Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enema advice

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Yup, had a FS myself five years ago. The examination only covers the the bowel as far as the splenic flexure -like a right angle bend in your lower bowel . Hospital will have provided you with the stuff to use. Follow their instructions and you won't have a problem. Probably told you to drink only clear liquids for twelve - twenty four hours before the procedure. After you have used the suppository at the time they say, you'll have a good clear out quite quickly, then another about ten minutes later. After that, I was fine to drive from home to Royal Sussex - about half an hour - without any problems or embarrassing accidents.

The most uncomfortable part of the procedure is that you lie on your left side and they pump you full of air to get a good view. You'll feel the need to fart like never before! Otherwise, it's straightforward.

Good luck.

Yep this exactly , and oh boy didnt it feel good to let rip !

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
For the blood test I was limited to just water, I didn't realise black tea and coffee were options let alone a consomme. I'll have to look up a recipe. The pack I was sent through the post looks more like a diy colonic irrigation kit.
Caffeine in Tea or Coffee can affect blood sugar levels hence the need to fast before certain blood tests. With general anaesthesia, there's the risk of vomiting. With a FS, they are just examining a section of the bowel where problems most normally manifest themselves - if there are any so it just needs to bowel to be clean for a proper examination; also you are not usually sedated for this procedure as it's considered minimally invasive and, at worst, uncomfortable - although see sydney's comments - so you don't have to be quite as strict diet wise ..

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep, it's just a way of clearing the lower bowel and works pdq. Don't worry, it's unlikely that you will be making any mess after an hour and they will have been several thousand arses like your in the past. No shit.
Colonoscopy is a different kettle of fish - the laxative is disgusting and makes me gag, although it works very well! Most interesting feature is that they only sedate you for the procedure, so you can watch the action on a monitor - bit weird seeing up your own arse!
Although I had a bowel resection, they caught the nasty in time and I had it done 15 years ago with no recurrence, other than a couple of small polyps that got removed when I had one of my periodic colonoscopies as part of follow up monitoring.
Whatever the reason, good luck.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Currently lying on the floor as in diagram 5 waiting for it to take effect
20170719_150844.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
How did all go? i'm going next week.
Appreciate any advice.

All went very smoothly. I was concerned i hadn't done the enema preparation correctly because when i evacuated it after 10 minutes it was relatively untainted. When i mentioned this at the hospital they said it was because i had emptied my bowels quite thoroughly before hand. The post procedure report even contained a note that my bowel preparation had been good. It was like getting a certificate for having a clean arse which was nice. The procedure itself wasn't exactly painful but not particularly pleasant and got more uncomfortable the further the sigmoidoscope was inserted and also when it had to manoevre the bends. They went 30cm up but then no further because of my obvious discomfort, though i should stress it was more discomfort rather than pain. Having something shoved 30cm up your backside is never going to be that pleasant an experience unless that's already your bag. Contrary to the advice brochure I didn't strip off and don a robe, i merely eased down my trousers and pants. I even kept my shoes on. They found one small polyp (1mm) which they removed but I didnt feel a thing when they did it, no pain at all. I didn't suffer any flatulence afterwards either which seems to be a common reaction to the air they pump into you to facilitate the procedure. The tests have since been done on the polyp and nothing of any concern was found. So to sum up not a pleasant experience but not painful so nothing to worry about. Watching the endoscope travel up your colon on the screen is quite interesting. I was surprised how pristine and clear it looked up there.
Anyway good luck with your procedure and I hope the information has been useful to ease any concerns.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
All went very smoothly. I was concerned i hadn't done the enema preparation correctly because when i evacuated it after 10 minutes it was relatively untainted. When i mentioned this at the hospital they said it was because i had emptied my bowels quite thoroughly before hand. The post procedure report even contained a note that my bowel preparation had been good. It was like getting a certificate for having a clean arse which was nice. The procedure itself wasn't exactly painful but not particularly pleasant and got more uncomfortable the further the sigmoidoscope was inserted and also when it had to manoevre the bends. They went 30cm up but then no further because of my obvious discomfort, though i should stress it was more discomfort rather than pain. Having something shoved 30cm up your backside is never going to be that pleasant an experience unless that's already your bag. Contrary to the advice brochure I didn't strip off and don a robe, i merely eased down my trousers and pants. I even kept my shoes on. They found one small polyp (1mm) which they removed but I didnt feel a thing when they did it, no pain at all. I didn't suffer any flatulence afterwards either which seems to be a common reaction to the air they pump into you to facilitate the procedure. The tests have since been done on the polyp and nothing of any concern was found. So to sum up not a pleasant experience but not painful so nothing to worry about. Watching the endoscope travel up your colon on the screen is quite interesting. I was surprised how pristine and clear it looked up there.
Anyway good luck with your procedure and I hope the information has been useful to ease any concerns.

I bet your burps smelt like shit though!

On a serious note glad it went well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here