Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New manager for Albion women's team

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So does having absolutely no interest in women's football or rugby automatically make me a misogynist male chauvinist pig?

No, and no-one has made that assertion.

However, those who believe women's football has no right to exist could easily have that label slapped on them.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I like the odd game of Womens football. I look at it in the same way I look at women's tennis. The same but different. I don't make constant comparisons with men's football as that's not relevant or helpful. I enjoy it in its own right. I'd watch more if I could justify the time.

It's a great appointment.

The Dr. Who thread and this one make me feel for the poor women in the lives of some of the contributors.

The irony that that comes across as being patronising to those women.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I don't see how looking at attendance figures really proves the worth in anything. The mens game has been around for over 100 years, it has benefited from vast sums of money and exposure in that time. The women game hasn't had any of this and even now it is only starting to get some TV airtime (and even then hardly at ideal times). It's way behind mens football as a consumer sport but that's hardly surprising it is? I just don't see why people have to come on to threads like this just to try and make a point that it should be scrapped or is somehow not worthwhile? If it helps to get young girls playing sport, living healthier lives and provides excellent role models for them then whats the bloody problem?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Every time I think that the whole "everyday sexism" thing is bullshit I just have to open a thread like this.

I'm so far from PC that I have even been accused (incorrectly) of sexism on here recently. But seriously, some of you dicks on this thread need to drag yourselves out of the last century and give yourselves a slap.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So does having absolutely no interest in women's football or rugby automatically make me a misogynist male chauvinist pig? Because I wouldn't cross the road to watch either.
No, it doesn't. But dismissing women's football because it is played by women and you therefore have no interest and can't see why anyone else would (as some, not you, have done on here) does.

Also, commenting on a thread about women's football to say that you have no interest in women's football does seem a bit peculiar. I have no interest in carp fishing but would not dream of going on a carp fishing thread and saying that carp fishing was a boring waste of time and that the only worthwhile form of fishing was fly-fishing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So does having absolutely no interest in women's football or rugby automatically make me a misogynist male chauvinist pig? Because I wouldn't cross the road to watch either. Am I gay because I wouldn't bother to watch a game of women's volleyball on the beach either?

I am getting very confused here :down:

For those who love women's football it is a great signing for the Albion women's team, it has to be said.

Eh? YOU'RE confused? All I was doing was stretching Goldstone's point a bit further – to the point (I thought) of ridiculous parody. Apologies for any offence caused :shrug:

I tend NOT to judge people whatever they are interested or not interested in, which is (I think) the point you're making. If there is an interest in ANYTHING, then there is a point to it and people should bother. Anything that encourages folk to engage, exercise and/or learn, I'm all for.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As an aside, I presume that the story about Gully's Girls returning is just nonsense then (?) because otherwise as far as I can see it would send totally the wrong message out about the role of women at BHA.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, it doesn't. But dismissing women's football because it is played by women and you therefore have no interest and can't see why anyone else would (as some, not you, have done on here) does.

Also, commenting on a thread about women's football to say that you have no interest in women's football does seem a bit peculiar. I have no interest in carp fishing but would not dream of going on a carp fishing thread and saying that carp fishing was a boring waste of time and that the only worthwhile form of fishing was fly-fishing.

I only commented because it seemed, from some comments on here, not being impressed was somehow a slur on women :shrug:

I do get the point of your post though, I fecking hate any type of fishing btw...I enjoy it even less than rock climbing..am I on the wrong thread?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A bit like going to Worthing last season?? How many games did you make it to in the end? :wink:

I might have made it to one. It was no more than that anyway, so your dig is annoyingly accurate.

I shall attempt to make it to at least 2 (two) this coming season. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
For someone who comes on here demonstrating staggering depths of stupidity, ignorance, bigotry, xenophobia, misogeny et al, on a regular basis, that's rich. &

See you made all that up in your mind because you are too simple to comprehend. In a thread where I said women's football is a good thing in your mind that equals misogyny. Brilliant logic!

Something you can't even spell by the way. Too funny.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
See you made all that up in your mind because you are too simple to comprehend. In a thread where I said women's football is a good thing in your mind that equals misogyny. Brilliant logic!

Something you can't even spell by the way. Too funny.

I'll let you have that one, leaving you with just the stupidity, ignorance, bigotry, xenophobia et al.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Great appointment that. It certainly is a statement of intent.

I had the opportunity to interview a number of the women's team last year as part of a film we were pulling together on gender parity. The professionalism and commitment was infectious. I really want them to see them achieve the same success as the men's team, and meeting some of them certainly helped turn my head towards the game they play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Oh dear - on many levels. :facepalm:

No, Goldstone doesn't make any valid points.

He believes women's football has no right to exist on three main points - the perceived lack of interest, it only ticks the box of a 'PC Brigade' and his psychedelic, parallel-universe conention that it's only a game for males.

Let's take them one at a time. If he believes it shouldn't exist due to a lack of interest, then nor should powerchair football, blind football, amputee football, reserve matches and polo. If the crowds aren't there then, but his reasoning, they shouldn't be taking place either. In other words, football should only exist for the sake of commerce. Taking that to its logical conclusion, Goldstone is an armchair fan with no concept of what he claims to support - a FOOTBALL club.

Secondly - this mythical 'PC Brigade'. A phrase of no meaning. Since when was it 'politically correct' to allow women to play football? Liking women's football doesn't make you 'politically correct', it makes you a fan of football.

Which leads us to the third point - since when was it actually correct to not allow women to play football? What are the actual physical, societal and egalitarian contexts within which women aren't allowed to play?

I'm not 100% sure whether your post, meanwhile, was made tongue-in-cheek, or whether you were being serious regarding women's roles in society. But I'll leave it there hanging anyway.

Thought I wouldn't contribute any more gems to this thread, but now I have to.

I did not say the women's game had no right to exist. I merely asked why the Albion bothers to have a women's team and what it contributes to the club. And I don't think I suggested that women shouldn't be allowed to play football. I merely wondered why they had decided to involve themselves in what have traditionally been male sports (such as football and rugby) rather than further developing sports which have traditionally been women's sports (such as netball, lacrosse and hockey). Two reasonable questions I would have thought.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear - on many levels. :facepalm:

No, Goldstone doesn't make any valid points.

He believes women's football has no right to exist on three main points - the perceived lack of interest, it only ticks the box of a 'PC Brigade' and his psychedelic, parallel-universe conention that it's only a game for males.

Let's take them one at a time. If he believes it shouldn't exist due to a lack of interest, then nor should powerchair football, blind football, amputee football, reserve matches and polo. If the crowds aren't there then, but his reasoning, they shouldn't be taking place either. In other words, football should only exist for the sake of commerce. Taking that to its logical conclusion, Goldstone is an armchair fan with no concept of what he claims to support - a FOOTBALL club.

Secondly - this mythical 'PC Brigade'. A phrase of no meaning. Since when was it 'politically correct' to allow women to play football? Liking women's football doesn't make you 'politically correct', it makes you a fan of football.

Which leads us to the third point - since when was it actually correct to not allow women to play football? What are the actual physical, societal and egalitarian contexts within which women aren't allowed to play?

I'm not 100% sure whether your post, meanwhile, was made tongue-in-cheek, or whether you were being serious regarding women's roles in society. But I'll leave it there hanging anyway.

Why on earth are you responding to Mouldy's wind ups?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here