Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    North Stand Brighton Boy catfish's Avatar

Downview Pub in Worthing to close on Sunday.

0 Not allowed!
    Yet another pub bites the dust and a staunch Albion supporting one at that. Probably the best boozer in Worthing to watch the Albion on the box.
    See you in the morning down by the jetty.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Global Circumnavigator John Byrnes Mullet's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      It's really sad that so many pubs are shutting down in areas with high real estate prices. They are the hubs of communities.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Go past there most days and there rarely seem to be anyone in there so am not surprised really. Turning into flats which means some lucky person can watch all the traffic at the gates at West Worthing crossing from their living room.

0 Not allowed!
      It's been dead in there for ages, Mrs V and I stopped off there for a drink on New Years Eve and at 9,30 in the evening on what should be the busiest night if the year there were about 8 people drinking. Sad, but times change. The Green Man just over the crossing is usually rammed despite its poor decor.
      Could it be that if you sell crap beer you get no punters?

The big brewers need to dump their boring mass marketed piss and allow them to buy and sell decent beer or more will go. Trouble is, the owners would rather flog them off for flats.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

0 Not allowed!
      Oh man. That is sad news. I used to know quite a few of the regulars from the Saloon Bar back in the early 90s. Phil the Fridge, Gay Michael, Scottish Andy...so many characters.
      My music blog: de-minimis music

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yet another pub bites the dust and a staunch Albion supporting one at that. Probably the best boozer in Worthing to watch the Albion on the box.
      Usually go in there if the Albion are away and on the telly box,it seems it's the only time it gets busy,last time I went in there(Leeds away) can't say the staff were to friendly,sensed a bit of attitude towards some footy fans and the two glum looking Doris's behind the jump looked aggrieved that it was so busy.
      It's a real shame it's closing but as others have said,unless there's football on it's a bit of a graveyard in there.
      Time for the G&D to get sky sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Sad news , decent pub in its day but last time I went in there the beer was rank and so was the atmosphere.

2 Not allowed!
      Sad, but predictable times, the only pubs that can really make things work are the free houses or the brewery ones who do good food. (The Downview is sadly neither)
      Grew up round that part of town and it's really sad what the whole place has become, 40 years ago, the parade of shops by the Downview had 4 banks, two butchers, two greengrocers, and a number of specialty shops, all but the odd shop now gone.
      I was always under the impression that there was some kind of covenant on the Downview which meant it had to stay a pub, that clearly has been removed or has run out, but the building is clearly worth more to the Brewery for development than a pub.
      It still leaves me one of the those nights I will never forget, England 4 Holland 1, Euro 96,the pub rocked that night.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Mum worked there when it was a decent busy pub Bryn Eaver was the governor. Sad to see but a way of the future./

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Baker lite View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Time for the G&D to get sky sports?
      Fairly sure the G&D doesn't need Sky Sports - have watched plenty of sport over the last few years in there on 'international' channels.

Downview has never been a great pub - as others have said, not a great atmosphere, never been loved by the brewery, food offering has always been basic and always crap beer.

I did read that the Grand Central (Chapmans to most) is about to have some money spent on it. Not sure if it will ever get back to the glory days of the late 80's, early 90's but there is always hope. Maybe @Lenny Rider could start up the Sunday pop quiz again for old times sake. I'm assuming most of Uncle John's Band are now dead.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki