Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WARNING. Watch Out For...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you have the council to thank. In their infinite wisdom, as has been pointed out, it's all gravel and therefore unsuitable for anything but mountain bikes. If it were tarmaced then you'd be right, but no cyclist in their right mind is going to risk an almost certain puncture.

Therein lies the rub with cycle paths, the vast majority are unsuitable for normal use.

Oddly enough, it was the South Down National Park Authority - based in Midhurst - for it is they who were the planning authority, and paid for its construction.

One question I would ask cyclists (or anyone else) - if the Woodingdean to Falmer cycle path was made of tarmac, would it be dangerous in wet weather, given the steepness of the incline?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Why else would they do it? You have to be a wanker of the very highest to hold up loads of cars when there is a perfectly usable path alongside the road. Got to be far safer as well. I know which I would pick if I was on a bike.

You also have a very valid point, just not putting it across very eloquently.

Highway code Rule 169:“Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle.“Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.” Applies to bikes, horse, moped, tractors, smart cars etc

I'm a cyclist, I love my Lycra, just one of my bikes is worth more than the typical car driven by the type of person who shouts abuse at me when I'm out cycling. I like the 'pay some road tax' argument most, especially as 2 of my cars are VED free :tosser: The other is a high performance/polluting over £40k car so I'm on the top rate for that.

Share the road, be safe and courteous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least acknowledge that this group although choosing, as is their right, to use the road were just a little guilty of having a I'm alright Jack attitude, instead of making all kind of excuses why it is not their fault in their making all the motorist journeys just a little bit more unnecessary slower.
So they are doing what they are allowed to do.
I have no idea of their attitude, I wasn't with them.

I'm not making all kinds of excuses I'm just reiterating what others have said, 'the path isn't fit for purpose'.

Just out of interest how much time did this 'I'm alright Jack attitude' cost you?

Imagine how horrific it would have been if they were riding 2 abreast.

bike-pass.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn't you once post a succinct summary of every possible argument on a cycling thread, thus negating the need for anyone to ever have this binfest again?
Succinct?

Probably someone else. :lol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't you once post a succinct summary of every possible argument on a cycling thread, thus negating the need for anyone to ever have this binfest again?

The home of the binfest recognises no rational/reasonable post on any topic and no thread is ever closed too soon (unless it mentions smelly black people). You should know that by now.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd politely suggest that you haven't actually read any of the above responses. If a cycle lane was truly fit for purpose, you'd be a bloody fool not to use it. Lewes Road is the only decent example of one I can think of and there was a hell of a ruckus when that was built.

I appreciate the politeness and take the point. But it was constructed for that very purpose even if the construction was the usual penny pinching. I hate the cycle lane on Lewes Rd which I think is dangerous at both Coldean Lane and various other points but I do accept that the construction and use of it is much better.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You obviously know nothing about bikes. The path there is fine if you're on a bike with off-road tyres but if you're on a road bike with thin wheels and tyres your only option is the road. Unfortunately there are too many motorists out there who are ignorant of these things and think cyclists are not entitled to be on the road because 'they don't pay road tax'

And most of my time I drive country roads between Worthing and Guildford where you get held up by cyclists far more than the Falmer-Woodingdean stretch. The trick is to sit back, relax until you get space to pass properly and then you'll easily catch up to the back of the next queue of traffic, you'll just be queuing for a few seconds less.

Up until a couple of months back I was using the cycle path from Worthing to Shoreham about twice a week. Perfectly good tarmac from start to finish. So why on other days were the Lycra clad waxxers steaming through slow/stationary traffic and giving occasional abuse to car drivers? Because there is a certain percentage of these twats who want confrontation, until it is a bumper that fronts them up!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Up until a couple of months back I was using the cycle path from Worthing to Shoreham about twice a week. Perfectly good tarmac from start to finish. So why on other days were the Lycra clad waxxers steaming through slow/stationary traffic and giving occasional abuse to car drivers? Because there is a certain percentage of these twats who want confrontation, until it is a bumper that fronts them up!

After bad weather, that path is unrideable due to all the pebbles that get strewn all over it.

There are a percentage of human beings that are twats. So it stands to reason some of them ride bicycles.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
One question I would ask cyclists (or anyone else) - if the Woodingdean to Falmer cycle path was made of tarmac, would it be dangerous in wet weather, given the steepness of the incline?

Pretty safe I think. Obviously you wouldn't want to be going 40mph, but it's fairly straight, so not a lot of chance of skidding. It would certainly be preferable to being on the road but as with driving, you have to ride to the conditions.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Bloody cyclists, I got stuck behind this lot for 2 sodding hours yesterday

IMG_0027.JPG

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What about fast cyclists? They should not be on the cycle lane where slow riders and old/young people ride, it would be dangerous for all of them.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This thread hasn't taken the route I'd planned. It was supposed to be about "Plain-clothed Cyclists". Perhaps cyclists not dressed in lycra, but casually pedalling along wearing a force beard, looking where they are going through a hole in a newspaper? Instead, it's turned into a cyclist v car thread!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This thread hasn't taken the route I'd planned. It was supposed to be about "Plain-clothed Cyclists". Perhaps cyclists not dressed in lycra, but casually pedalling along wearing a force beard, looking where they are going through a hole in a newspaper? Instead, it's turned into a cyclist v car thread!
Pretty much every thread that mentions cyclists does.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling & Walking Commissioner for Brighton, hahaha can you imagine how much of an impossible job that would be.

[tweet]890870018031931392[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here