't comment on the pop sound.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Very sad news. I'm not a big LP fan but liked some of their stuff and Chester was obviously a very talented singer and performer. I know LP meant an awful lot to many of the generation who grew up with their music in their formative years, and I can see why, they were / are a very genuine band. It is some comfort I guess that Chester found a way to battle some of his demons through his art, just a terrible shame it wasn't enough. But as we know only too well, or at least can empathise with, if you're suffering from depression then at your lowest points nothing is enough, family and loved ones included.

RIP Chester

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very sad, especially as I'm of the impression they were the sort of band whose lyrics connected with a lot of youngsters suffering from depression. Seems it may well have been linked to his close friend Chris Cornell's death, as he chose to do it on Cornell's (would be) birthday.

And yes, am just waiting for some absolute **** to come into the thread just to show off how they don't like Linkin Park.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The music of Linkin Park really spoke to me as a teenager and I'll forever hold a special place for them. I must have spent immeasurable hours listening to them..

Very saddened by this news.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've spent the morning listening to hybrid theory, meteora and minutes to midnight as I hadn't listened to them for a while and it's amazing just how much their music helped me through tough times such as losing my mum and my best mate and also how much certain songs could've been written about my personality traits and how I was feeling about the world around those times.
I don't think I'll ever relate to a band like I have done with LP.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've spent the morning listening to hybrid theory, meteora and minutes to midnight as I hadn't listened to them for a while and it's amazing just how much their music helped me through tough times such as losing my mum and my best mate and also how much certain songs could've been written about my personality traits and how I was feeling about the world around those times.

Minutes to Midnight is my favourite Linkin Park album. I'll be revisiting their albums and listening again with a slightly different perspective, knowing what I do now. Each generation has a band or bands who seem to capture the emotions, the angst, the pains and the dreams of the people who grow with them, and judging by the genuine grief being felt by a fair few of my friends and colleagues today it's clear Linkin Park were one of those bands (for some of them the most important band in that regard). I guess there's no greater tribute to be paid to any artist than the one you have left above.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Like many others, I find individual songs and albums tend to take us back to a time when things were tough, and we used music to help get us through (because as blokes, the one thing we don't do is talk to each other or ask for help).

Hybrid Theory was one of those albums, ultimately it doesn't matter who the singer is, or the song, but finding a connection with music, be it the lyrics or the melody can help you separate the light from the dark.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
RIP

But no idea who Chester Bennington is.

I don't understand the point of a post like this.

If you are genuine in your condolences there is absolutely no need to post that you have no idea who he is. Although surely the video El Pres posted would have given you some sort of a clue...

If you are not genuine then why bother posting(three minutes after the thread is started)? It should be obvious that the guy would mean something to at least a few people and probably a whole lot more.

It just seems a bit pointlessly snide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here