Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most intimidating away day

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Millwall think it was 2009, we did them 1-0. A lot of pushing and shoving at the station, not nice

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
West Ham November late seventies ???
They were hanging guy fawkes guys off of lamp posts with Albion scarves :moo:
I parked my Mk 2 Ford Cortina - black - jacked up suspension several miles from the ground.
Never seen so many black fellas in my life trying to do me and three mates harm :moo:

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Another vote for Millwall play off game. My boss was a Millwall fan and was there. He said the fires were to distract the Police so they could get at us. I asked what he would have done if he found me. It wasn't pleasant! Someone mentioned Ayrsome Park. Think it was same season we went up there and our witty retort to the obligatory "you only score with your boyfriend" was "you only score with your children". This was right after the Cleveland child abuse scandal. Atmosphere got very bad very quick unsurprisingly! They threatened to abandon game because of racial abuse to Mike Small as well. Was there with my girlfriend (now wife) who didn't understand why I didn't want her to talk on way back to car, they were hunting us down!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
CROWD WAS 11'600ish difficult to assess away support,recall some home fans watching from outside the ground,did you travel on our coach?

No. We drove that day. It wasn't far to be fair.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Someone mentioned Ayrsome Park ..... They threatened to abandon game because of racial abuse to Mike Small as well.

I remember the game. Loads of racist abuse from home section, but the police had cameras trained on us. We found a copper at half-time and said WTF (we weren't the only ones). The copper (a sergeant, I think) was all "it's only banter" ... then a few minutes later, there are PA announcements about it, the police cameras are turned on the Boro sections, and the abuse of Small was the lead story in the North East regional paper (The Sunday Sun, I think it was called back then) the next day. Now that was a turnaround.

(My vote though is for Millwall away in the playoffs)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Definitely the Millwall playoff game, that was intense.

Second worst for me was when I went to White Hart Lane to support Wrexham in an FA Cup game in 1979. Cracking game, 3-3 draw, but those Spurs fans were desperate to get at us. For some reason we were put the other side of the fence from their firm.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being an 'older' fan brought up on the Seagull Special train, modern fans have no idea what the hooligan days of the 70's were really like.
For me Cardiff and the return to the train alone with no police to be seen.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Being an 'older' fan brought up on the Seagull Special train, modern fans have no idea what the hooligan days of the 70's were really like.
For me Cardiff and the return to the train alone with no police to be seen.

Yes special old rolling stock for football fans, much of it heavily vandalised

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember the game. Loads of racist abuse from home section, but the police had cameras trained on us. We found a copper at half-time and said WTF (we weren't the only ones). The copper (a sergeant, I think) was all "it's only banter" ... then a few minutes later, there are PA announcements about it, the police cameras are turned on the Boro sections, and the abuse of Small was the lead story in the North East regional paper (The Sunday Sun, I think it was called back then) the next day. Now that was a turnaround.

(My vote though is for Millwall away in the playoffs)

"Only banter". The police in Greater Yorkshire haven't half been shite over the years over various issues!

Separately, in the Football Factories documentaries, South Yorkshire Police got mentioned by various hooligan groups as the most violent they encountered back in the day.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Again, this, although we got the direct train home. New Cross was no fun, trust me.

The whole week was edgy. Millwall had the East at the Goldstone but there were a load of them in the North. Every time we scored at home we invaded the pitch & they kicked off and we scored four times.

We assumed everyone would turn up away but no one did. When they set fire to their programmes in their own end I was properly petrified. It was only 5 years after Bradford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the police wading in and arresting a couple of the Millwall fans, then the rest of the Millwall contingent just turned and chased the police off and kicking them, they ended up getting some of their police helmets and throwing them on the roof and setting fire to them, it was at that point I thought hhhmm we might struggle to get out of this unscratched.

The next game at the Old Den..... Beeney ran Millwall la la laa! :lol:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Definitely the Millwall playoff game, that was intense.

Second worst for me was when I went to White Hart Lane to support Wrexham in an FA Cup game in 1979. Cracking game, 3-3 draw, but those Spurs fans were desperate to get at us. For some reason we were put the other side of the fence from their firm.

Must be something about WHL. I went to an evening cup game with a Swindon fan, must have been 1979/80 ish. Felt like no segregation in the away end, just constant trouble. It's also the only ground I've been punched in.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Millwall in the play-off semi final.when they set the terrace alright, Stoke away when they sing Deliah and Leeds when they sing thier old song. I don't like any of these clubs but do admire the passion of the singing from Stoke and Leeds fans.we really need to sing out loud Sussex by the Sea next year. It will definitely intimidate teams.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Millwall play offs gets another vote. That atmosphere was incredible, Micky small got so much racial abuse, you can hear it on the tv. The fires on the terrace and at one point behind their goal after the match they all ran from one end of the stand to the other as I think a gate had been opened but they didn't get on. We had a good 1500 fans there. Kept behind for ages and the train journey home was really quiet, very strange.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Millwall play offs gets another vote. That atmosphere was incredible, Micky small got so much racial abuse, you can hear it on the tv. The fires on the terrace and at one point behind their goal after the match they all ran from one end of the stand to the other as I think a gate had been opened but they didn't get on. We had a good 1500 fans there. Kept behind for ages and the train journey home was really quiet, very strange.

Yes, it was very kind of the police to keep us in until all the Millwall fans had left to find somewhere between the ground and station where they could attack us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here