Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downview Pub in Worthing to close on Sunday.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Much as it might be sad to see a local business close down, the Downview has always been a poor quality pub across the board (in the time I've known it since the mid-90's anyway). Was more saddened to see The Wheatsheaf is all boarded up now.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Much as it might be sad to see a local business close down, the Downview has always been a poor quality pub across the board (in the time I've known it since the mid-90's anyway). Was more saddened to see The Wheatsheaf is all boarded up now.
I oftern drive past the Royal Oak all boarded up what a shame I can remember when it was a busy pub.north of Ditchling common.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the Royal Oak suffered as it had to be a destination pub with good food that people went to specifically to eat but had very little parking, only on the opposite side of a busy road. I think that perhaps they should have explored a way of losing some of the massive garden to make car parking. Again entering and leaving may have been a problem.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Always a rather melancholy feeling watching a big old boozer like this one close down as a little part of the town's history dies with it. Having said that it was bit of a dive (since at least the early 70s) and the not only is there the Green Man (a great pint) a few yards the other side of the railway line but there's also another similar place opening up within spitting distance. However West Worthing is exceptionally grim these days.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm struggling to think of any genuinely decent neighbourhood pubs in Worthing.

I was in the John Selden recently with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

Are there any others?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It's been dead in there for ages, Mrs V and I stopped off there for a drink on New Years Eve and at 9,30 in the evening on what should be the busiest night if the year there were about 8 people drinking. Sad, but times change. The Green Man just over the crossing is usually rammed despite its poor decor.
Could it be that if you sell crap beer you get no punters?

The big brewers need to dump their boring mass marketed piss and allow them to buy and sell decent beer or more will go. Trouble is, the owners would rather flog them off for flats.

was recently back in worthing and must admit was served up some pretty poor beverages.......the worst culprit was the old george at goring....now a carvery.....terrible beer , the new micro pub just along the strand was rammed...... spent a lot of time in the Downview , always ended up there after sterns , got away with murder in there....:lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I was in the John Selden recently with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

Are there any others?

The Lamb, Durrington used to be a decent local pub, with a 'lively' but good clientele but it's pretty shabby nowadays, despite many attempts to revive it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Lamb, Durrington used to be a decent local pub, with a 'lively' but good clientele but it's pretty shabby nowadays, despite many attempts to revive it.

For me a decent pub either has to have good beer or good food, but ideally both.

As best I can recall, The Lamb had neither, although I fully concede it served a purpose!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the problem is peoples expectations of pubs has changed, had a quick look online and the Downview looks very dated

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For me a decent pub either has to have good beer or good food, but ideally both.

As best I can recall, The Lamb had neither, although I fully concede it served a purpose!

I can't recall exactly which drinks it served back in the day, but I'm pretty sure it was Foster / Strongbow as their main lager / cider.

The Selden used to sell Stowford Press as the cider on draught, but it was some abomination (Carling Cider I think) when we popped in. The landlord did say they were changing to Thatchers soon though, which although overly sweet is better.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Are there any others?

George and Dragon in Tarring. Round the corner from me, and the ciders in there are fantastic

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
On the subject of the Downview, I was a holding manager in the place 9 years ago, when Maggie broke her foot. Awful place, with an awful landlady, only positive to being there was that I ended up settling in the town after the hold. Two months I spent there, and I think I've set foot in the place once since. It's a bloody hole.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Of course, yes. I like the G&D a lot.

The Vine always feels like it should be good but disappoints.

Absolutely. The Vine is a colossal disappointment. It SHOULD be a great pub, but whoever has had it over the past few years have really messed it up. Another favourite of mine is the Brookstead Alehouse, ok it's a micropub, but good god, the beer and cider is fantastic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there anybody on here who is old enough to remember when it was one of Worthings best and busiest pubs, probably mid to late 60s and very early 70s. Sad to see such pubs be left to go downhill and then closed and become offices or flats.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Are there any others?
I don't know what you mean precisely by neighbourhood pubs but The George & Dragon and The Vines are nice imo.

edit: others got there first. To be fair I don't go to pubs much now but probably still remembering The Vines as it was in the '90s and early '00s, with the great beer festival, hog roast and the people that used to come in on an evening selling snacks (Pepperamis, prawns, crab sticks etc) out of a basket.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Are there any others?

The Becket has upped its game in recent years with decent food and a reasonable choice of beer. Was refurbed about 3-4 years ago.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
To continue the theme, The Elms in Broadwater has gone and The Southdown seems to be having a lot of building work done so I'm now fearing for that one too. The Old House at Home (Broadwater again) seemed to be a good neighbourhood pub though. I quite like the John Selden although it's a bit dreary. The Selden Arms in town is the choice of serious real ale drinkers (of a certain age).
The Bull and The Mulberry in Goring both seem to be hanging on in there. The Alex and The Egremont (both in town) have both had some money spent on them. There's also a new bar opening in Goring Road.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The Bull and The Mulberry in Goring both seem to be hanging on in there.

Both need to up their game in my view. Not even to either for a year or so but felt like either could be replaced in the near future by housing of some sort. The Bull has location in its favour and it's not too big so residential development would be difficult. But the Mulberry is on a prime large site that would make a lot sense as a residential development of some sort.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here