Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Grand Prix

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Most people with any sort of background within racing think he is a dick as a person.

It might not be his fault as he was heavily back from McLaren as a kid, but he has still turned out to be a dick.
Classic example the way he patronised Bottas after the race.

Do they know him, as a person? Jesus Mouldy, most of us here think you are a dick because you owe our kids shirts, but we aren't still going on about it :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really need to learn to just not say anything, as it'll never be received as intended and can't be arsed to defend my opinions so shouldn't make them in the first place. :) I've always been a fan of the sport more than a specific driver or team. Going to races and seeing fans of different teams and drivers is ace. It just winds me up when people are so anti-Alonso, anti-Rosberg, anti-Vettel when they happen to be battling Lewis but if they're not suddenly Alonso/Vettel (even I don't like Rosberg) funny, talented good blokes. Anyway, the more I type, the more I get invested in this thread, so I'll bow out now as bound to get a load of criticism for feeling differently about the sport than others.

It wasn't about "the sport." It was the intense personal hatred towards someone you've probably never met. Crikey, if that's how you feel about a sportsman and stranger, how do you feel about adversaries in real life or terrorists, just for example?

It wouldn't come as a surprise if it turned out Schumacher, Vettel, Prost and Rosberg hadn't been particularly pleasant people, on and off the track. They might even have lived as tax exiles. The vitriol towards Hamilton seemed over the top.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I support Lewis and hope he wins the title but I do find the rose tinted specs of so many of his fans incredibly annoying. I see both sides of it though, see those on my twitter timeline saying how dare people cheer a blown tyre as it's so dangerous etc which in this case is OTT and misguided but then on the other hand you get the Lewis fan boys going on about how dreadfully dangerous Vettel was giving him a nudge in Baku was. It's all bollocks and puts me right off the sport and internet comment on it. There's a tiny bit of me looking forward to post Lewis F1 where hopefully those watching it can just enjoy the sport rather than this crazed fandom bollocks.

Was it different in the Mansell and Damon Hill days? Post Lewis without the bollox from British fans will mean we only have tailenders like Palmer to cheer...British fans will always get behind a British winner and take exception to his Johnny Foreigner rival, it was always thus.

Last edited:

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
If he could meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same then he'd be a lot more popular than he is. But the sulky teenager routine he goes into when anything goes awry does him no favours at all.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If he could meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same then he'd be a lot more popular than he is. But the sulky teenager routine he goes into when anything goes awry does him no favours at all.

You have a point, but he seldom blames anyone but himself if he has performed badly.

Even with mechanical problems he tends to keep tight lipped about blame.

The drivers make me laugh though, sunglasses on after a bad race or qualifying, sunglasses off and smiles after a good one. They all seem to do it.

D

Deleted member 2719

You have a point, but he seldom blames anyone but himself if he has performed badly.

Even with mechanical problems he tends to keep tight lipped about blame.

The drivers make me laugh though, sunglasses on after a bad race or qualifying, sunglasses off and smiles after a good one. They all seem to do it.

Icy have you been watching the same Lewis Hamilton as me.

Hamilton and tight lipped just seems impossible.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...edes-could-cut-him-loose-Toto-Wolff-teammates

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It wasn't about "the sport." It was the intense personal hatred towards someone you've probably never met. Crikey, if that's how you feel about a sportsman and stranger, how do you feel about adversaries in real life or terrorists, just for example?

It wouldn't come as a surprise if it turned out Schumacher, Vettel, Prost and Rosberg hadn't been particularly pleasant people, on and off the track. They might even have lived as tax exiles. The vitriol towards Hamilton seemed over the top.

I'm so confused. I don't hate anyone.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Icy have you been watching the same Lewis Hamilton as me.

Hamilton and tight lipped just seems impossible.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...edes-could-cut-him-loose-Toto-Wolff-teammates

That's because I was talking about when he is racing. I never said he didn't consider himself the number one driver and I accept he always tries to out psyche his team mate. It what most winners do though isn't it. That article has nothing to do with the actual racing, except for a couple of on track incidents.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I rate Hamilton the driver and the person. He's immensely talented, a winner and I'm proud that he's British.

Brits hating him - it's the age old green eyed monster, wishing ill of the successful and confident.

I've worked with (a minority of) English people who made no bones about HATING at their pomp: Mansell, Gascoigne, Cavendish, Martin Johnson, Andy Murray, Radcliffe. Revelling in their failure.

The UK's a funny old country.

Absolutely agree with this.

How many of the people that profess to hate him actually know him other than from listening to the odd press conference and interviews at races?!

Can't say I would be arrogant enough to judge someone's character based solely on that.........

People are far too keen to buy into a celebrity culture where they feel they have to actually love or hate someone with a high profile.

Just admire his undoubted talent and shove your prejudices to one side! Unless you know him personally that's all they can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Great race by a fantastic driver, hears to hoping that Silverstone is here for many years to come!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here