Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TB's loan / investment in BHAFC

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
To be honest that is nothing at all, Pickford went for £30m and Boro are spending the best part of £15m on a player. If you want to remain in the PL buying players for £5m wont do it

Basically trying to survive on the cheap. Hopefully that changes before the season starts.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Given the lack of investment in the playing staff, you'd assume it's being well spent on paying him back.

When you say YOU, who do you mean? I certainly don't assume it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
To be honest that is nothing at all, Pickford went for £30m and Boro are spending the best part of £15m on a player. If you want to remain in the PL buying players for £5m wont do it

To be honest, where did I say spending £5m WOULD do it?

We aren't anywhere close to completing our transfer activity yet; I would be absolutely amazed if we didn't spend more than the Ryan fee at least twice between now and September 1st.

I was merely pointing out, to one of our more "excitable" posters, that talk of a lack of investment at this point is a nonsense.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Basically trying to survive on the cheap. Hopefully that changes before the season starts.

And the Renalto Neto deal fell through the other day because of a medical but presumably that doesn't fit in with your agenda?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And the Renalto Neto deal fell through the other day because of a medical but presumably that doesn't fit in with your agenda?

Reported 5.2m the fee. Surely they must have been aware of his injury issues but we're still prepared to take a punt. Wasted time springs to mind.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
To be honest, where did I say spending £5m WOULD do it?

We aren't anywhere close to completing our transfer activity yet; I would be absolutely amazed if we didn't spend more than the Ryan fee at least twice between now and September 1st.

I was merely pointing out, to one of our more "excitable" posters, that talk of a lack of investment at this point is a nonsense.

Well to this point there is a significant lack of investment - I want Brighton to do well and stay up - to achieve that they will need to spend. Along with that Bloom should still have enough to take out a decent amount to repay his loan

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regarding TB's £89m investment in the shares of the holding company - he will never get this back unless he sells.

On top of that he'd lent a further £170m by June 16 and possibly another £30m in the following year. All interest free. If we get into a great financial position, this will be gradually repaid.

The terms with an expiry date mentioned are convertible loan notes in respect of his loans. In reality TB doesn't seek repayment on the due dates, and in the past has converted these into shares meaning the investment is locked into the club.

It will be more tax efficient for TB to take loan repayments rather than dividends.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Personally think it's more likely he'll be spending more rather than getting anything back at this stage, though I guess that depends how is various business interests are doing at the moment.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Personally think it's more likely he'll be spending more rather than getting anything back at this stage, though I guess that depends how is various business interests are doing at the moment.

I would suspect a mix if I am honest - if he does that hope he gets it right for the long term. I am sure he knows what he is doing much more than anyone on here

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was it ever disclosed as to what grants were received towards cost of stadiam

That would definitely be in the accounts, on the online Companies House website for free, by viewing every single years accounts.

I've now found the figure in The Community Stadium Limited accounts, at just £2m.

From memory the clubs that rebuilt stands post Hillsborough did very well from such grants.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Reported 5.2m the fee. Surely they must have been aware of his injury issues but we're still prepared to take a punt. Wasted time springs to mind.

But they didn't 'take a punt'. They called it off. Without giving the player a medical, how would they know about a potential knee problem stemming from an old injury? The selling club and his agent are hardly likely to flag it up! He may still end up with some other team that can afford to take the risk. We just can't afford any duds at all with money so tight, relative to our conpetitors.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I assume neither of you were around in 1979 when we really splashed the cash after promotion and the fallout from doing so in the following years ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I guess a fair bit of premier league incomes this season will be going to pay down the club's debt to Uncle T?

He deserves a good payday, after all he has put in!

You guess incorrectly. He wants the club to become established in the EPL, his financial position is secondary to that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But they didn't 'take a punt'. They called it off. Without giving the player a medical, how would they know about a potential knee problem stemming from an old injury? The selling club and his agent are hardly likely to flag it up! He may still end up with some other team that can afford to take the risk. We just can't afford any duds at all with money so tight, relative to our conpetitors.

Especially after we've given a shiny new contract to sick note Baldock.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Especially after we've given a shiny new contract to sick note Baldock.

I'm sure Baldock's contract is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall budget. With his attributes he's got a real chance of making an impact and, if he does, people would be moaning like hell if he then moved on for a pittance. At worst, we retain a very good Championship striker for another promotion push if we're relegated.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Digressing but linked to that, do you think the club plan to invest heavily in strikers and elsewhere between now and 1st September, to give TB a fighting chance of achieving his aim?

They certainly are aiming to recruit up front but are frustrated by the market. Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all struggling to fill a position up front and they are prepared to pay £40-70 million for the right player. The Albion's ceiling is lower, but remember they were prepared to pay £8m for Pritchard in the Championship a year ago, so I firmly believe the money is there but finalising deals is very complex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here