Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Even Root is unable to bat and build an innings as his 78 was achieved in only 76 balls again 1 day stuff.
What in God's name are you on about? Root came in when we were 3/2. He had to counter attack to give us a chance. Along with Balance and YJB he dug us out of a massive hole. Only to get done by a great delivery, and then the rest collapsed.

Did you watch Root's innings? It was far from "one day stuff". I love test cricket but it's not always about digging in any more. Thankfully.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are going to need all the batsmen to dig in and build an innings and occupy the crease. 30 ball 50s will be no good unless they can all do it with a couple of them going on to centuries if we are to get anything out of this game.

In an ideal world we need Cook and Jennings to both get 50 + but more important still be there after tea and preferably at stumps tomorrow evening. A tall order but possible and bore the pants off everybody to achieve a result.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We are going to need all the batsmen to dig in and build an innings and occupy the crease. 30 ball 50s will be no good unless they can all do it with a couple of them going on to centuries if we are to get anything out of this game.

In an ideal world we need Cook and Jennings to both get 50 + but more important still be there after tea and preferably at stumps tomorrow evening. A tall order but possible.

If the top 9 batsmen score a 30 ball 50, we'll win just after tea tomorrow.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So 474 required in 6 sessions and 10 minutes. Time isn't an issue, just ineptitude.

:)

Bat and bat and bat England.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought we won the first test?

You might want victory, but with your approach we'd be more likely to draw.
There ain't going to be a draw - not unless it rains, or some planks want to dig up the pitch to protest about some scumbag bank robber being rightly sent to prison! SA have two days to get 10 wickets. If they fail, and England manage to bat out the match, in two days they will have amassed the runs needed - 250 runs a day is nothing in Test Cricket these days.

SA strong favourites, I'm afraid.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There ain't going to be a draw - not unless it rains, or some planks want to dig up the pitch to protest about some scumbag bank robber being rightly sent to prison! SA have two days to get 10 wickets. If they fail, and England manage to bat out the match, in two days they will have amassed the runs needed - 250 runs a day is nothing in Test Cricket these days.

SA strong favourites, I'm afraid.

I think 'strong' is an understatement.

SA are fully in control. I can't see Cook surviving long, straight balls appear to be impossible for him to play, and he's at huge risk of lbw (he get's his front leg too rigid and then plays round it) and also is dodgy outside off stump. Now, if you bowl on leg stump he's all over you!

Not sure about Jennings - not seen enough of him.

Ballance will also be out lbw as his natural trigger movement takes him so far back into the crease.

Root - could he save us?

Bairstow - another that may have the technique and temperament to save us

Stokes - does he have the patience?

Moeen - our last chance once he's in

After that it's more a matter of hope - Wood can hang around for a bit.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Think we'll be lucky to see out today let alone tomorrow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doomed I'm afraid. It's just the manner of the defeat to be decided. Anyone care to look up the largest losing margin in runs?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd hazard a guess we'll be 27-3 early on, stage a dogged fight for a while, probably involving Root &/or Bairstow and get to 120-3 before another clatter of wickets, leading to 260 all out

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All with Saffers using some back up bowlers as well, not good enough

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd hazard a guess we'll be 27-3 early on, stage a dogged fight for a while, probably involving Root &/or Bairstow and get to 120-3 before another clatter of wickets, leading to 260 all out
Pretty much what I think except that we won't make it to 200.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Something in my memory tells me we were in a similar helpless situation some good few years ago, not sure of the opponents, and Peter May and Colin Cowdrey pulled us out of it with a 400+ partnership.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Something in my memory tells me we were in a similar helpless situation some good few years ago, not sure of the opponents, and Peter May and Colin Cowdrey pulled us out of it with a 400+ partnership.

'A good few years' = 60 and it was the 3rd innings of the match after a large 1st innings deficit, which ended in a draw.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think 'strong' is an understatement.

SA are fully in control. I can't see Cook surviving long.........this is the Cook who has two of the highest test innings (both over 250) of any English test batsman, and has scored more test centuries than any other Englishman? OK........

Not sure about Jennings - not seen enough of him. So, on the other hand, he might be good?

Ballance will also be out - admit I haven't got great confidence in him.

Root - could he save us? This is the Joe Root who has also scored 250 in a Test match, and has a Test Match average of over fifty?

Bairstow - another that may have the technique and temperament to save us. He's scored 150 in a Test Match before.

Stokes - does he have the patience? He can boast going even better - he's got a Test 250 to his name; the fastest one ever scored, by the way......

Moeen - our last chance once he's in - who's also scored a Test 150+. And so has Broad - you missed him out.

After that it's more a matter of hope - Wood can hang around for a bit.

Amended a bit for you, just to point out that we're not putting out a bunch of batting incompetents - also you missed out the no.11 batsman who participated in the highest Test Match 10th. wicket stand ever.

All in all though, I still consider SA to be strong favourites - and I still consider 'strong favourites' to sum up the situation quite accurately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here