Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is London now too dangerous a place to live?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Joining this thread late, and haven't read it all, but it's pretty clear that any family that possibly can escape from certain parts of South London is doing so. One of the major reasons why house prices in sussex are so high.

It's like the mass exodus from East London to Essex in the 60s, 70s and 80s

Of course, there are some great parts of London, but certain areas are not great for bringing up a family.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didnt fancy reading it, or just didnt fit you agenda .............

The Crime Survey is generally considered a good measure of crime experienced by individuals because it is not affected by changes to how crime is recorded.

It also includes crimes that have historically been under-reported to the police - for example, domestic abuse.

This means the overall crime rate recorded by the survey is always higher than the number of crimes recorded by the police. Only an estimated 42% of all crimes recorded in the Crime Survey are reported to the police.

1) The crime survey is "generally considered" a good measure. Who says? And more importantly what says? I don't want to get too scientific but a woolly statement like the one quoted doesn't cut it with me. Feel free to provide some more back ground.
2) You state "the overall crime rate recorded by the survey" is higher than than recorded by the police. There's all manner of bias involved in surveys so you can't simply use the one you've chosen and ignore all others. Again, I know nothing of this survey so please let me know what rigour your applied to convince yourself of its validity.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
1) The crime survey is "generally considered" a good measure. Who says? And more importantly what says? I don't want to get too scientific but a woolly statement like the one quoted doesn't cut it with me. Feel free to provide some more back ground.
2) You state "the overall crime rate recorded by the survey" is higher than than recorded by the police. There's all manner of bias involved in surveys so you can't simply use the one you've chosen and ignore all others. Again, I know nothing of this survey so please let me know what rigour your applied to convince yourself of its validity.

Its here, you have so much personal bias I doubt whether it will make any difference .....

https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/info...nglandwales/crimesurveyforenglandandwalesfaqs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Reports on the BBC of a 47 yr old man sprayed with a corrosive liquid by 2 men on mopeds in Knightsbridge. This is the most expensive area of London. Seems like these horrendous attacks are no longer confined to the rough parts of London like Hackney.

Who are these attackers, are they local thugs or have we imported this type of behaviour from abroad. Anyone who sprays acid in someone's face should they not be tried for attempted murder ?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Reports on the BBC of a 47 yr old man sprayed with a corrosive liquid by 2 men on mopeds in Knightsbridge. This is the most expensive area of London. Seems like these horrendous attacks are no longer confined to the rough parts of London like Hackney.

Who are these attackers, are they local thugs or have we imported this type of behaviour from abroad. Anyone who sprays acid in someone's face should they not be tried for attempted murder ?

They never have been confined to Hackney or other " rough parts".

London is a big city - crime happens everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
They never have been confined to Hackney or other " rough parts".

London is a big city - crime happens everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying but the last six reported acid attacks have all been in London. So it seems London is particularly bad for this type of sickening violence. Less than 12 months ago, I only heard of this happening in countries like Pakistan and India.

Is now a good time to move out of London, you will get a high price for your flat or house and move to a much nicer area that doesn't resemble a war zone, like Brighton and Hove !

You might even catch some premier league football if your lucky ..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here