Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC salaries...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It is possible that Andrew Neil is paid more via other production companies etc... so it is not a full picture.

I would imagine that might only be their salaried income. I have a feeling that it won't include their ''stand alone' income for '' non continuous'' projects which the invoice independently via their ''owner managed companies''. I could be wrong on that one though.

HMRC went in and battered them in the last 15 years or so and all ''rolling contracts'' were forced to have PAYE deducted but they cannot really do anything about the ''non continious'' or ''non rolling'' contracts without adversely affecting small businesses and the UK Economy so I don't have a problem with that from HMRC and the Government point of view

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
She runs a 'production' company - Voluntad Productions Limited.

If the BBC allow her to invoice them, she wouldn't need to go through payroll.

I can't help but think any of the "stars" are PAYE.

Most must be self employed via companies which are investing in British film schemes (nudge nudge).

I suspect even Alan Yentob has managed to keep his company out of liquidation...........which given his track record should mean he deserves a tax free bonus.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don't keep it yourself love, this is a thread about transparency.....
Does it need spelling out?

I think the BBC is bloody brilliant, the licence fee is necessary and reasonable and I couldn't care less how much individuals (Shearer aside) earn when the service as a whole is better than anything else in the World.

"Transparency" is a myth. May wants private courts, private discussions, less accountability for herself and her government and yet publishing the salaries of public sector workers is somehow important?

If you see this as anything other than a continuation of the attack on public services by a government that values that ideology over everything else, then you've been fooled and therefore, you are wrong.

As I said.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree with you that governments through legislation and HMRC have made massive inroads into tackling the tax shortfall at the BBC. It was the case of John Burt, the BBC boss who avoided NI and PAYE by having his 'salary' paid to his private limited company, that brought all this to the fore.

But these scenarios must continue and relentlessly be attacked by HMRC and legislation, whether it be at the BBC, SME's or multi nationals. There is not right wing corruption in allowing tax evasion. HMRC and budgets by Brown and Osborne did so much to undermine the unfair tax advantages of an array of tax schemes at all levels. Multinationals is a difficult one - if the UK alone attacked the immoral tax avoidance at Starbucks, Amazon and so on, it would be hard to see it through to the aim you and I probably share, that they should pay the full whack of UK corporation tax on their true UK profits. We need all the major economies, plus the selfish governments exploiting this such as Ireland and Luxembourg, to all act in tandem to clamp down on this immediately and permanently.

It wasn't only him - They were all doing it but they have absolutely battered that at the BBC.

You can't absolutely change legislation ''wholesclae'' because if you wanted to change the ''wording of the laws'' to be able to capture every eventuality then the laws would be stating things like ''When Pensioner engages plumber to fix her ballcock, she must deduct tax and NIC and pay it over to HMRC quarterly. Not to mention the VAT.

That's an extreme I know but it is almost impossible to get the wording of the laws right and have it fit in with Tax Legislation and laws. Especially when such Laws change every time their is a ''Budget'' it just can't work.

The part you mention about Corporation Tax I whole Heartedly Agree 100%. The major issue with this is POS (point of sale). Where exactly is the POS when things are sold globally over the internet. Different Governments have different wording on where POS actually is

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bit of perspective....ant and Dec earned £29m last year!

I know they don't get public money, but people bitch about bbc programmes and that is why they can't afford these type of entertainers.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I like the bloke, but how the F can they possibly justify paying Lineker that much for an hour on telly (not even prime time!) once a week for 9 months of the year!?

At least Chris Evans is on the radio every day for his vast salary.

It's obvious isn't it? They pay him that because they know if they don't, he'll move to Sky / BT. It's market forces, same as football, same as basically every other industry in the world.

By all accounts the BBC underpays compared to other broadcasters.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The one thing that leapt out of me straight away is Clare Balding on just £150K - £199,999.

This woman needs to fire her agent right now. She is the face of female presenting on the BBC, omnipresent in the Olympic / Paralympic and Commonwealth Games, her range is incredible, her enthusiasm and research are exemplary. She can do literally anything. The fact that Alan Shearer is on 3 times her salary is simply baffling.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
She runs a 'production' company - Voluntad Productions Limited.

If the BBC allow her to invoice them, she wouldn't need to go through payroll.

HMRC went in and warned them about what constitutes payroll and what can be invoice via a company.

Lets say you own a Plumbing business called ''Weststander Ltd'' The BBC engages you to fit an extra toilet on the 5th Floor of their Building. You would be allowed to invoice through Weststander Ltd

However if the BBC engage you on site and have you doing all their work and the have what is known as a ''Master/Slave'' ( Very un PC I know) relationship where the BBC dictate where you work and when. In such circumstances. The BBC are now instructed that this should be under PAYE and they will deduct tax and NIC from what they pay you.

This same scenario applies to BBC workers in all aspects now but that doesn't capture about 20% of work from all sources like cameramen and presenters and sound engineers and presenters but they do capture about 80% of the work from those people so things are much better but we will never get 100% - It just can't work

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The one thing that leapt out of me straight away is Clare Balding on just £150K - £199,999.

This woman needs to fire her agent right now. She is the face of female presenting on the BBC, omnipresent in the Olympic / Paralympic and Commonwealth Games, her range is incredible, her enthusiasm and research are exemplary. She can do literally anything. The fact that Alan Shearer is on 3 times her salary is simply baffling.

But this is only bbc.

She works for c4... another publically funded station as well as commercial radio etc

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Does it need spelling out?

I think the BBC is bloody brilliant, the licence fee is necessary and reasonable and I couldn't care less how much individuals (Shearer aside) earn when the service as a whole is better than anything else in the World.

"Transparency" is a myth. May wants private courts, private discussions, less accountability for herself and her government and yet publishing the salaries of public sector workers is somehow important?

If you see this as anything other than a continuation of the attack on public services by a government that values that ideology over everything else, then you've been fooled and therefore, you are wrong.

As I said.

So you bloody love an institution that turned a blind eye to sex abusers, discriminates against its female employees, gratuitously rewards its own and criminalises the poor and you then have a rant about the Tories.......absolutely priceless.

I bet for you today is like the day after the Brexit referendum all over again.

Brilliant!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
IF they are all PAYE salaries, it's amazing to think how much of that goes to tax. Brilliant in fact, and a good thing that they are made to pay people just like everybody else instead of letting them get away with paying **** all tax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here