Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Lawrence

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
IF we signed a top championship striker, one of our forwards would probably go in part ex.
As for the nsmes you mention, all of them are poor man's baldock

Hubris. I like it :rock::lolol::albion2:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In my head I'd thought signing Izzy Brown made this less likely, not more likely :shrug:

I don't think the publicity shots will have any bearing on whether someone stays or goes. It's more related to an honest conversation between the player and the manager about what opportunities there will be and I can't see there being many for Skalak (but of course I could be wrong on this). Likewise with Hemed if we get a goalscoring, pacy number 9.

I cannot see Skalak or Hemed starting anything but a tiny handful of games, yet oddly the Premier League may suit both slightly better. Skalak won't have the pace for it as he didn't even have the pace for the Championship but sitting deeper, forming a "shield" and using his passing and crossing may just work. Hemed's physicality and penalty taking may also work in some games. We have to see it as being competitive in the lowest of the PL's mini leagues. We're not going to do a Leicester.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From what I've seen he's improved massively since then. He destroyed us at Elland road. Looked quality
He had a good game against us in March, but he only scored against us once or twice before in the last 6 years.

Let me guess, he's no better than Obika or Best?

Wood is quality, was a raw but still impressive talent when we had him and he's got better and better. Would be absolutely over the moon if we got him.

I didn't mention Obika or Best. Wood has found a team where he fits in. Prior to that he had a good spell at Millwall for half a season. He hasn't improved that much and only at Championship level.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In my head I'd thought signing Izzy Brown made this less likely, not more likely :shrug:

I cannot see Skalak or Hemed starting anything but a tiny handful of games, yet oddly the Premier League may suit both slightly better. Skalak won't have the pace for it as he didn't even have the pace for the Championship but sitting deeper, forming a "shield" and using his passing and crossing may just work. Hemed's physicality and penalty taking may also work in some games. We have to see it as being competitive in the lowest of the PL's mini leagues. We're not going to do a Leicester.

Agree on most of that, especially Izzy's arrival lessening Tom's likelihood, but if it doesn't happen it'll reduce Skalak's appearances even further. Again, just can't see either Skalak or Hemed getting any more than the occasional appearance. I like them both and for their sakes,if they want to play football, it's best that it's made clear to them.

PS I recommend Silo if you haven't been yet

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I guess this would rule out Haraguchi, Cafu, Simon etc.

Rate him highly, no.9 and CM after this and i'll be feeling a hell of alot more confident.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Oh, I don't know: a marquee signing would show some intent

But show some intent to who? Who do we need to impress?
We seem to enjoy flying under the radar, let everyone write us off, let them come thinking this will be an easy 3 points, some of them will get the 3 points, but they will have to work bloody hard for them, probably harder than they expect to.

I happen to think we got promoted with a very good team from a very strong division that included Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds etc. And guess what..... Nobody gave us a chance, even though we only missed out the season before on goal difference and were the joint top scorers with Champions Burnley.

Well let them all write us off again.... Who cares!

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton

I actually think Hemed may surprise this season and be one of our stars, not really sure why I think this, just a hunch. I certainly would not sell him.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think he's absolute quality and would love to see him here. Championed his signing earlier in the summer.
Like Brown, can play anywhere up front.

So, Naylor's bound to rule it out straight away and crush my dreams.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we don't sign another striker, Hemed will get on the pitch in most of our games. Muzza won't last 90 mins.

Not remotely bothered if Derby outbid us for anyone. Their record of spending vs achievement is horrendous

Think we need competition for Baldock.........Lawrence would be a good solution

Can't see us going for any kind of marquee billy bigbollocks signing. Splashing the cash for the sake of it is just not our style and the club sees no need to 'send a message'. We'll sign players who are under the radar, with potential and most importantly fit the team ethic. This last point is the most difficult to grasp as none of us have the first clue whether the random names being thrown about meet that criterion.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can see us starting a lot of games with one up front...and then three in the middle with one slightly more forward ...then wouldn't players like Brown/Lawrence fit that bill.....leaving Murray/Hemed to fight out that one... if you add'top' striker....cant see that happening

Given CH is defensively minded and will want to make us hard to break down in the PL.
It'll be great to have this type of player leading the line on his own, given that's what makes the PL great, in fast attacking, on the break footy.
Sign him up :thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Given CH is defensively minded and will want to make us hard to break down in the PL.
It'll be great to have this type of player leading the line on his own, given that's what makes the PL great, in fast attacking, on the break footy.
Sign him up :thumbsup:

He's more of a 10 than a striker though isn't he?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
But show some intent to who? Who do we need to impress?
We seem to enjoy flying under the radar, let everyone write us off, let them come thinking this will be an easy 3 points, some of them will get the 3 points, but they will have to work bloody hard for them, probably harder than they expect to.

I happen to think we got promoted with a very good team from a very strong division that included Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds etc. And guess what..... Nobody gave us a chance, even though we only missed out the season before on goal difference and were the joint top scorers with Champions Burnley.

Well let them all write us off again.... Who cares!

POTD.

Well said that man.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If we don't sign another striker, Hemed will get on the pitch in most of our games. Muzza won't last 90 mins.

Not remotely bothered if Derby outbid us for anyone. Their record of spending vs achievement is horrendous

Think we need competition for Baldock.........Lawrence would be a good solution

Can't see us going for any kind of marquee billy bigbollocks signing. Splashing the cash for the sake of it is just not our style and the club sees no need to 'send a message'. We'll sign players who are under the radar, with potential and most importantly fit the team ethic. This last point is the most difficult to grasp as none of us have the first clue whether the random names being thrown about meet that criterion.
Absolutely. In fact, we seem to be trying to send out the message that we have little money to spend which I'm sure is done to prevent selling clubs think we are an easy target to over charge. What does it matter if some pundits think we won't survive at this stage of pre season. I'd prefer to be in that camp, than a Derby where everyone knows they'll pay silly money to get their man....and then they under perform #undertheradar

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Can't see Leicester selling to us until after we've played them,they wouldn't want him to bite them on the arse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He's more of a 10 than a striker though isn't he?

Yes, but I was just thinking laterally, in regards to the Thierry Henry scenario, where he started off as an attacking player.
AW made him play up front, and basically scared the crap out of the opposition with his pace.
I'll go back into my own world in a mo :lolol:

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Just throwing it out there but I'm almost certain that Warren aspinall hinted we had been scouting Lawrence last season when we played Ipswich. He was raving about the guy.....

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here