Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New manager for Albion women's team

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Not sure I understand the point of the Albion's women's team. I cannot see how it earns any money for the club. How many fans go to their matches? Or, more likely, is it just one of the things the club HAS to do for various reasons that are hard to explain.

Yes, because the men's team makes Bloom so much money.... :tosser:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
England Women's Team have got a lot better since she left.

What has the former England Manager been doing since she was replaced...not in demand clearly.

Has it not occurred to you that England's rapid ascent from 2006 to 2013 may well have been down to her time in charge of the England women's team? It's excellent that Mark Sampson has continued Powell's work to take them to another level still.

And do you have first-hand, peer-test evidence that she has not been in demand? Do you know whether she has rejected any offers? You ask a question to which you only want to hear your own answer.

I refer your post to post #36 on this thread.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Ashamed to say I don't know a great deal about the structure of women's football.

I would imagine the players are not full time, or are they? In either case, is Hope Powells position full time and is she a sort of director of Brighton women's football, or purely first team coach?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Ashamed to say I don't know a great deal about the structure of women's football.

I would imagine the players are not full time, or are they? In either case, is Hope Powells position full time and is she a sort of director of Brighton women's football, or purely first team coach?

Now that they're in the Women's Super League 2 (the second highest tier in women's football in England), they are going semi-professional. If they get promoted to WSL1, they go fully professional.

Hope Powell's role is Head Coach - effectively Chris Hughton's opposite number. The Assistant Coach is Amy Merricks - she was assistant to James Marrs and George Parris before Powell's arrival.

Now that the team is in WSL2, there is an obligation for a dedicated board member associated with women's and girls' football to be in place. That role was previously held by Derek Chapman. It's now held by Michelle Walder - a non-executive director at the club.

George Parris was interim manager. He now returns to his previous role.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This raises the profile of women's football at the Albion, and this is a good, positive thing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
This gives SUBSTANTIALLY further proof that, getting saddled with supporting this club 30 odd years ago, was a good thing.

I bloody love this.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It is fantastic that the women's game is getting more coverage, I am sure everyone with a daughter would prefer them to look up to a female sport star for inspiration, then some reality show nobody. These women work really hard for the little recognition they get and should be applauded. Good to see the Albion championing the women's game.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
...... we just signed probably the best person in the world to do their job at our club.

Awesome and excellent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure I understand the point of the Albion's women's team. I cannot see how it earns any money for the club. How many fans go to their matches? Or, more likely, is it just one of the things the club HAS to do for various reasons that are hard to explain.
Because this is a FOOTBALL club.

That's what we do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would be a good statement of intent to have her with Chris on the Fans' Forum - that would really show we take women'sf football seriously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here