Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On the one hand we have fans fretting about our slow work in the transfer market and our current inability to secure the players we need to fill the holes we have in our squad.

On the other we have fans who are willing to sell a player who is currently battling for our second winger spot. For four million.

We're not in the championship anymore, 4million isn't a big chunk of change. Certainly it isn't for someone who has a good chance(as things stand) of starting against Man City on opening day. And, if we do fail to sign the players we need to stay up, he's a proven, promotion winning, championship level player. Why the **** would we want to give him away for a pittance?

Exactly. We've got to half expect to get relegated, and if that happens we absolutely need players like Murphy. But that assumes he's not effective in the Prem, which he might yet prove to be.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
KLL and Skalak not a hope of playing. Murphy is OK and could do well. Just needs to mix it up a little and go on outside more to get a cross in. To be honest same could be said of Knockhaert who in last third of season hardly ever beat back on outside.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It all depends on whether we would have replacements lined up.

el punal

I tend to think we shouldn't sell any of our established first team players yet. Okay, looking through slightly rose tinted specs here, we are venturing in to the unknown and it could just be that players like Murphy might actually be better in the Premier League than the Championship. Ever the eternal optimist, me!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we would be down to an injured Knockaert, March, Skalak and KLL for a Premier League season? We shouldn't consider selling anyone until we have replaced them imo.

I like Murphy btw, he can frustrate and thrill in equal measure though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I still think of him as our number 4 winger (yes, I know that's sacrilege to Skalak haters) so it might be logical to let him go if we can get a decent price for him - and more importantly if we've got his (much better) replacement signed and sealed. If £4M is being talked about, could maybe be pushed up to £5 or £6M perhaps. Out of interest, how much was the undisclosed fee we paid for him, anyone know?
Perhaps KLL could be included in the deal, to free up his wages?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My player reckoned most likely to improve to Premier League standard like Peter O'Sullivan did nearly 40 years ago. He might be the best J Murphy!

Needing to win a game I would prefer both Solly March and Lualua off the bench. This could change and one rung of that change was his goal against Dusseldorf. I did not think he played very well in the second half up to then.

He, like others, have at least a year left on his contract to prove himself.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I like Murphy and I think we're still to see his best. Knockaert & March are our 2 best singers but he's a close 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
One thing we do need in the Premiership is pace. Murphy is one of our few attacking options with pace. Unless we can get someone better I would keep him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
4 million, yes please.

I'd bite any club's hand off if they offered £4m for him. A good quality reliable Championship winger, but totally unproven at Premier League level. Now if Fulham are serious about him, l wonder if we can tempt them into a player plus cash deal? Tom Crainey comes to mind. Ryan Fredericks perhaps.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I was holding back in posting on this to see the consensus before posting.

I am obviously bias because he played for Motherwell so slightly blinkered but my observations are this

Sometimes he can flatter to deceive but he is the most 2 footed player in the current squad.

He seems to keep going for the full 90 mins when he stays on the pitch. That can't be said for many of the others

He gets goals occasionally and all he needs to do is score 2 or 3 in the PL and he is going to be worth double that easy. Andros Townsend played 2 good games for Spurs and Yanick Bolasie played 2 good games for Palace on Telly and as soon as people like Danny Murphy or Alan Sheares say they made one good move in a match then newspapers start quoting transfers to here there and everywhere so he is capable of playing 2 great games on Telly.

I watched him tear a couple of Premier Clubs defences to bits in the Sheffield United League Cup run a few years ago, so he does have capabilities when he is on his game.

He is not a superstar Jamie and he is not always consistent but if you think you can go out and get someone who would be in his position in the PL for anything less than £15m or more then I think you are kidding yourselves.

That brings me to the ''Do I think CH would let him go'' - Might get back to you on that one in a few days...........MAYBE !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here