Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know people say in my day but I am sure that in the past we have had many batsmen who wouldnt have given away their wicket so cheaply but we are talking of batsmen who were taught to bat not play village cricket every other game.

Today they needed to occupy the crease and forget about the runs and just take them if and when they come.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know people say in my day but I am sure that in the past we have had many batsmen who wouldnt have given away their wicket so cheaply but we are talking of batsmen who were taught to bat not play village cricket every other game.

Today they needed to occupy the crease and forget about the runs and just take them jf anc when they come.

So every wicket is bad batting and not good bowling ? How did Root 'give his wicket away' ? He was castled by an 87mph inswinging yorker - superb bowling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gary Ballance has played 40 Test innings, scored 1467 runs, 4 hundreds, 7 fifties and an average of 38.6, that puts his average ahead of Atherton, Hussain, Lamb, Gatting, Butcher, Botham, Randall...

The batsmen you list had to routinely face some fearsome pace bowlers the like of which do not exist in test cricket today, e.g Lillee, Imran Khan, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Donald, Pollock, Hadlee.

38.6 in today's money would barely have got you a test average of 30 in the 80s, and Ballance wouldn't have lasted 5 mins against any of the 11 bowlers I have named.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The batsmen you list had to routinely face some fearsome pace bowlers the like of which do not exist in test cricket today, e.g Lillee, Imran Khan, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Donald, Pollock, Hadlee.

38.6 in today's money would barely have got you a test average of 30 in the 80s, and Ballance wouldn't have lasted 5 mins against any of the 11 bowlers I have named.

He's barely able to last 5 mins against any test bowler it seems......especially if they pitch it up.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
have we lost yet?

edit: just seen the scorecard, didn't think we had much of chance tbh our batsmen mostly don't know how to occupy the crease anymore, someone (Boycs?He would know anyway :) ) on TMS yesterday was saying something about England's only attitude to batting being to try and thrash the ball about the park, constantly try to hit as hard as you can, there just doesn't seem to be as much ability anymore to just stay and try to bat out a couple of days.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The obvious answer is to scrap some or most of the one day competitions but the counties need the cash they generate. Or accept we have a generally poor test team.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Turned off. Complete and utter rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here