Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's happening up the Amex?

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
Well that was not the best day to visit the club shop. When I said to the chap in the security hut we wanted to visit the club shop, he said "Oh I thought you had come to be converted" �� We were told they were expecting 10,000 per day, quite a few in the club shop buying bits and bobs so all good for business.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The club do not have to host this, they have no obligation to, its being done purely for profit, so I don't really get the relevance of the equality act.

Legal precedent has been set that if they refuse without good (non Equality Act infringing) reasons, then the courts might well decide that they're in breach. For the club, the least risky thing to do is to accept the booking unless they have a prior booking already in place.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Given that we are now well out into the wilderness in terms of thread diversion, here's my approach to Jehovah's witnesses and such like knocking on the door.

• First tell them you are an atheist (this gets them a little excited, they do love a challenge)
  • Then tell them that you are prepared to open your mind and listen to them, acknowledging they may be right and you wrong (they will be starting to mutter 'Giggedy' under their breath such is the mounting excitement they are now struggling to contain)
  • BUT tell them there is a deal here. If you are going to be open to their views, they must be equally open to yours - fair enough right?
  • So explain that before you can engage with them you have to hear them tell you that they are prepared to open their own minds and say that they are open to changing their own beliefs and to admit you may be right about the absence of god
Enjoy watching them struggle, and fail, to work out the correct response...

Perhaps the difference between them and you is that they would want to give you an honest answer, whereas you, I suspect, are lying. Life is much easier when there is no obligation to be honest.

Me? I just set the dogs on them.

el punal

We're a business, not a left wing political party.

Profit is required.

Well said. We have a venue that is available for hire to create revenue for the club. What damn difference does it make if they are religious group that differs from your persuasion. As long as it's within the law who are we to carp on about their faith and beliefs.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Love the fact that our club, that's supposed to embrace the diverse values of liberal Brighton is willing to turn a blind eye to stuff like this video when there's money involved. Unacceptable really.

Freedom of speech.

I completely disagree with their message but they have the right to promote what ever bollocks they want so long as it's not violence.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I've just seen one of their cars.

rally.JPG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Given that we are now well out into the wilderness in terms of thread diversion, here's my approach to Jehovah's witnesses and such like knocking on the door.

• First tell them you are an atheist (this gets them a little excited, they do love a challenge)
  • Then tell them that you are prepared to open your mind and listen to them, acknowledging they may be right and you wrong (they will be starting to mutter 'Giggedy' under their breath such is the mounting excitement they are now struggling to contain)
  • BUT tell them there is a deal here. If you are going to be open to their views, they must be equally open to yours - fair enough right?
  • So explain that before you can engage with them you have to hear them tell you that they are prepared to open their own minds and say that they are open to changing their own beliefs and to admit you may be right about the absence of god
Enjoy watching them struggle, and fail, to work out the correct response...

Or alternatively just say "no thanks", close the door, and carry on with your life.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Legal precedent has been set that if they refuse without good (non Equality Act infringing) reasons, then the courts might well decide that they're in breach. For the club, the least risky thing to do is to accept the booking unless they have a prior booking already in place.

I don't see how. Any business can turn down an offer of custom because they might lose money on the deal, or don't have the staff on that particular date and so on and on. What cannot be done is to refuse the business because of doubts over the morality of the organisation being offered.

There is a simple way out of this. On licensed premises at least (and the Amex is certainly that) it is possible to say that the potential audience/participants will not. in the licencees opinion, satisfy the licensing objectives and in order to comply with them he or she has decided to refuse the booking. But why turn this lot away in the first place? They may be kooks but they aren't going to get drunk, fight or conduct themselves badly. And a bit of God bothering pre-season probably won't hurt Albion's chances...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wonder if it were a Muslim convention (and we all know how liberal their views are on certain topics) wether the "offended " on this thread would openly object!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Two Jehovah Witnesses made the mistake of visiting my (now long departed) Grandmother who could talk the hind legs off several Donkeys and held many 'forthright' views on religion. She invited them in immediately with a warm welcome, much to their surprise. When I turned up to see how she was, about an hour later, they were stiil there looking none to happy. I think it was developing into a hostage situation They used my arrival to make a break for the door. Wonderful woman.

:angel:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wonder if it were a Muslim convention (and we all know how liberal their views are on certain topics) wether the "offended " on this thread would openly object!!

Or the Cat's Protection League, you just KNOW someone on here would have something to say about that!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Two Jehovah Witnesses made the mistake of visiting my (now long departed) Grandmother who could talk the hind legs off several Donkeys and held many 'forthright' views on religion. She invited them in immediately with a warm welcome, much to their surprise. When I turned up to see how she was, about an hour later, they were stiil there looking none to happy. I think it was developing into a hostage situation They used my arrival to make a break for the door. Wonderful woman.

:angel:

Mrs Not Andy Naylor knows more about religion and the bible than any Jehovah's Witness and she enjoys keeps them talking for hours - which prevents them wasting other people's time. At one point she had two of them so confused about what they believed that their boss came with them next time, but she had him on toast. They don't call so much any more.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Mrs Not Andy Naylor knows more about religion and the bible than any Jehovah's Witness and she enjoys keeps them talking for hours - which prevents them wasting other people's time. At one point she had two of them so confused about what they believed that their boss came with them next time, but she had him on toast. They don't call so much any more.

:salute: to Mrs Not Andy Naylor.

To be fair I really did feel sorry for one of them. She was a girl in her mid late teens who looked thoroughly miserable even before she had experienced my Gran's hospitality. Not sure if the older bloke was her relative but she was probably indoctrinated from a young age. Very sad.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Ha! That reminds me of that episode of Father Ted where Dougal makes the bishop lose his religion!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just catching up with NSC after a few days away from it. The only way this thread could get even tastier is if they all rocked up to the Amex on bicycles, dressed head to toe in lycra and having held up the traffic by NOT using the cycle lanes. And THEN started going on about how great it was that the new Dr Who was a Doris :lol:

Each to their own and live and let live FFS! :shrug:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thankfully JW's aren't violent and destructive like these liberal left who go around smashing up others property and injuring people.

That's why it's a better bet for the club to deal with JW's than politically motivated morons.

I'm suggesting political violence and destruction of private property in western English speaking nations is overwhelmingly undertaken by the left.

/B]

/QUOTE]

I'm an individual motivated person. I don't spout a political party line.

I'd include the far right in there but the far right don't seem to turn up and undertake shit like we saw at the G20 summit.

Most right leaning protests seem to be 20 fat bald men that wave some flags and then go home.

Really? No political party line but 'Lefties' are violent turds'? Meanwhile in your world 'Right Leaning Protests' are 20 bald men waving flags?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here