Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton (the area), pretends to be a mixture of San Francisco and France.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Quote:
If you’re looking for a place by the sea that pretends to be a mixture of San Francisco and France, you’ve come to the right place.

Brighton has the truly unique and incredible selling point of being home to pockets of easy-to-identify clans. I won’t bore you with details of the homeless crack beggars (you can find these across the UK) or the chavs (these too are native to our isles and are not unusual). Instead, I will focus on the two main annoyances of Brighton.

The Trustafarians
These people come from England or Europe. They are generally aged under 35 and spend their time cycling around and pretending to work when in fact, they just get given money from their parents to exist. Sometimes they go on the dole, it gives them a bit of street cred and their money gets topped up by mum and dad anyway. They never leave Brighton town centre and they are completely obsessed with how wonderful Brighton is and in particular their amazing contribution to making Brighton so f*cking wonderful.

The faux golden oldies
This is what the trustafarians graduate to, w*nkers in their forties who haven’t really done much in life but use their parents money to buy huge f*ck off flats in Brighton town centre. Usually you will find that they look back on their younger years as if they made it (as a musician, an artist, a club promoter, anyone really) – in actual fact, they never really were anyone to begin with.

These twats try and live a green lifestyle while living in one of Britain’s biggest consumerist hubs. They will buy organic handcrafted bars of shampoo to help save the planet, but will use Veet for hair removal, aka chemicals they wash down the drains and straight out to the beach. They will wring their hands over climate change and global warming, but book tickets to India and consume vast amount of cocaine. They will be absolutely appalled at the migrant situation, but they won’t offer one of their many spare rooms to a refugee, and they will step over Brighton’s own homeless people. They will be scathing about the Tories, but will have gone to a private school themselves, and will be completely oblivious to the fact that the only reason they aren’t living in a council basement bedsit is because they were privileged enough to be born wealthy – aka while they may not agree with the Tory line in principle, their very lives are structured according to the Tory model of birth rather than effort dictating your fate.

Brighton is beautiful in terms of architecture and position between the sea and south downs, but you’ll soon find that the two groups I mention above will end up wearing you down through the sheer hypocrisy of their lifestyles and the knock on effect it has on the town (in terms of nightlife and house prices).

I found this on a site and found it quite enlightening.
http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/brighton-pretends-mixture-san-francisco-france.html

For [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] I thought he'd find this amusing.
http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/sidley-scumpit-of-the-world-bexhill.html

:cool:

Sidley/Bexhill was amusing. :lolol:

It'll need updating when Wetherspoon's opens next week. Not quite sure any of that goes on in The Devi though................

I had a look on that site and this Hastings one is bang on the money though - http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/hastings-the-new-shangri-la-for-londons-vulture-investment-class.html

:lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yawn. All these critiques about Brighton and its many different cliques have been done to death. If it's meant to prick the bubble of pomposity then sadly, no-one in these target audiences are listening and no-one cares what outsiders think of them.

This. You can absolutely guarantee that Brighton will get at least a couple of near-identical write-ups every school year, always written by some world-weary nineteen year old :yawn:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
OP sounds bitter about something. Progress? Dunno, but the post is heavily laced with vitriolic angst way beyond humour or social critique.

"B right on" is a great place to live. At worst, a healthy inoculation for all that is pretentious in the world, but still great fun, vibrant, sexy and constantly pushing boundaries/norms.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Cobblers, the lot of it. On a warm summer's day when the seafront is full of people enjoying themselves, I can't think of many places in this country you would rather be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton was great up until about 2005/6 then it went rapidly downhill. I still like it in very small doses. Not the beach though, I don't do crowds. The problem of course is it is choc full of hipsters and the backlash against them started some 2 years ago now so some of that will bounce back on Brighton, the home of the very worst type of hipsters.
However , Sussex remains the greatest of all the English counties, 'tis a shame that some don't ever leave Brighton and get out and explore the place. I suppose comparing tattoos and vintage bicycles wouldn't get as much attention in Amberley or Bramber. As for "real beers", well go to any country or village pub in Sussex and it's there in abundance, only it's not fetishised, it's just what we drink out in the sticks of Sussex!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If it is a mix of 'Frisco and South of France.... it sounds good to me . And we we have the finest football club in the ......well, I don't know how far .

I wish I still lived there....had to move away , could not afford to move back .

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Why is the author so angry? Why is everyone on this thread so angry?

Brighton is the best place place to live in the UK. F*** off to Rochdale if you don't like it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why is the author so angry? Why is everyone on this thread so angry?

Brighton is the best place place to live in the UK. F*** off to Rochdale if you don't like it

I think that's the attitude that irks people. Brighton is not the best place to live in the U.K. But it is one of the nicest cities in the U.K.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
I think that's the attitude that irks people. Brighton is not the best place to live in the U.K. But it is one of the nicest cities in the U.K.

... In your opinion, I can't think of many places nicer to live in the UK. People just love to moan behind a keyboard

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
... In your opinion, I can't think of many places nicer to live in the UK. People just love to moan behind a keyboard

Good for you. Genuinely. Everyone should love where they live. I disagree that it's the best place but in the 25 years I lived there, for 15 of those I too thought it was an excellent place to live. Then I believe it started to change for the worse so I moved away and lived in a few other places, eventually settling in a much smaller place in Sussex. I wouldn't live in Brighton again now for anything but I don't mind visiting here and there. It's a good place, one of the great cities but despite appearances it's actually a very small minded town that has become a living cliche but that's the same of many places.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Couldn't agree more. However, being a Brightonian, born in Roundhill Crescent, am probably biased.
Have travelled the UK for work, with many stopovers. No other place in UK had the good vibe of Brighton.
For me the sea to the south, the Downs to the north and just one hour from possibly the best city in the World suits me best.
Yes, of course, I would expect others to disagree but would be interested to know where the author of the original crap lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here