Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most intimidating away day

droogie

Aug 29, 2015
maybe reading got a mention, as a young Brighton mob were chased from ground to station after a league cup game in 74. Pompey was a nightmare for Albion fans in 72 and 76. surprised no-one mentioned the real incident at Spurs in November 77,when the tube got attacked afterwards at Finsbury park. very nasty

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Millwall (Playoff 2nd leg), Everton Away 1979, Pompey 1972 & 76 Boxing day, Millwall 1976 got mugged with my Dad!!, Mansfield FAC 1980ish, bloody young kids in our end bloody pests!!, Spurs 1977 in the away end, quite lively.

droogie

Aug 29, 2015
Rarely mentioned , but prior to the special trains , Albion would take a coach or two to many northern grounds. Preston and Rotherham mid seventies were hairy. bury, being one of few where lads turned up. this was the norm before proper segregation. look at old first division games at United or Liverpool when big teams visited few visible away fans.

maybe reading got a mention, as a young Brighton mob were chased from ground to station after a league cup game in 74. Pompey was a nightmare for Albion fans in 72 and 76. surprised no-one mentioned the real incident at Spurs in November 77,when the tube got attacked afterwards at Finsbury park. very nasty

Was that the incident when spurs wanted a certain RB handed over:whistle:

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Feels weird reading these posts as my experiences of these matches was obviously a very long time ago.

In 1985, (and as a naive 14/15 year old attempting to impress others), claiming I was going to Millwall appeared to be a creditable way to get recognition.

With John Fashanu smashing defenders around like skittles, missiles launched into away fans and Millwall deliberately goading police into terracing so they could attack them. The gravity of the situation (and winning 1-0, goal by Micky Ferguson) didn't help.
Millwall had George Graham as manager and were unbeaten in 16 odd months at the den I believe.

The play off final, (which I agreed to attend against my better judgement) was equally menacing within the ground, but the home fans were positioned further away if I remember correctly, and possibly I have forgotten any unpleasantries on the way back. Although I do recall Mike Small being 'very fired up' and playing superbly on the evening.

Never again though!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember the Reading one. After the game both mobs squared off (BHA 30+, Reading 150+) and for a few seconds no one moved until a Reading girl came over and lumped one of our lads and knocked him to the ground and then the fun run started back to the station with ambushes enroute with stones and bottles, and the Reading still kept coming.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Whatever the modern cliché is now, ie tinpot. it was a long run
I agree it was definitely a long run back to the station.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Was the Izmir game the one where an England supporter from Brighton lost the sight in one eye, from a sharpened object thrown by a Turk?
Yes, that was the game. The night before the violence was worse, at the U21 game. Horrific 48 hours in all. I went with a mate from Germany (palace supporter). After the U21 game some England fans were offered a ride back to town in a police wagon. We decided to take our chances. We saw the wagon overturned on the road on the way back to the hotel. That night we were pulled from our beds by the police because the locals told them we all had knives! On the day of the big game we arranged to get to the stadium and head up to the top floor of a hotel that was next door. Most of the England fans were there. All was fine until a nutcase of a Leeds fan, strangely called David Batty, decided to unfurl his St Georges flag from the balcony about an hour before kick off. Cue mayhem.. Inside the ground we had to cover our heads with flags to protect against the stuff being thrown over the police lines at us. I got hit in the back by a sink tap unit! The police were part of the aggression which was why most of us decided the only way to get some protection was to move as a group towards the police. It was tense for a while and a stand off ensued but then they started getting hit by objects so finally did something about it. Of course the only pictures in the paper were of the England fans moving towards the police. One other incident happened. We were in a bar outside the England hotel after the U21 game and a large mob of Turks came along the street led by a huge fat guy. They stopped in front of the bar and he pulled out a pistol from his belt. We all took cover and someone in our group realized we had been joined by the lead reporter of the Sunday People. His paper had previously (at other games) paid England fans to do stupid things, like break windows. On this occasion he promised to write the truth about what happened. In the paper that Sunday was a small column about the incident mentioned, amongst a whole load of stories about violent England fans. Vile man.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Coming back from wrexham at the start of one season. That was fairly uneventful although they had just finished painting the spectator bars and we all got red paint on our clothes! It was when we pulled into Birmingham on the train and wolves fans pelted us with bricks from the bridge and smashed all the windows! The other hairy one was Preston away when the local hardcore lay in wait upstairs on the away courtesy buses to take us back to the station so any Brighton fan that left a few minutes early to avoid the trouble, walked straight into it! My mate got a right pasting

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here