Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Participated in a Protest March?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
There was quite anti American sentiment being raised

I get you. Scarily these multi national corporate entities are beyond UN edict.

Let's be honest though, the majority of folk who take the time to protest against their perceived injustices in the world probably guzzle far less Maccy Ds and Star****s than the majority of ambivalent grocks that don't give two fooks about anything beyond their next paycheck and their football teams result of a weekend. I'm just guessing here ?!?! Whaddayatink?

D

Deleted member 2719

Only the Falmer ones, i don't believe in marching for anger to protest, i will leave that for the drug fuelled Uni lefties and TLO.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the Anti war demo in Feb, 2003 which meant that I missed a victory at Bradford

I went on the first anti-war march in the autumn but missed the bigger once as I was at Bradford.

I've been too many marches to count: the big Poll Tax one, lots of CND ones, lots of anti-NF/BNP ones (including Lewisham in 1977, that was a bit hairy), marches supporting the miners, a march for jobs (against the Labour government to show that I'm pretty even-handed), both the Falmer marches and the Lancaster Gate one ....loads that I've forgotten.

I even found myself on a march in Berlin in support of asylum seekers - that was an interesting experience.

I'm almost sorry that my marching days are over - it was an essential part of growing up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Only the Falmer ones, i don't believe in marching for anger to protest, .

Yes, you're the kind of person who happily likes getting shite shovelled their way, and enjoys eating it. Or rather, when you get angry over your enhanced sense of entitlement, you come on here, and start grizzling, instead of doing anything constructive.

i will leave that for the drug fuelled Uni lefties and TLO.

Pitiful. I think you mean 'everyone who has posted on this thread'. Diddums.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, you're the kind of person who happily likes getting shite shovelled their way, and enjoys eating it. Or rather, when you get angry over your enhanced sense of entitlement, you come on here, and start grizzling, instead of doing anything constructive.

Pitiful. I think you mean 'everyone who has posted on this thread'. Diddums.

:bigwave::kiss:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
If by 'march' you mean walk purposefully to a destination and if by protest, you mean express my disagreement with the quality of Barm Cake served to me in a Macclesfield cafe then YES, I have been on a protest march.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've been on a few.

CND, Rock against Racism, Anti Apartheid, Irag War, Poll Tax, NUT, Anti Brexit...and I will keep marching for what I believe is right.

So there.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Went to a few Reclaim The Streets ones in the 90s as they usually ended in a rave. Did anti Iraq war protest as felt the troops were being endangered for no good reason. However these days I'm very unlikely to do a protest march as it just seems unproductive. If I felt that strongly about something I'd try to put that energy into constructive use.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Marches will gradually become a thing of the past, superseded on-line petitions - which always strike me as bit lazy, to be honest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't there a right to work march when the conservative party were having their party conference in Brighton in the early 80s ?

Was a student at the time and we all went as it kicked off

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes..march to the fa to tell them what a bunch of spineless ***** they are ...Fulham away I think it was.

Youngsters/ JCLs wouldn't know what we are talking about

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is there a perfectly aligned Venn diagram of everyone who hates the notion of war also hates the notion of coffee and dreadful burgers from a corporate chain?

I'm open to persuasion but I'm not sure if a Venn diagram would be the best option for this? I'd be tempted to try a Euler diagram to start with.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did a couple of low level anti-apartheid and anti-poll tax back in the day but I have to say there seem to be very few that are successful on either side. Just looking back on this thread at some noble ones can anyone say what degree of success they'll achieve. Rock Against Racism is all very noble but in my experience gigs and clubs are the least racist places going. Same but the other way with Veterans Against Terrorism. Surely 99% of us are against terrorism and current and serving forces even more so. Not sure it's going to stop the next radicalised idiot who wants to make a name for himself. Even myself going on anti-apartheid. In theory "it all helped" but I can't think it was anywhere near as influential as the protests in Townships and diplomatic pressure. My family's policy of not buying South African goods was probably more effective.

On the other hand our direct action against Archer and Bellotti got rid of them so who knows? :shrug:

Anyhoo, one protest that I took part in inadvertently, and that had absolutely no effect on anything whatsover was Financial Fools Day in the City. I was setting up a software project in Moorgate at the time and we were told to work from home if we could or else come in "dressed casual" so we didn't stick out. Unfortunately I had to be on site so went in.

Every other bugger in the office was in a designer polo shirt and chinos and stood out like Big Daddy at a slimming convention. I, on the other hand had an old clubbing t-shirt on with Diesel jeans and Adidas trainers (anyone who knows me can picture this now) and therefore looked like a plain clothes OB. Carrying a laptop case.

I left the office at 4. Bad mistake. Moorgate and Bank stations were closed. So I tried to walk to London Bridge and walked bang in to a huge gang of protesting crusties who were being kettled. I could not get through nor could I join the protest. In the bars around the City, instead of people setting up tabs on expenses there were other groups of crusties. So I sat and had a drink with a couple and very nice they were too when they realised I wasn't a banker or undercover OB.

At that point the agitators at the front kicked off and the police charged them back. Years of football game training kicked in as I sat and watched the show with a cold lager. Eventually they moved far enough up the street that I could get behind police lines and home.

Half an hour later the police killed Ian Tomlinson.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No I haven't. I'm not really that bothered about things.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I used to attend the live exports demos in Shoreham. Didn't take much effort on my part because they were virtually on my doorstep. I got arrested and charged for allegedly trying to drag a policeman into a baying mob which made him fear for his life according to his statement and later testimony. The truth was I was taking photos and he tried to grab my camera and I pulled it away from him. Despite a number of police taking video footage of the demos they didn't produce any footage to support their case, the natural assumption to be made was that none of their video footage captured the incident. However I wasn't prepared to make that assumption and decided to check for myself and managed to get access to police video footage which captured the event. It proved that my version of events was the true one. Bizarrely they still went ahead with the prosecution but obviously didn't use their own video footage as evidence as it would have significantly weakened their case. Instead I used the police video footage for my defence and the magistrates reluctantly found me not guilty.
The whole arrest thing was just a tactic to reduce the numbers of protesters because as soon as you were bailed to await trial you had an immediate banning order from attending the demo. Consequently there were large numbers of people arrested on very dubious and flimsy grounds as it was a quick and easy way to get rid of them, in theory. The tactic wasn't as effective as the Police had hoped though because we just continued turning up with scarves over our faces so we weren't recognised.
The day I got arrested was historically significant as it was the first day that DNA swabs were automatically taken in the UK from people when they were arrested which was the start of the national DNA database.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wasn't there a right to work march when the conservative party were having their party conference in Brighton in the early 80s ?

There was. My mates and I were on it as there was a free coach from uni to Brighton. Who could resist a free trip home?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here