Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New manager for Albion women's team

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must admit, the results of the Albions womens team is completely off my radar, and I cannot envisage ever actually making the effort to go and watch them. But I hope they have fun.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It would be a good statement of intent to have her with Chris on the Fans' Forum - that would really show we take women'sf football seriously

But we don't take women's football seriously. It's being forced down our throats by the PC brigade. How many people read the pages in the programme about the women's team? No one that I know.
Notts County are one of just four top-flight women's clubs with an average attendance of more than 1,000 and their numbers have dropped by almost 17%. Proof in my mind that in reality there is little interest. Why don't we all just accept that football is a man's game? Women have hockey, lacrosse and netball. Why don't they develop those into major sports if they think there's an audience?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
But we don't take women's football seriously. It's being forced down our throats by the PC brigade. How many people read the pages in the programme about the women's team? No one that I know.
Notts County are one of just four top-flight women's clubs with an average attendance of more than 1,000 and their numbers have dropped by almost 17%. Proof in my mind that in reality there is little interest. Why don't we all just accept that football is a man's game? Women have hockey, lacrosse and netball. Why don't they develop those into major sports if they think there's an audience?
I hope that we get the weather lady with one arm, Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock and one of the made up Muslim mayors you think exist as backroom staff so your bigoted little head finally explodes. WUM or not, your posts are, by and large, vile.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Your attendance statistic, if correct, is a good illustration of the different levels of interest.

I think you probably should have left it there though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

:fishing:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I hope that we get the weather lady with one arm, Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock and one of the made up Muslim mayors you think exist as backroom staff so your bigoted little head finally explodes. WUM or not, your posts are, by and large, vile.

The reality is that I say things that the majority are thinking but are afraid to say for fear of upsetting someone. I just happen to speak my mind. Since when was that not permitted?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You may not have noticed but a significant percentage of our home support is now female, and there are plenty of girls who will be inspired by seeing a successful female football arm of the club. No-one is forcing you to like it though.

If you want to talk about attendance in women's football, league attendances are averaging 1,100 - still small, but importantly, growing.
A fact highlighted by last season's record FA cup final attendance of 35,271.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Your attendance statistic, if correct, is a good illustration of the different levels of interest.

I think you probably should have left it there though.

One more statistic, then I'll leave it: Sunderland, in their second top-flight season, experienced the biggest decline - almost 24% to 710 - while Liverpool averaged gates of 724, a fall of almost 10%.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Having a pathway for girls to play at the highest level is a good thing.

It does however highlight the issue of young girls playing a sport in large numbers does not translate into large numbers of female spectators at female sports.

Many people cry out for equality but when the product is placed before them they don't support it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The reality is that I say things that the majority are thinking but are afraid to say for fear of upsetting someone. I just happen to speak my mind. Since when was that not permitted?
It is permitted, numbnuts. So is calling you out as a bigot. And the breathtaking arrogance to assume you know what the majority are thinking.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One more statistic, then I'll leave it: Sunderland, in their second top-flight season, experienced the biggest decline - almost 24% to 710 - while Liverpool averaged gates of 724, a fall of almost 10%.

You won't find me arguing against a significant difference in the level of interest. I don't see how anyone could.

That's not to say I agree with the reasoning you presented beyond the statistics.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Not sure it does.

I'm not sure even you could make a case that across the Albion fanbase there is the same level of interest in the women's team that there is in the men's first team.

Of course I can't. But the reasoning behind my post was - what problem would the 'average' Albion fan have with Hope Powell being at the Fans' Forum?

As many say on here - women's football is off their radar. That's a pity because those who do go and watch them appreciate what a good side they are. If Hope Powell's appointment says nothing else - it says the Albion is taking women's football seriously. So if the club can do it, why can't we?

I'd like to make a suggestion to everyone on here. Head over to Culver Road for one - JUST ONE - match this season. What have you got to lose apart from a wasted few hours in Lancing? Actually, bad point to make - but you get my drift.

ONE MATCH - is it too much to ask? For some, maybe - but for others...? Especially for those with young daughters or nieces who would like to have something to aspire to or heroes to appreciate.

Then make your mind up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You may not have noticed but a significant percentage of our home support is now female, and there are plenty of girls who will be inspired by seeing a successful female football arm of the club. No-one is forcing you to like it though.

That's the issue. Despite being over half the population numerically in most western nations all these women's sports aren't translating into large numbers of women supporting women's sports.

Your example of the Albion is a good one. Is this significant % of women that support the Albion flocking to watch the women's matches as well as or instead of the mens?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As many say on here - women's football is off their radar. That's a pity because those who do go and watch them appreciate what a good side they are. If Hope Powell's appointment says nothing else - it says the Albion is taking women's football seriously. So if the club can do it, why can't we?

Same reason people don't get over excited by the U23's.

People by nature prefer to watch the highest quality of the game they can. If you're a Brighton fan that is the mens senior team.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Who is this mythical 'PC Brigade' of which you speak? Can you name them all?

We don't 'just accept football is man's game' because football isn't only a man's game. Quite simple, really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course I can't. But the reasoning behind my post was - what problem would the 'average' Albion fan have with Hope Powell being at the Fans' Forum?

I would imagine that key for most in attendance will be the upcoming Premier League season and various points of interest related to that. It's typically a relatively short event (an hour?) so any time spent on the women's team is time not spent on what most fans are there for. All my assumptions of course, but I suspect I'm not too far away.

I'd like to make a suggestion to everyone on here. Head over to Culver Road for one - JUST ONE - match this season. What have you got to lose apart from a wasted few hours in Lancing? Actually, bad point to make - but you get my drift.

ONE MATCH - is it too much to ask? For some, maybe - but for others...? Especially for those with young daughters or nieces who would like to have something to aspire to or heroes to appreciate.

Indeed. I'll make sure I get along at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here