Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downview Pub in Worthing to close on Sunday.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yet another pub bites the dust and a staunch Albion supporting one at that. Probably the best boozer in Worthing to watch the Albion on the box.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Go past there most days and there rarely seem to be anyone in there so am not surprised really. Turning into flats which means some lucky person can watch all the traffic at the gates at West Worthing crossing from their living room.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's been dead in there for ages, Mrs V and I stopped off there for a drink on New Years Eve and at 9,30 in the evening on what should be the busiest night if the year there were about 8 people drinking. Sad, but times change. The Green Man just over the crossing is usually rammed despite its poor decor.
Could it be that if you sell crap beer you get no punters?

The big brewers need to dump their boring mass marketed piss and allow them to buy and sell decent beer or more will go. Trouble is, the owners would rather flog them off for flats.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh man. That is sad news. I used to know quite a few of the regulars from the Saloon Bar back in the early 90s. Phil the Fridge, Gay Michael, Scottish Andy...so many characters.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yet another pub bites the dust and a staunch Albion supporting one at that. Probably the best boozer in Worthing to watch the Albion on the box.

Usually go in there if the Albion are away and on the telly box,it seems it's the only time it gets busy,last time I went in there(Leeds away) can't say the staff were to friendly,sensed a bit of attitude towards some footy fans and the two glum looking Doris's behind the jump looked aggrieved that it was so busy.
It's a real shame it's closing but as others have said,unless there's football on it's a bit of a graveyard in there.
Time for the G&D to get sky sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Sad news , decent pub in its day but last time I went in there the beer was rank and so was the atmosphere.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sad, but predictable times, the only pubs that can really make things work are the free houses or the brewery ones who do good food. (The Downview is sadly neither)
Grew up round that part of town and it's really sad what the whole place has become, 40 years ago, the parade of shops by the Downview had 4 banks, two butchers, two greengrocers, and a number of specialty shops, all but the odd shop now gone.
I was always under the impression that there was some kind of covenant on the Downview which meant it had to stay a pub, that clearly has been removed or has run out, but the building is clearly worth more to the Brewery for development than a pub.
It still leaves me one of the those nights I will never forget, England 4 Holland 1, Euro 96,the pub rocked that night.

Jul 7, 2003
Time for the G&D to get sky sports?

Fairly sure the G&D doesn't need Sky Sports - have watched plenty of sport over the last few years in there on 'international' channels.

Downview has never been a great pub - as others have said, not a great atmosphere, never been loved by the brewery, food offering has always been basic and always crap beer.

I did read that the Grand Central (Chapmans to most) is about to have some money spent on it. Not sure if it will ever get back to the glory days of the late 80's, early 90's but there is always hope. Maybe [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] could start up the Sunday pop quiz again for old times sake. I'm assuming most of Uncle John's Band are now dead.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Downview has never been a great pub - as others have said, not a great atmosphere, never been loved by the brewery, food offering has always been basic and always crap beer.

I dont agree completely as it was in the 60s and 70s and even before then. It was a working mans pub in the public bar, as my dad always said listening to the coal men who used it after work he knew every Corralls round in West Sussex. The Saloon bar was used mainly by people getting off the train from London and local business men. The Off sales was very popular but then supermarkets started selling cheap beer and this is the end result. The changes in the licences in the 90s and increased business rates will bring about more closures.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Used to be a regular of mine back in the 80s.. Normally before going into town.

Sad to see it go... but no great surprise

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Huge shame, they usually have 3 or so good real ales on too - another place gone

Harveys, Doom Bar and Betty Scogs ?...... can't believe it's closing despite selling those.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I dont agree completely as it was in the 60s and 70s and even before then. It was a working mans pub in the public bar, as my dad always said listening to the coal men who used it after work he knew every Corralls round in West Sussex. The Saloon bar was used mainly by people getting off the train from London and local business men. The Off sales was very popular but then supermarkets started selling cheap beer and this is the end result. The changes in the licences in the 90s and increased business rates will bring about more closures.
it all Wetherspoons fault

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh man. That is sad news. I used to know quite a few of the regulars from the Saloon Bar back in the early 90s. Phil the Fridge, Gay Michael, Scottish Andy...so many characters.

My mate was dating a girl that lived down the road towards the seafront for a short while in the early 90s and we stopped off there from time to time as a group. One Saturday or Sunday afternoon - probably a Saturday out of football season - we were in there and all the locals were pretty well steamed already. All of a sudden someone hurled a pool ball from one side of the pub to the other REALLY HARD. It somehow missed everyone's heads, beers and the lights and thudded harmlessly in to a wall. Everyone just kept on drinking.

I did read that the Grand Central (Chapmans to most) is about to have some money spent on it. Not sure if it will ever get back to the glory days of the late 80's, early 90's but there is always hope. Maybe [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] could start up the Sunday pop quiz again for old times sake. I'm assuming most of Uncle John's Band are now dead.

Another place we frequented at that sort of time and one of my favourite all time boozers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I spent a good deal of my late teens in there playing pool and bar billiards. A proper pub.

Will be sad to see it go and inevitably be replaced with another set of flats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here