Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tom Westley and Dawid Malan have been named in the 13-man squad for the Third Investec Test against South Africa starting at the Kia Oval next Thursday.

Essex’s Westley is set to earn his first cap with selectors confirming he will bat at number three in the 100th Test at the Oval.

Middlesex batsman Malan is also included in the squad for the first time and could feature if England decide on selecting an extra batsmen when they confirm their starting line-up next week.

Westley, 28, has been in good form for Essex where he has scored 478 runs in the Championship this season, including two centuries, at an average of 53.11. He also impressed for the England Lions last winter and at Worcester last month, where he scored 106 not out against South Africa’s full strength bowling attack.

Malan, who made his England debut last month in the deciding T20 against South Africa, where he scored 78 off 44 balls in Cardiff, has been a consistent performer with Middlesex in red ball cricket. He averages 42.50 in the Specsavers County Championship this season with a highest score of 115.

England squad:
Joe Root (Yorkshire, captain)
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
Keaton Jennings (Durham)
Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Tom Westley (Essex)
Mark Wood (Durham)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm glad the selectors have picked Westley. The purpose of the England Lions is to blood players internationally in the longer format of the game and it would have been perverse had he been overlooked after bagging a ton vs South African batting at 3 just 3 weeks ago.

It is important that the selectors continue with the policy of giving an opportunity to those that do well for the Lions.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not too happy with the two new additions, I've an evening at Lords next Thursday for Middlesex Essex T20.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Rather than 'aftertime' when we see how TRJ gets on, I'll pin my colours to the mast right now, and say I'm am NOT in favour of his section.

Just like Dawson, another throw-back to England selections of the 80s and 90s when they were so desperate to find players who could do a 'bit of both'.

His CC record is bang average in both disciplines:
Roland-Jones has taken 22 wickets at an average of 35 in the County Championship Division One this year and averages 23 with the bat.

If Wood is injured, chose the best available FAST BOWLER, not an average bowler in TRJ who can 'bat a bit'.

If we need a spinner, pick the best available SPINNER, not an average batsman in Dawson, because he can 'bowl a bit'.

As we've gone over, the two-facet capabilities of Bairstow, Moeen and Stokes entire negate the need for crappy picks like these two, in search of 'balance'.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Rather than 'aftertime' when we see how TRJ gets on, I'll pin my colours to the mast right now, and say I'm am NOT in favour of his section.

Just like Dawson, another throw-back to England selections of the 80s and 90s when they were so desperate to find players who could do a 'bit of both'.

If Wood is injured, chose the best available FAST BOWLER, not an average bowler in TRJ who can 'bat a bit'.

If we need a spinner, pick the best available SPINNER, not an average batsman in Dawson, because he can 'bowl a bit'.

As we've gone over, the two-facet capabilities of Bairstow, Moeen and Stokes entire negate the need for crappy picks like these two, in search of 'balance'.
Nice one [emoji106]

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

:lolol:

Well bowled!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He can pretend that was on porpoise.

(I have no idea why I'm mentioning sea creatures, I never really understood that game)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good call, he looks RUBBISH. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
fair play to the chap. He's done me RIGHT up!
Driving to Gorseinon listening to TMS with a huge grin on my face thinking about your analysis of TRJ and the fact I deleted an equally damning post about "bits and pieces" cricketers......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here