Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever really cocked up on an email ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I used to work for a FTSE 100 company in Brighton, a new memeber of staff started and had lost his glasses in one of the bathrooms. he sent an email out to several large divisions of the business asking if anyone had seen his glasses in the toilet. as others have mentioned it got the usual responces but the best was a few days later when he replied to all providing an update that they had been found!

on one of our whatsapp group chats recently we have a group of all albion season ticket holders and a stag group, all season ticket holders are going on the stag, however the stag doesnt know, i put in the wrong group chat, how much were your flights to Vienna. To which the stag replied thanks for letting me know, i was wondering what i should pack. The best man wasnt too happy with me.

Also in my younger days I have been messaging two girls at the same time, which lead to a nasty case of me sending the wrong message to one of them, I got caught out, she told the other, who said she was fully aware what I was up to and wasnt bothered. classy girl!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
on a boring nightshift at IBM in Holland, my shift colleague decided to send me a picture of an extremely hairy vagina, with the caption... you have been bearded.
I didnt receive it, but my namesake who was EMEA Financial VP in Paris did. When my colleague asked me what I thought of the picture, I told him I havnt received it, and showed him my email box, adding that a major boss in Europe had the same name as me.. did you use my middle name initial in the mail?
He went white, and was so overcome, he left the office 'sick'.
The VP took it quite well, as we had been receiving each others mail for sometime.
Dave, I think this is for you haha

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Also in my younger days I have been messaging two girls at the same time, which lead to a nasty case of me sending the wrong message to one of them, I got caught out, she told the other, who said she was fully aware what I was up to and wasnt bothered. classy girl!

Happened to me recently. An old gf from back in the day found me on FB. I was seeing her sister as well back in the day. I thought I was talking to her sister. She wasnt impressed, but time passing etc softened it.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I setup my own company at the start of the year, and was doing my best to avoid my old employers find out for as long as possible so I wouldn't get any legal hassle from them. One of the first things I did was setup an email adress info@newcompany.com then I tested it to check it out and for some bizarre reason accidentally sent a test email to info@oldcompany.com

The phone rang about 2 seconds later, which I ignored, and then I immediately received an email from my old boss saying 'Did your test work?'.

Busted. 3 days in.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I setup my own company at the start of the year, and was doing my best to avoid my old employers find out for as long as possible so I wouldn't get any legal hassle from them. One of the first things I did was setup an email adress info@newcompany.com then I tested it to check it out and for some bizarre reason accidentally sent a test email to info@oldcompany.com

The phone rang about 2 seconds later, which I ignored, and then I immediately received an email from my old boss saying 'Did your test work?'.

Busted. 3 days in.

This isn't the worst example on the thread, but for some reason it tickled me more than any of the others. Terrific work.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
This isn't the worst example on the thread, but for some reason it tickled me more than any of the others. Terrific work.

Yeah it wasn't great. The worst thing was I'd been banging on and on to my business partner about how important it was to keep it quiet for as long as possible, and that he needed to be ultra cautious in everything he did. Then I had to tell him that I'd emailed them directly and basically said "Hi, I've set up my own company".

Idiot.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yeah it wasn't great. The worst thing was I'd been banging on and on to my business partner about how important it was to keep it quiet for as long as possible, and that he needed to be ultra cautious in everything he did. Then I had to tell him that I'd emailed them directly and basically said "Hi, I've set up my own company".

Idiot.

You could have just tried to play it off as a massively ballsy move. 'Yeah, I've set up my own company. What's more, I'm brazenly letting you know by 'accidentally' sending you a test email'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Idiot.

I was working for a group of companies and was trying to recruit a DBA for one of them. I got sent the cv of a DBA who worked for one of the other companies. I wandered over, handed him the letter and suggested he may want to have a word with the recruitment agency he was using :smile:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I was involved in a property development project a few years back that was severely delayed due to planning permission issues (and no, it wasn't the Amex :lolol:). To cut a long story short, finally planning permission was granted, with us receiving a slightly begrudging email from one of the local councilors who'd been the main opponent of the scheme. A few emails went back and forth between different colleagues, with some choice language in about said local councilor. Sadly, this all came to a very awkward end when another colleague decided to email the councilor to thank him for his eventual co-operation in the scheme, but forgetting to remove the chain of communications below calling him every name under the sun.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Company I worked at until recently steadfastly refused to use any known Microsoft product and used open source software etc etc.. Having worked for the company for a few months I was due some annual leave and tried to implement an automated 'out of office' response to my customers, I asked the IT dept but they just said it could not be done. I was unwilling to accept this and so turned to the web for info. I then created the said response in my email client/server/program boxxocks and went on my holiday.

