Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Some life advice please...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
So I'm a freelance worker

I took a job (advertised as an "opportunity") for three weeks in France. The pay is crap (400 euros for 3 weeks) but it's all meals & accommodation. I'm a technician in the arts. Obviously the pay is well below what I normally charge but I thought it would be a great experience and was billed as "a lot of fun".

The company have been running since 2004 and someone I know worked with them previously and said they had a good time. The operation is run out of a big chateau where a marquee is erected and shows staged.

Now the advice bit. The building me and the other 3 techs are in (an outbuilding separate to the main building) doesn't have hot water currently. They have promised a mechanic tomorrow to fix it. The rooms are shoddy, one pillow, dead insects in wardrobe, huge spider web under bed. But worst of all the room is swelteringly hot, and having the window open for an hour brought little relief, at the cost of numerous insect bites, so now it's closed again.

Bearing in mind that I'm committed to this place for 3 weeks, due to being in the middle of nowhere and an hour drive from the airport, what should I do?!

How do I politely point out that I can't live and work in such conditions?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If it's not going to damage your reputation and future prospects, just be frank but polite and get the hell outta there.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Re-open the windows, ensure you get several insect bits, then sue the company for €1m on the basis that you are now having nightmares which were induced by the insect bits. Offer to settle out of court if they put you up in a 5 star air conditioned hotel for the rest of your time there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
^^^^ tempting, but what's annoying is the immediate cost to me (somehow getting transport to the airport, paying for a flight home)

I'm not concerned about rep damage, I took this very much as a working holiday out of my normal area of the arts

I can't think of a way of raising my concerns in any way which won't be "having a moan" and wonder what good it would do

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Get a proper job ?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
If they do get the hot water running then ask them for a fan for the nights and a dustpan and brush to clean the room. Failing that throw an almighty diva strop and demand your own Winnebago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from the slight discomfort, are you having fun? That is the important bit, if not leave letting them know how unimpressed you are. Preferably in full view of everyone, may as well leave an impression.:smile:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Now the advice bit. The building me and the other 3 techs are in (an outbuilding separate to the main building) doesn't have hot water currently. They have promised a mechanic tomorrow to fix it.

Ask them to send a plumber ( plombier ) to fix the hot water, not someone that is used to fixing a Renault. :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What are conditions in the main building like? As in, have they put tech in a shit hole while the creative team and "talent" are living in luxury? I'd say the director and producers should take one for the team and swap places with you guys. If they're not prepared to do that or get the place fixed up I would insist they arrange and pay for your evacuation.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It sounds like some of these things are fixable with a minor amount of effort on the part of the people running this. If they aren't prepared to do this I would have serious doubts about staying on; the fact that people are creatives doesn't prevent them from treating you with respect.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would have thought 'a big chateau' would have the odd unused room or two kicking about. If you're unhappy with your accommodation, maybe ask them about moving you into the main building?

Having said that, you don't seem to be very much of an intrepid traveller. Life advice? Never go backpacking round Asia.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
get pissed, smash the place up and fight the local workers..
worked for us Brits in Australia......long time ago i might add

If you end up doing 3 months for criminal damage dont blame my advice though

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Buy a fan and sleep with the window open and the fan on max - mossies can't fly in a hurricane!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here