Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is London now too dangerous a place to live?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I feel safer in New York, I go at least twice a year. I think it is probably because I'm always exclusively in Manhatten and all the unsavoury parts of New York are in other boroughs like Bronx, queens etc so I have never seen any trouble.

Agreed. I've worked on construction sites in the Bronx and Queens and never seen any real trouble - just a lot of unemployed folk mooching about drinking coffee. Like anywhere, if you go looking for trouble you'll find it. London just seems to have got a lot more aggressive in some places in recent years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought we had all decided that Burnley won that accolade, London did not even come close, are we going to have to go through all that again?

Stoke, closely followed by Burnley.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well Mays answer to knife crime is up the age of consent to buy a knife :lolol: what a muppet that will really put the shits up the hood rats now :facepalm:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Another car robbery at traffic lights in lewisham, 2 motorbikes pulled up alongside a Porsche and threatened driver with a knife in broad daylight on a busy road. I do take on board other comments about all city's have dodgy areas but I do think in the last 2-3 years, London is Now the clear winner for scumbags living there and violence. No wonder so many middle class people are selling up moving out of London. I register about 60-80 people a week looking to buy in Brighton and at least a third are from London and usually south or east London. Now I know why !

Even peacehaven/ Newhaven must look idyllic in comparison !!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Well Mays answer to knife crime is up the age of consent to buy a knife :lolol: what a muppet that will really put the shits up the hood rats now :facepalm:

I dont think Hood rat means what you think it does, rat being short for rachet,slang for a thot, or slutty female.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I have an inkling that you live in a 'nice bit of South London' though, which pre-supposes you see lots of other areas which are not so nice. Large parts of Lambeth for example are not so nice.

North of the river also, you could not pay me to live in Harlesden (so please don't try).

Streatham... at the lower end of the scale but better than some

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40665733

"Violent crime up 18% in England and Wales"

Seems violent crime in general is up. It's the country which isn't safe, not just London. And I thought the Tories were tough on crime? 18% increase on their watch is shocking. It makes you wonder what they're doing all day because they certainly ain't looking after the people.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40665733

"Violent crime up 18% in England and Wales"

Seems violent crime in general is up. It's the country which isn't safe, not just London. And I thought the Tories were tough on crime? 18% increase on their watch is shocking. It makes you wonder what they're doing all day because they certainly ain't looking after the people.

Whats the matter fed up of looking at decreased fuel prices, inflation rates, unemployed figures and todays increased sales figures, so thankfully you found this to throw rotten eggs at the UK, good work.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Streatham... at the lower end of the scale but better than some

Lived in Streatham 2000-2002 and went for a run round to warm up for a track race last year, loads of social cleansing going as the rich move out, so 'white' compared to what it used to be. Where are the less well off going to go?

As for the OP - London is safe as compared to many places, but certain areas worse than others. Of all the crimes that have been reported, when was the last one that wasn't NE or E London?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whats the matter fed up of looking at decreased fuel prices, inflation rates, unemployed figures and todays increased sales figures, so thankfully you found this to throw rotten eggs at the UK, good work.

This is a thread about danger and safety. Why would I mention petrol prices? That would be a bit weird.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This is a thread about danger and safety. Why would I mention petrol prices? That would be a bit weird.

What is particularly weird is how you yearn for any statistic that might cast a shadow over the UK, whether it be political, social or economic, no matter of its accuracy, this BBC piece backed up by some ONS and NHS facts makes interesting reading but wont immediately support you skewed UK view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39817100

Crime Survey for England and Wales:

This is a face-to-face survey of 38,000 adults and children in which they are asked about their experiences of crime in the previous year.

Until 2016, the survey did not include fraud and cyber crime. If you exclude those crimes in order to compare like with like, then between 2010 and 2016, crime fell by 35%.

If you were to include those offences that were added in 2016, it would look like the crime rate has gone up.

The Crime Survey is generally considered a good measure of crime experienced by individuals because it is not affected by changes to how crime is recorded.

It also includes crimes that have historically been under-reported to the police - for example, domestic abuse.

This means the overall crime rate recorded by the survey is always higher than the number of crimes recorded by the police. Only an estimated 42% of all crimes recorded in the Crime Survey are reported to the police.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) says part of the rise is a genuine increase in crime in some areas, for example knife crime in London.

But some of it will be down to both changes in recording practices, and focused efforts from police to tackle certain crimes which leads to higher levels being recorded.

Two new harassment offences were added to the category "violence against the person". If you exclude these offences, the rise in total violent crimes is 14%.

There have been recent improvements in recording certain offences, such as modern slavery, which will push up the figures.

However, in the long term injuries from violence recorded by the NHS back up the idea that violence has generally been falling over time, not just under Mrs May's watch but since 1997.

What the crime figures say depends on which ones you choose to look at. Researchers at the ONS say on balance the evidence suggests there have been some genuine increases in certain types of crime over the last year but the long-term trend is that violence has been falling, not just under Mrs May's watch but for the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What is particularly weird is how you yearn for any statistic that might cast a shadow over the UK, whether it be political, social or economic, no matter of its accuracy, this BBC piece backed up by some ONS and NHS facts makes interesting reading but wont immediately support you skewed UK view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39817100

Crime Survey for England and Wales:

This is a face-to-face survey of 38,000 adults and children in which they are asked about their experiences of crime in the previous year.

Until 2016, the survey did not include fraud and cyber crime. If you exclude those crimes in order to compare like with like, then between 2010 and 2016, crime fell by 35%.

If you were to include those offences that were added in 2016, it would look like the crime rate has gone up.

The Crime Survey is generally considered a good measure of crime experienced by individuals because it is not affected by changes to how crime is recorded.

It also includes crimes that have historically been under-reported to the police - for example, domestic abuse.

This means the overall crime rate recorded by the survey is always higher than the number of crimes recorded by the police. Only an estimated 42% of all crimes recorded in the Crime Survey are reported to the police.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) says part of the rise is a genuine increase in crime in some areas, for example knife crime in London.

But some of it will be down to both changes in recording practices, and focused efforts from police to tackle certain crimes which leads to higher levels being recorded.

Two new harassment offences were added to the category "violence against the person". If you exclude these offences, the rise in total violent crimes is 14%.

There have been recent improvements in recording certain offences, such as modern slavery, which will push up the figures.

However, in the long term injuries from violence recorded by the NHS back up the idea that violence has generally been falling over time, not just under Mrs May's watch but since 1997.

What the crime figures say depends on which ones you choose to look at. Researchers at the ONS say on balance the evidence suggests there have been some genuine increases in certain types of crime over the last year but the long-term trend is that violence has been falling, not just under Mrs May's watch but for the last 20 years.

What is definitely weird is someone casting doubt on actual recorded figures using an estimate based on a survey of just 38,000 people. What makes you think your figure is the more accurate? What's the error rate of such a small survey? You clearly have an agenda.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But you are right, we should be happy inflation has started to drop from 2.9%. It's just a damn shame it had to rise so much in the first place. Yours is a similar argument to being punched in the face one being better than being punched in the face twice.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is definitely weird is someone casting doubt on actual recorded figures using an estimate based on a survey of just 38,000 people. What makes you think your figure is the more accurate? What's the error rate of such a small survey? You clearly have an agenda.

Didnt fancy reading it, or just didnt fit with your desperation to take a pop at everything UK .............

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here