Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maenpaa

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
That's all a little confusing.

Proper pro - I guess so judging by the contract extension.
Fight for his place - His place is bench and cups.
Ready to step in - That's his job.
Ryan doesn't cut it - Then the club will have to suck it up and buy another £5m goalie.
Glad that he is sticking around - It seems everybody is happy.

I don't understand the fascination, on this thread, to try and create something that isn't there.
The fella had a good game, great, but if he was anything other than a bench warmer, he'd either be first choice, or playing elsewhere.

He's happy, the clubs happy, we should be happy and yet let's start undermining Ryan and question whether the perennial benchwarmer should be first choice.

I see your points. My post wasn't meant to undermine Ryan, more to make the point that it's a good thing that he will have some proper competition for his shirt. Maenpaa is a fully-fledged international as well with bags of experience, surely he will be thinking that the chance may arise where he can stake a claim for the starting berth?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see your points. My post wasn't meant to undermine Ryan, more to make the point that it's a good thing that he will have some proper competition for his shirt. Maenpaa is a fully-fledged international as well with bags of experience, surely he will be thinking that the chance may arise where he can stake a claim for the starting berth?
No.

I wasn't being specific to you beyond those points, it's this thread in general.

Half the posters on it are loosing their shite about the clubs back up championship goalie having a decent pre season friendly against a bunch of Austrian no marks.
Chances are had Maenpaa 'done a Stockdale' many of those posters will be questioning the resign.

He can't stake a claim for the starting berth, all he can stake a claim to is making sure he's available if he's needed.

That's his job, nothing more nothing less.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Weren't Leeds in for him in which case that would have been the obvious move

Leeds hadn't got a manager when he moved. They already had Rob Green as their number one. All this talk of Leeds came about because Stockdale is a Leeds fan. He's never played for them.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
No.

I wasn't being specific to you beyond those points, it's this thread in general.

Half the posters on it are loosing their shite about the clubs back up championship goalie having a decent pre season friendly against a bunch of Austrian no marks.
Chances are had Maenpaa 'done a Stockdale' many of those posters will be questioning the resign.

He can't stake a claim for the starting berth, all he can stake a claim to is making sure he's available if he's needed.

That's his job, nothing more nothing less.

Bundesliga 2 - Fortuna Dusseldorf. (German)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Maenpaa and Ryan were competing for the bench and we were yet to sign our No.1.
I like them both but I'm sure the club aren't naive enough to consider either the much needed upgrade on Stockdale for the season ahead. We must have three competent keepers, the sooner we sign our No.1 the better.

We did not spend 5-6M or whatever it was, on a GK to sit on the bench. Ryan was brought in as our first choice with Maenpaa as competition.

Our third keeper will likely be a loan, a journeyman close to retirement or our very own youth option, Sanchez. We are also able to recall Walton should we require.

el punal

Not about cash. He is getting less at Blues than he was offered with us.
He was promised "first choice" (as distinct from guaranteed start) by Blues where I gather we were honest and told him we were seeking to bring in a new starting keeper.

Well that seems fair enough. I am somewhat surprised at the club's stance if what you say is the reason for his departure. I honestly thought Stockdale would have been nailed on choice as the first keeper. Still, what do I know.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Did wonder about the emergency recall clause in Walton's loan. Does it mean we will go with just 2 main keepers and save splashing some cash on a third?
Would give Maenpaa a better chance of featuring.

Unlikely seeing as due to Walton's age and the fact he's "home grown" won't be part of the 25 means we still need another keeper in that initial squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here