Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ripen in the bowl

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You don't get this nonsense with apples.

You get a different nonsense with apples. I like eating small, crunchy, tangy apples. The supermarkets seem to think we only want GIANT apples with barely any flavour.

You can only buy the small ones in packs. Why? I'm not going to eat 15 apples in a week, and there's no reason to sell them in bulk.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
plan ahead and buy your nectarines last Sunday.

Funnily enough that is what we did. Just had the first one about an hour ago.

Very tasty but juice all over the desk....(managed to get most of it on a sheet of A4 which is now RUINED)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hate biting on a pip!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I genuinely feel sorry for you - but also a little smug - as I picked the last 2 peaches, ripe to perfection, this morning. Boy did they taste superb!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
While we're at it, for all the ways they now have of getting you to scan their produce - which saves them money in checkout staff. If you want me to use those, I want a discount

The benefit of using scan as you go is you don't have to visit a member of the checkout team and converse with them "How are you today", "What are your plans for today", "Did you find all you wanted today" - that's worth more than money

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
What the actual ****?

I bought 5 nectarines from Tesco yesterday morning, and they're still not ready to eat. I wanted to eat a ****ing nectarine yesterday, and am still waiting.

Provide me ripe ****ing fruit when I want it.

:ffsparr:

Presumably they had a second already ripe option?!

Typically I buy all soft fruits from local green grocers as they've already had time to ripen in transit rather than be semi-frozen to suspend the ripening process and preserve the sell by date of supermarket fruits.

Chuffing annoying none the less!

Put bananas in the bowl with them

THIS. They release Ozone (O3) which with the additional free radicles oxidises the fruit which enforces ripening ahead of time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What the actual ****?

I bought 5 nectarines from Tesco yesterday morning, and they're still not ready to eat. I wanted to eat a ****ing nectarine yesterday, and am still waiting.

Just grow a pear!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8028921 said:
Put them in a closed brown paper bag with a banana or two :thumbsup:

Works a treat but the bananas are usually ****ed by the time you get round to eating them...........effectively adds to the cost of the nectarines :shrug:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It's a well known fact that keeping avocados in a woollen sock will ripen them quickly. Apparently it's the lanolin in the wool that does it. Not sure about nectarines but worth a try.
Ps. Might be an idea not to wear them beforehand

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What the actual ****?

I like 'em hard. Stick them in the fridge and they're ready.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here