Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renato Neto: Deal OFF after fails medical

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Andy fell out with the Albion in a very serious way for not towing the party line a few years back. The reality is the Albion are very corporate and channel all their news through one source and put up brick walls when it suits them.
In order to get access to the club at times you have to be diplomatic. There are loads of Journos writing about the Albion. Over the years Andy has done better than most (including the Archer days) to describe him as a lap dog is ridiculous- you really don't know him.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes as I said he didn't toe the line once, got burned, lost privileged access to info and therefore has no choice but to say very little until it's club sanctioned. For me personally that makes him moribund.

I never claimed to know him just know how I feel when I read his often conceited smug toned articles....especially these days.

Please - it's toe the line.

Genuine thanks, always happy to be picked up on SPAG and learn something in the process. :thumbsup:

The club does not leak information the way it used to and very few people know exactly who our targets are. In a rather good forthcoming book, Paul Winstanley says that most of the names linked with us are wide of the mark. Most of the rumours are creativity on the part of journalists or agents hoping to raise a bit of interest in their clients.

I'm looking forward to reading your book Nick and agree that i'd rather we conducted our business the way we do but it's sad that for me a local journo can't speculate for fear of being completely ostracized by the club/lose any access he's regained from being muzzled due to a previous indiscretion. (I don't personally agree with the way the club handled that particular scenario around Garcia's reasons for leaving but that's another issue.)

But let's talk about exclusives - let's say Mr Naylor gets wind of a transfer we're about to do and reveals it in the Argus. If another club picks that up on NewsNow and gazumps us, as Norwich did last season, would that make you happier?
No of course not but I simply don't believe that if news breaks from a source to a journo who writes a story that it's the act of publishing a story that leads to said gazumping. Anyone close to the player wanting to bid up his player/ the commodity would simply tout to any other interested party.

And, these days, 'challenging the club' has often meant a ban. Ask the local papers in Bournemouth, Southampton, Swindon, Newcastle and Middlesbrough.

Sure I accept that in this instant gratification/news is currency world that there will be less and less institutional challenge for fear of retribution/bans but as it stands anything he writes is simply a regurgitation of the truth already issued via sanctioned club channels.

Why not go out on a limb, report things his own way, risk the ban and earn kudos/respect from the supporter base who might well respond positively rather than the pretty universal condemnation of his current dour style?

Look, this game is all about opinions and yours in particular as having written many excellent articles for the nationals is one I highly respect so we'll have to agree to disagree on this occasion. Suffice to say I just wish we had a more proactive hard hitting chap covering our club for the local rag.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sure I accept that in this instant gratification/news is currency world that there will be less and less institutional challenge for fear of retribution/bans but as it stands anything he writes is simply a regurgitation of the truth already issued via sanctioned club channels.

Why not go out on a limb, report things his own way, risk the ban and earn kudos/respect from the supporter base who might well respond positively rather than the pretty universal condemnation of his current dour style?

Look, this game is all about opinions and yours in particular as having written many excellent articles for the nationals is one I highly respect so we'll have to agree to disagree on this occasion. Suffice to say I just wish we had a more proactive hard hitting chap covering our club for the local rag.

In a perfect world he might well want to do that, but he is an employee of a paper that depends very heavily on its Albion coverage - two successive front page stories - and his bosses would not want him to jeopardise that. Now I don't know what the present editor's attitude would be to Andy going out on a limb about interest in a player, or criticising the club's recruitment, but I can make a guess.

In the end, editors will get their way. I once wrote a match report for a certain newspaper then based in East London that was critical of the behaviour of the manager of a well-known Premier League club, whom I accused of holding the media, and so by extension our readers including his club's fans, in contempt. It was rewritten without my knowledge.

Then, a few months later, I had a bad news story about a club a few miles along the coast from here. Unfortunately, I found out later in the day that the bad news story was wrong and, annoyingly, the news was good after all - but I had exclusive quotes backing up the updated story.. So I called the sports desk and told them that the original story was not as we had first thought. They said not to bother rewriting, that they preferred the story as it was. Even though it was untrue.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Does this mean he’s back over here and the club are trying to reignite the deal or do you/your daughter live over there and it was a coinkydink?
Unlikely perhaps, he hasn't played a minute thus far this season according to Soccerway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Does this mean he’s back over here and the club are trying to reignite the deal or do you/your daughter live over there and it was a coinkydink?

If you read Marxo's location, he's in Ghent ��

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So a big well done to our medical team - not played this season...

Odd, the fella was seriously injured with a well documented recurring knee problem, when he arrived.

A big well done for that is the very epitome of 'every child gets a prize'.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Odd, the fella was seriously injured with a well documented recurring knee problem, when he arrived.

A big well done for that is the very epitome of 'every child gets a prize'.

Harsh. they picked up the extent of the knee injury, which surely cannot be ignored.

A strained ligament or damaged cartilage is a lot different to a ruptured cruciate or alike.

I think his club were very disingenuous allowing to come over, for what they surely knew would be a failed medical on that basis alone.

I suppose they got a second opinion and a free scan out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here