Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68
  1. #51
    Sexy Pete... :D Worthingite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    4,824


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Vine was a great community pub until John Chambers lost interest and put in managers before selling up back in the early 90s. Since then it has been on a long downward slide - despite the refurb - which is a real shame. G&D has always been good but even that seems to be losing some trade to the Parsonage across the road. Will be interesting to see what impact the second micropub has on the area. I'm not a fan of the Green Man as his beer choice is too limited (unlike Brooksteed) but if the new place is any good it will draw people away from the village pubs.

    Interesting comment from @Bozza about the John Selden. It is my nearest pub and I used to be a regular in there. Rod the landlord is a great raconteur (he also had the Old House at Home before the John Selden) and the posh side of the pub is quite nice with decent food at a reasonable price. However, he has always played it safe with the beer and as I moved more into different craft beers, I just couldn't face going in there for a bottle of Becks.

    Even the Wandering Goose has gone badly downhill over the last year. Much smaller beer selection and a tendency to have the music so loud you can't have a conversation. There have been a couple of decent additions to the towns drinking. I think the Corner House has promise and a good atmosphere. Also, The Egremont isn't bad. Reasonable selection of beer, good food and an interesting mix of ages. It seems to run from young to old as you go from the front to the back of the pub.
    The Eg is a cracking pub, and before I moved to tarring, it was my go to pub for a night out. The Goose, and their sister pub, The Libertine, are just awful imo. Crap, over hopped nonsense. The Selden Arms, The Swan and the Hare and Hounds are all also good, although I appreciate a bit "old man" for some people's tastes.
    I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand......

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm struggling to think of any genuinely decent neighbourhood pubs in Worthing.

      I was in the John Selden recently with @Papa Lazarou and @Insider and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

      Are there any others?
      Cobden is ok, just been done up, a real
      Locals place


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • #53
      Members
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      Sussex
      Posts
      313


      0 Not allowed!
      Ive heard someone is trying to open up a sports bar down goring road few doors down from the new micro pub, if its true hope it gets the go ahead
    • #54
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      37,086


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Ive heard someone is trying to open up a sports bar down goring road few doors down from the new micro pub, if its true hope it gets the go ahead
      Not been to the new micro there yet - I need to get down there.

      It's not Dan, the chap who runs The Valley Bar in Findon is it? I have a vague recollection of him once saying he was looking at opening up something similar elsewhere. A mid-parade-of-shops thing certainly sounds similar.

      Back to what I was saying before - I don't disagree that Worthing has some very good pubs now, but it feels a bit sparse once you venture away from the town centre. I'm a big fan of The Corner House - probably my favourite currently.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.
    • #55
      I'll look after the skirt Pinkie Brown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      At the end of the Pier
      Posts
      2,643


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Vicar! View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As far as I am aware The Selden has never sold Carling Cider and never will.
      Pretty sure the poster was refering to the John Selden near Salvington, not the Selden Arms on Lyndhurst Road.
      Why take up crime when there are legal ways of being dishonest.
    • #56
      The Disowned Masses
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      12,231


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Vicar! View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As far as I am aware The Selden has never sold Carling Cider and never will.
      Sorry, I mean the John Selden, not the Selden Arms
      Follow @kmoorman1968 on Twitter

      Visit my Devon Gold Prospecting Blog
    • #57
      Unused sub REMF 4 Yoda's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Location
      Worthing, West Sussex, United Kingdom
      Posts
      8,564


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not been to the new micro there yet - I need to get down there.

      It's not Dan, the chap who runs The Valley Bar in Findon is it? I have a vague recollection of him once saying he was looking at opening up something similar elsewhere. A mid-parade-of-shops thing certainly sounds similar.

      Back to what I was saying before - I don't disagree that Worthing has some very good pubs now, but it feels a bit sparse once you venture away from the town centre. I'm a big fan of The Corner House - probably my favourite currently.
      Corner House is at the end of my road so quite often end up in there if I go out for a drink. Will also venture out to the Eggy sometimes too.

      H&H will be a lunch stop if in town at the weekend. Still quite often go to the Rose & Crown too.

      Not been in the Cobden for a few years, don't know if its the same guy still running it but I used to know Steve the landlord.
      Why DON'T YOU ALL JUST
      Forza la Viola, Forza Fiorentina!!!
      Worthing Raiders RFC!!!
    • #58
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bloody Worthing!
      Posts
      1,060


      0 Not allowed!
      Some of us have never quite recovered from the re-branding of the Thieves Kitchen...................
    • #59
      North Stand Brighton Boy catfish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      7,338


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Corner House is at the end of my road so quite often end up in there if I go out for a drink. Will also venture out to the Eggy sometimes too.

      H&H will be a lunch stop if in town at the weekend. Still quite often go to the Rose & Crown too.

      Not been in the Cobden for a few years, don't know if its the same guy still running it but I used to know Steve the landlord.
      Steve has left the Cobden and it is now run by the people from the Smugglers/Ham pub.
      See you in the morning down by the jetty.
    • #60
      Habitual User Questions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      14,930


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm struggling to think of any genuinely decent neighbourhood pubs in Worthing.

      I was in the John Selden recently with @Papa Lazarou and @Insider and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

      Are there any others?
      The Cricketers the George and Dragon and my local The Selden. I take your point though. Oh the Rose and crown and the Hare and Hounds as well. First 3 are ok
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because itís not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
yyy