Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HS 2 routes

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just a small request then :)
we always go nickel and dime instead of top dollar then wish we built bigger and wider and it takes us so long to build and the price trebles.
Just little ask.
Also I would like our Northern cousins to start making more and start exporting.
I am feed up with them accusing us of being rich southern *******s

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
we always go nickel and dime instead of top dollar then wish we built bigger and wider and it takes us so long to build and the price trebles.
Just little ask.
Also I would like our Northern cousins to start making more and start exporting.
I am feed up with them accusing us of being rich southern *******s

I may be wrong, but the 'rich southern' element comes into fruition, because of London having such a rich banking base.
There is money in the norf, but investors always fancy the soft southern air for some reason. :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I may be wrong, but the 'rich southern' element comes into fruition, because of London having such a rich banking base.
There is money in the norf, but investors always fancy the soft southern air for some reason. :shrug:

Indeed there is. Most recent HMRC stats show average income by constituency as:

Sheffield Hallam: £26.0k
Brighton Pavillion: £24.5k
Brighton Kemptown: £21.7k
Sheffield Central: £20.9k

Not a huge disparity. But, house prices....... :wozza:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed there is. Most recent HMRC stats show average income by constituency as:

Sheffield Hallam: £26.0k
Brighton Pavillion: £24.5k
Brighton Kemptown: £21.7k
Sheffield Central: £20.9k

Not a huge disparity. But, house prices....... :wozza:
Better house prices more disposable income than Brighton

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Better house prices more disposable income than Brighton
Indeed, but apparently it's grim up North (taken five minutes ago from my home office window).....
392692d44ab6a6a61f35e9dc6ec49d46.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed, but apparently it's grim up North (taken five minutes ago from my home office window).....
392692d44ab6a6a61f35e9dc6ec49d46.jpg

The greenest city in the country is Sheffield, and with the Peak District National Park close by, and the cheaper property prices, a superb place to live in I woud imagine.

A long way from the Amex though. I could make do with Bramall Lane on the odd occasion I suppose.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The greenest city in the country is Sheffield, and with the Peak District National Park close by, and the cheaper property prices, a superb place to live in I woud imagine.

A long way from the Amex though. I could make do with Bramall Lane on the odd occasion I suppose.

Yeah, proximity from the Amex is the one downside. My stepmum lives in Brighton though so we still get down a fair bit. The cost of property down there now astounds me.

That's the Peak District in the background btw and i don't live in a particularly expensive area of the city.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah, proximity from the Amex is the one downside. My stepmum lives in Brighton though so we still get down a fair bit. The cost of property down there now astounds me.

That's the Peak District in the background btw and i don't live in a particularly expensive area of the city.
the down side is you are near Rotherham :nono:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm a massive supporter of public transport, we should be spending way way more on our railways BUT I entirely agree, investment in superfast broadband AND trains that have space for people and arrive largely on time would be much more appropriate.

We've objected quite vociferously round here to HS2 and got nowhere. The quickest train from cov to London takes 57 minutes. HS2 will shave 10 minutes or so off that notwithstanding it won't actually stop at Coventry, so the time will be lost going to Birmingham International to get a train that we will undoubtedly be charged through the nose for the privilege. Meanwhile, the service from Coventry will be reduced giving less options than today.

Ignoring all that I accept HS2 is quicker but it will still be the same shit service from Euston to Victoria at rush hour where investment and time saving is really needed. It's a pointless vanity Project.

The trains are shocking in the SE of England yet that gets ignored. I'd top myself if I used that shit every day.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Lodon to Birmingham is about 120 miles and currently takes around 80 minutes. That's twice as quick as Brighton or Eastbourne (which are rammed during rush hour).
If huge investment is needed it's not hard to see where.

We've objected quite vociferously round here to HS2 and got nowhere. The quickest train from cov to London takes 57 minutes. HS2 will shave 10 minutes or so off that notwithstanding it won't actually stop at Coventry, so the time will be lost going to Birmingham International to get a train that we will undoubtedly be charged through the nose for the privilege. Meanwhile, the service from Coventry will be reduced giving less options than today.

Ignoring all that I accept HS2 is quicker but it will still be the same shit service from Euston to Victoria at rush hour where investment and time saving is really needed. It's a pointless vanity Project.

The trains are shocking in the SE of England yet that gets ignored. I'd top myself if I used that shit every day.

It's mental - There are probably similar stories right round the country like the 'East Midlands Hub' at Toton, handy if you live in Toton, naff all use if you live in Nottingham, Derby or Leicester. The thing is, I don't think most people or businesses really care about 10 or 20 mins here or there, that's a fag break or comfortable visit to the bathroom. It's capacity and reliability that is key.

Regarding trains in SE England, I don't think it's overstating it to say it's having a negative effect on peoples lives - When people are booking hotels in London or driving to Gatwick to change instead of risking the south coast trains, you know there's trouble.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well it's started in my area.

Last week, notice of utility services in the area by Barhale, as part of the preparation for the development of HS2.
Involving some disruption to local roads.
Today another flyer, of ground investigation surveys, involving the drilling of pavement cores.

I cannot wait to emigrate back to Sussex!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well it's started in my area.

Last week, notice of utility services in the area by Barhale, as part of the preparation for the development of HS2.
Involving some disruption to local roads.
Today another flyer, of ground investigation surveys, involving the drilling of pavement cores.

I cannot wait to emigrate back to Sussex!

Get back before Brexit kicks in. I appreciate that Ruislip is in the Demilitarized Zone but you can't be too careful.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Get back before Brexit kicks in. I appreciate that Ruislip is in the Demilitarized Zone but you can't be too careful.

There's one conspiracy theory that the whole of the M25, is just one alien flying saucer, which will take off at any given time, leaving a massive hole that was once London :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here