Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will the next Tory leader

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Give it up for adoption. There are many couples that would gladly love and raise the baby.

Oh OK. That's that sorted then, a simple answer to a simple problem. Can't see any issues arising at all there. All sorted.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Give it up for adoption. There are many couples that would gladly love and raise the baby.

If only that were true. There's a shortage of about 10,000 foster parents in the UK currently and every local authority in the country has dozens of children waiting for adoption but not enough adopters to go round. And that's only part of the story, there are many children that social workers are concerned about and would like to take into care but don't have the facilities to do so.

It's fine for you to have your own personal belief that every life is sacred but someone has to raise that child and you can't just glibly bat that question away - it's a very real issue.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If only that were true. There's a shortage of about 10,000 foster parents in the UK currently and every local authority in the country has dozens of children waiting for adoption but not enough adopters to go round. And that's only part of the story, there are many children that social workers are concerned about and would like to take into care but don't have the facilities to do so.

It's fine for you to have your own personal belief that every life is sacred but someone has to raise that child and you can't just glibly bat that question away - it's a very real issue.

So you're telling us that it's not quite such a simple issue after all? Who'd have thought it?

But what about the gays? Could they adopt this baby?

I'm more concerned about the Muslims.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Your views disgust me and your argument is utterly flawed to the point of being total nonsense.

Maybe you should move to middle America where you'll find plenty of backward, uneducated, religious nutjobs who share your vile, antiquated opinions.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

So do you think that the life of a child conceived by rape is worth less than a child conceived in marriage? That's my argument. I'm not the person here suggesting the killing of a child.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Your views disgust me and your argument is utterly flawed to the point of being total nonsense.

Maybe you should move to middle America where you'll find plenty of backward, uneducated, religious nutjobs who share your vile, antiquated opinions.

That's your opinion and I respect that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So do you think that the life of a child conceived by rape is worth less than a child conceived in marriage? That's my argument. I'm not the person here suggesting the killing of a child.

No, I don't believe life starts at conception, and I don't see abortion as killing a child.

And it's avoiding the very valid question of who's going to bring up a child, conceived by rape, that, understandably, the mother may not want to raise.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think this is one of those conversations that is utterly pointless, because nobody is ever going to change anyone else's viewpoint, it's too sensitive a subject. So I'm out.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
No, I don't believe life starts at conception, and I don't see abortion as killing a child.

And it's avoiding the very valid question of who's going to bring up a child, conceived by rape, that, understandably, the mother may not want to raise.

That's fine. I see abortion as killing a child. I think the discussion of whether it's a life or not is considerably more important than who will raise the child.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I think this is one of those conversations that is utterly pointless, because nobody is ever going to change anyone else's viewpoint, it's too sensitive a subject. So I'm out.

I agree it's difficult. It's a simple question though, it's either a life or it isn't.

Oct 25, 2003

there's a shortage of adopters in the UK- so much so that it's becoming a real problem. The issue is particularly prevalent in the south east. This Mogg chap is also against same sex adoption as well I presume? that makes the problem even worse

oh- and going on your values you also have a traumatised mother who not only has been raped but also has to go through the stresses and strains of pregnancy and child birth against her own will

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree it's difficult. It's a simple question though, it's either a life or it isn't.

well it would be a simple question, except start dragging opinions about when life starts into it, usually with less than rational basis.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think Jacob Rees Mogg would be brilliant for Brexit. So quintessentially British, so well spoken, so unflappable, would be so good in these showpiece negotiations soundbites. Bring on the Mogg.

He might have got away with that one until he appeared on GMTV this morning.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
there's a shortage of adopters in the UK- so much so that it's becoming a real problem. The issue is particularly prevalent in the south east. This Mogg chap is also against same sex adoption as well I presume? that makes the problem even worse

oh- and going on your values you also have a traumatised mother who not only has been raped but also has to go through the stresses and strains of pregnancy and child birth against her own will

My experience of trying to adopt is only through friends that have tried. I have a friend that is a partner at a law firm and her husband is a naval officer. A perfect picture of middle class family. When they tried to adopt/foster they were declined as they had no children. Now they have children of there own it would appear that they can adopt easily. They were very frustrated at the time. I don't know what makes them suitable now and they were not before.

The will of the mother I think doesn't matter. As I've said numerous times on here, It's either a life or it isn't, depending on your view point. When does life begin etc? I've no idea.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My experience of trying to adopt is only through friends that have tried. I have a friend that is a partner at a law firm and her husband is a naval officer. A perfect picture of middle class family. When they tried to adopt/foster they were declined as they had no children.

That's not true: not having children would not be a factor in adoption - I know about 20 families who have adopted kids without having children of their own. There's plenty about criteria here

What may be the case is that you will be declined if you're trying to conceive a child (and the fact that your friends do have kids suggests that this may be the case). When you start the adoption process, you have to sign a form saying that you're not trying for children of your own but the fact that you don't have kids, won't count against you.

It's also true that agencies prefer adoptive parents to have some experience of children - but that could be working as a nurse/teacher or baby sitting for family members.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here