Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice Tories Past and Present

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
33224C0C00000578-3537456-image-m-18_1460542836400.jpg

This. Strangely other-worldly. Like some kind of scholastic monk who's been beamed down to us from a couple of centuries ago.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Maggie awful awful woman the worst type of Tory

Portillo most unlikable when an MP completely reinvented himself as a TV personality who I now enjoy listening to

Fair play to him for walking round Merthyr Tidfil town centre talking to people on his train programme..I thought not the wisest move tbh...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I find John Major more and more agreeable as the years go on. Everything he's said of late has been absolutely spot on.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Always enjoyed listening to Heseltine and Ken Clarke, agreed with them on many things especially Europe. Douglas Hurd was okay, reasonably moderate and a diplomat. And Alan Clarke was just plain hilarious in a way that Boris Johnson isn't.

As above, have agreed with most things John Major has said in recent years, his rare public pronouncements have usually been on the money.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
There's probably a lot more nice Tories than Labour. I wouldn't have said that even 3 years ago but know with Corbyn and his growing band of nasty hard left MP's that support his moronic ideas, the tide has unfortunately changed.

Been a labour supporter for 25 years, now I'm just ashamed the Labour Party has been hi jacked by the extreme left nasties.

On the basis of the original question, I actually net Jeremy Corbyn on Sunday on a one-to-one basis at the Tolpuddle Festival. He's actually a very pleasant man......... although I know what you mean about the hard=left stuff, which worries me.

I also realised a few days ago that I share an alma mater with Jacob Rees-Mogg - what a prat.

I have actually met Kenneth Clarke. A very nice bloke, and I have changed my views of Anna Soubry completely over the last few weeks as well. She seems honest and consistent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Always enjoyed listening to Heseltine and Ken Clarke, agreed with them on many things especially Europe. Douglas Hurd was okay, reasonably moderate and a diplomat. And Alan Clarke was just plain hilarious in a way that Boris Johnson isn't.

As above, have agreed with most things John Major has said in recent years, his rare public pronouncements have usually been on the money.

What a list of names there though, only illustrating how woefully short we are now (on both sides of the House) of genuine political heavyweights.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Maggie awful awful woman the worst type of Tory

Portillo most unlikable when an MP completely reinvented himself as a TV personality who I now enjoy listening to

Agree totally on both points. I abhorred the "dancing on the Grave" stuff when Maggie died, but I was always very happy to be able to maintain that I never did in response to "Well, we voted for her" or, even on one occasion "Well, you voted for her."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I find John Major more and more agreeable as the years go on. Everything he's said of late has been absolutely spot on.
Yes, I'm sure you'll want to go down on your knees and thank him for paving the way for Brighton's current train services.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree totally on both points. I abhorred the "dancing on the Grave" stuff when Maggie died, but I was always very happy to be able to maintain that I never did in response to "Well, we voted for her" or, even on one occasion "Well, you voted for her."

Didn't dance on the grave, but did go outside and dance in the street with my daughter, fulfilling a promise we'd made over twenty years before. And we're both proud of it.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I do like him for that but wouldn't want to sit next to him in our local discussing whether a player was deemed active and so the goal should have been disallowed.

Was my MP for 10 years. Used to see him most saturdays in local shops; always very pleasant and approachable. Goes on my 'nice tory' list with Hague and Major.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
John Major always came across as a thoroughly decent chap. I'd pop next door, watch the cricket with him, and poke fun at him about Edwina when Norma was out of the room.

Gyles Brandreth - of course you'd pop round and help him re-tune his tv. Would I want him as my MP? That's another question, but a "nice" bloke, I don't see how you could dispute it.

Seb Coe. Obviously, i was always a Steve Ovett man myself, but that's just a bit of sporting rivalry. Always seems like a very decent bloke, Seb.

Adam Holloway, my local MP. I would vouch for him every single day, thoroughly nice guy and does EXACTLY what you want from your local MP, speaking up and fighting for local issues, is always accessible and is involved in local events, issues and debates. I have met him a couple of times - even shared a couple of drinks with him one evening - and he really is a very nice guy. If every MP was like him, it would be a much better Parliament.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
And let's be honest, if he lived next door, and was having a bit of an open house, inviting the neighbours round, who wouldn't pop round a spend an hour or 2 with Boris Johnson? I'm genuinely laughing now, just at the thought of it. Yeah, I'd be round like a shot, hoping for a game of "whiff-waff". :lol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would quite happily ask John Major if he was my neighbour if I could borrow his lawnmower until I had got the blade sharpened on mine on the Monday evening on the way back from work on my friends grinding wheel who has recently moved to a lovely bungerlow in High Salvington.. I would not however ask that same faviour of Norman Tebbit for fear of a rebuke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here