Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] World Para Atheltics Championships

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm genuinely shocked and disappointed how few people are at the London Stadium tonight for the World Para Athletics. The stadium is all but empty as I watch on Channel 4 right now.

Does the "Olympic" label really make that much difference to people wanting to watch and support this kind of thing?

(We're going tomorrow night, having bought tickets months ago.)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I heard Sadiq Khan saying it's the best supported Para event (o/s the Olympics) at 18k as opposed to 3.5k as the next best.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
is that 18,000 tonight, supposedly? Doesn't look anything like that.

I think it is 18k across the entire event.

Edit:
I stand corrected. I just checked few articles and they all report that 230'000 tickets have been sold for the whole event, across all sessions.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
is that 18,000 tonight, supposedly? Doesn't look anything like that.

Exactly what I thought when I looked at the stadium.

He didn't elaborate on the 18k attendance just took it that it was as he was speaking.

The lower tier was not even full - I reckon under 10k.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Whatever the attendance, people are missing out on some incredible stuff, that Hannah Cockcroft amazing woman.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it is 18k across the entire event.

Exactly what I thought when I looked at the stadium.

He didn't elaborate on the 18k attendance just took it that it was as he was speaking.

The lower tier was not even full - I reckon under 10k.

Just researched it quickly. Apparently 280,000 tickets were sold in advance which is more than every other World Para Athletics Championships combined, which puts things into perspective somewhat.

Just a shame to see the contrast with the incredible support during the Olympics.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Going next Saturday, two tickets for two to both morning and evening session in total of £36. Hopefully people will get into it on channel 4 and then go along my.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brilliant interview with richard whitehead just now , truly inspirational stuff .

We went along last night and had a great time. A far bigger crowd than there appeared to be on Friday evening who gave great support to the athletes, particularly the British ones.

Richard Whitehead was fantastic, obviously, but so was Hollie Arnold, who won javelin gold, and Sophie Hahn and Sammi Kinghorn in two different 200m categories. As ever, some of the stories behind the athletes, and their amazing determination to succeed are incredibly inspiring.

It was also interesting to see the West Ham-isation of the stadium that has taken place since I was last there for athletics a few years back. Looking forward to visiting there this coming season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here