Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd be gutted if we sold him. He is the one I believe will be our surprise package in the prem. Let's face it, we will be a counter attack team for much of this season. There's no shame in that.

Murphy is SO direct when he has the ball. I think it was Reading at home where the goals came from Murphy travelling with the ball and running at the defence.

He also has a real ability to cut in look dangerous.

I was at Wolves and that game was crying out for an outlet for the counter. He came on and was the out ball which led to out second.

In such a well organised team as ours you need that occasional player who can be direct and cause havoc. Sure, it's not always going to be successful but you need that mixture

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I agree he can go past players but problem is he then fails to deliver a telling pass or cross! Like I said earlier, he's got skill but doesn't know how to use it. By the way, I have an excellent view in the Upper West.
So you'll be able to appreciate his contribution then. Your right in as much as he doesn't go to the line and stand up crosses for a the strikers but when he dribbles into the penalty area his low passes into the six yard box always seem to panic opposition defenders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd be gutted if we sold him. He is the one I believe will be our surprise package in the prem. Let's face it, we will be a counter attack team for much of this season. There's no shame in that.

Murphy is SO direct when he has the ball. I think it was Reading at home where the goals came from Murphy travelling with the ball and running at the defence.

I was at Wolves and that game was crying out for an outlet for the counter. He came on and was the out ball which led to out second.

In such a well organised team as ours you need that occasional player who can be direct and cause havoc. Sure, it's not always going to be successful but you need that mixture

This. Baldock has that too, when he's not out injured.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you'll be able to appreciate his contribution then. Your right in as much as he doesn't go to the line and stand up crosses for a the strikers but when he dribbles into the penalty area his low passes into the six yard box always seem to panic opposition defenders.

You see a different attacking player to the one I watch!!! If I was a defender I would fear March far more than Murphy. He played almost twice as long as March did last year and managed one more assist and one less goal! Murphy has talent but is clueless about using it or, probably more appropriately, dithers when it comes to decision making. His goal against Norwich was the only highlight. I think if he had the right mental application he could be a really good player but he hasn't. I'd rather see us get another £4m into the budget to help secure a better player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

And wins us a penalty for Murray to slot away.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It was Reading. Can't find the highlights but believe for one goal he carried the ball about 30/35 yards unchallenged before laying it off and for another was set up with a one on one with the keeper which he did take well. Please tell me there is more than this one game? Give me a ball and I could run 30/35 yards provided I was unchallenged!!! Not sure I could now finish the other one although I did similar about 33 years ago in a cup game at Horsham.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good team player does the simple things not flashy works hard supports the defence I value his contribution to the team and like some others feel he has a part to play this season and will surprise a few

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Personally I think both Skalak and KLL have the potential to do something worthy in the premier league, but I don't see it with Murphy, perfectly decent player with a good all round game but nothing overly special in any one area. In the premier league I think you need to have something 'extra' whether its Skalak's dead-ball delivery or KLL's ability to beat someone.

I'm not surprised Murphy is more popular than either of those, though, and he's a decent squad player

Great post.

I view Skalak as a left or right midfielder, not an out and out winger. He has neither the guile or pace but he can bend it like Beckham. I think he'll have a part to play.

Kaz would still be a great sub when the boss wants to gamble or change things a bit. He can score great goals and might well surprise a few defenders. CH will be challenged a lot more this season with the Albion likely to be losing far more often.

Murph is too similar to Knocky & March but not quite as good. I'm not sure there is a place for him in the squad if we were to sign a 'Cafu'.

Next season, I can see CH balancing the flanks by having a more defensive midfield that includes a winger and a deeper 'flank' midfielder on the other side who encourages the likes of Rosenior or Suttner to scamper past him. We're going to be playing an awful lot more football in our own half so defensive skills are key.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Great post.

I view Skalak as a left or right midfielder, not an out and out winger. He has neither the guile or pace but he can bend it like Beckham. I think he'll have a part to play.

Kaz would still be a great sub when the boss wants to gamble or change things a bit. He can score great goals and might well surprise a few defenders. CH will be challenged a lot more this season with the Albion likely to be losing far more often.

Murph is too similar to Knocky & March but not quite as good. I'm not sure there is a place for him in the squad if we were to sign a 'Cafu'.

Next season, I can see CH balancing the flanks by having a more defensive midfield that includes a winger and a deeper 'flank' midfielder on the other side who encourages the likes of Rosenior or Suttner to scamper past him. We're going to be playing an awful lot more football in our own half so defensive skills are key.

I think a lot might be surprised how attack minded he will be - Especially in the home matches. Probably not against your Man Citys or Chelseas or Liverpools but against some of the others at home he will have a go at them.

The away games will be dour affairs I fear.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think a lot might be surprised how attack minded he will be - Especially in the home matches. Probably not against your Man Citys or Chelseas or Liverpools but against some of the others at home he will have a go at them.

The away games will be dour affairs I fear.

Hope that you are correct and he gives a few copies of his goal on Friday which was very well taken and very well executed from nothing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hope that you are correct and he gives a few copies of his goal on Friday which was very well taken and very well executed from nothing.

I was on about Chris being attack minded in the home matches.

I haven't seen Jamie's goal on Friday. Anyone able to post it ?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Why sell him - especially for £4m - decent player and not like we need money at present, we haven't exactly broken the bank yet with the funds from the Premier league

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't deny I think he has the ability but do doubt his capability to turn that into goals. When he runs direct at players he is good but his finishing is not very good e.g. Brentford away. personally I would think £4 million is a good price if we could get it BUT i think it would need to only happen if the club has a replacement lined up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here