The IT director received MANY THOUSANDS of emails whilst I was away as his address picked up anything that didn't actually have a valid address as one of my clients had also activated a similar process. This led to one email being bounced to the other repeatedly and the IT chap getting every one as donotreply etc was read as unknown. Took him about 3 or 4 days to solve it and a massive rise in blood pressure! The moral of the story is not to cut corners when your staff are trying to appear professional!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
on a boring nightshift at IBM in Holland, my shift colleague decided to send me a picture of an extremely hairy vagina, with the caption... you have been bearded.
I didnt receive it, but my namesake who was EMEA Financial VP in Paris did. When my colleague asked me what I thought of the picture, I told him I havnt received it, and showed him my email box, adding that a major boss in Europe had the same name as me.. did you use my middle name initial in the mail?
He went white, and was so overcome, he left the office 'sick'.
The VP took it quite well, as we had been receiving each others mail for sometime.
Dave, I think this is for you haha

IBM -Zoetemeer? And you worked at Amex in Brighton? Weird, so have I...

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Spookey. I was doing Frame Relay in Zoetermeer. In the comms center at Amex for years. I did sit in on an interiew with somebody from Amex though but didnt know the guy

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Awkwardness today.

Someone emailed me for the second time late yesterday afternoon, chasing up some numbers that I hadn't got round to sending (probably too busy on here). I was almost on my way out of the door, so I just rattled off a quick reply which said:

"Sorry I didn't respond to your precious email, I'll come back to you first thing tomorrow", sent it, and logged off.

Obviously I meant PREVIOUS not PRECIOUS. So I got in this morning to a rather snarky reply from him which just said "Nice attitude". :facepalm:

I've had to call him and apologise, with my feeble explanation that it was honestly just a typo. I don't know him very well though, so I'm not sure he was convinced. This is probably the second most embarrassing thing to have happened to me in this office this calendar year. I hate emails.

*sigh*
That's pretty mild and obviously just a mistake. I slagged someone off in an email last week and sent to them rather than the intended recipient. Luckily they weren't too angry about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's pretty mild and obviously just a mistake. I slagged someone off in an email last week and sent to them rather than the intended recipient. Luckily they weren't too angry about it.

It might be pretty mild, but I was still quite embarrassed. I'm just not in the habit of sending sarcastic emails like that (at least not in a professional capacity).

That would make me a BELLCHEESE. Which I try not to be.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Old story, not mine - I heard some time back ...

Some lads on a stag-do in Amsterdam and one of them sent a text back to his wife: "Wish you were here" but missed off the last letter ....

Ooops !

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Spookey. I was doing Frame Relay in Zoetermeer. In the comms center at Amex for years. I did sit in on an interiew with somebody from Amex though but didnt know the guy

I was in zoetemeer from about may 1997 to September 1997 living in the Hague. Next job was Amex from 07/97 to 02/15 but did have about 3 or 4 breaks in that time.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I was in zoetemeer from about may 1997 to September 1997 living in the Hague. Next job was Amex from 07/97 to 02/15 but did have about 3 or 4 breaks in that time.

ok was a bit after you in Zoetermeer from 98 till 02 . Was in Comms center at Amex for most of the 80s. Was on contract at IBM so lived in Noordeinde with posh neighbours :)
Took permanent job with KPN and moved to less salubrious surroundings, but still love The Hague.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My first foray into the London IT market was with a niche trading & settlement company called Synopsys (they don't exist anymore).

We had this odd rule that in order to send emails outside of the company you had to put an '=' sign as the 1st symbol in the subject line. If you tried to send an email out without this the email bounced back with a notification.

I was managing the UAT of the upcoming release (this was before the days of Good etc) and in order to keep an eye on progress one evening I decided to setup a forward of any emails I received to my personal email account.

Well, clearly I forgot to add the '=' in the rule and as soon as I got an email it tried to send it out, it bounced back and so began an infinite loop of emails. Now, clearly not everyone in the company SAW them, but they saw the impact, as I had close to 200k of emails on the server by the morning. Luckily I was in early and the IT manager was a good bloke, so were able to clean up the mess before it affected the owners!

Why didn't you just get into your Tardis and . . . . oh, timelines . . . . :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here