Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Butterfly Count.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Took this photo at the beginning of June. A Peacock? Looks a bit like something had had a nibble at it.

18839212_10155116020606638_93248297951467408_n.jpg

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
There are plenty of really good places, especially in Sussex and Brighton has its hot-spots. In just a short while this afternoon at the Roedean Butterfly Bank, in the field immediately to the west of Roedean School, I reported 8 species of butterfly, and loads of Six-spot Burnet moths. A total of 82 in not much more than 15 minutes. This site is really worth a visit, and you can park virtually on it, for free.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. I'm completely and utterly captivated by these beautiful creatures.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for that. I'll check it out. I'm completely and utterly captivated by these beautiful creatures.
If you're driving and parking in the car park there, you've only got a 2.2 meter gap to drive through, so be careful or leave your vehicle just outside.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I haven't seen a single Peacock this this, despite the abundance of buddleia. This worries me.

I did see a Red Admiral and a Large Tortoiseshell though yesterday.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I haven't seen a single Peacock this this, despite the abundance of buddleia. This worries me.

I did see a Red Admiral and a Large Tortoiseshell though yesterday.

The tatty Peacocks around at the moment would have come out of hibernation around May, done the deed and their offspring should be out in good numbers at the end of this month, so keep an eye out for some nice fresh ones soon.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
IMG_3619.JPG

Taken in Herefordshire this morning - Comma, ther were lots of Red Admirals, Commas and a few Gatekeepers.
This afternoon I added Meadow Brown and another one yet to be Id'd

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Saltdean Oval behind the Lido today. 69 sightings of 6 species in an hour strolling through the meadow-managed west-facing bank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here