Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tributes to Bradley Lowery

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most of the Sunderland Fans I've read about on the Internet don't want that either to be honest, some are suggesting a stand and far more would rather see the Family area at The Stadium of Light named after him.

As for the publicity today, I believe this all being done to raise further funds for The Bradley lowery Foundation which is to further advancements in the Treatment of the type of cancer that killed him and currently stands at just over £1 million.

Yes, the charity is doing well, and hopefully will fund research to stop further deaths from this horrible disease.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Point taken as far as today is concerned, but I was more concerned about getting on with life afterwards. And I realise I am coming over as a massively insensitive so-and-so (but I started in that vein so I'll continue), but talk of renaming Sunderland's stadium is very OTT.

I understand your view. I haven't commented on this sort of thread before, but felt moved to over this boy. On TV news the other day they played a video of him saying his "favourite player was Jermaine Defoe" ... what a sweet voice.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I work on the outskirts of Sunderland, in a building where a few people know Brad's family personally. Today, every single one of the near 300 people who work in our office turned up in football shirts in his honour. Probably 250 Sunderland, 49 Newcastle and 1 Albion. It was a very touching scene.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I work on the outskirts of Sunderland, in a building where a few people know Brad's family personally. Today, every single one of the near 300 people who work in our office turned up in football shirts in his honour. Probably 250 Sunderland, 49 Newcastle and 1 Albion. It was a very touching scene.

I find that bizarre. I'm old fashioned I know it. Not miserable. Old fashioned. I just don't understand these mawkish public displays bordering on competition to out grieve your neigbour. Narcissist and sometimes dangerous even.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I understand your view. I haven't commented on this sort of thread before, but felt moved to over this boy. On TV news the other day they played a video of him saying his "favourite player was Jermaine Defoe" ... what a sweet voice.

Defoe has highly admirable throughout this story. Throughly decent man, feel for him.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I find that bizarre. I'm old fashioned I know it. Not miserable. Old fashioned. I just don't understand these mawkish public displays bordering on competition to out grieve your neigbour. Narcissist and sometimes dangerous even.

In turn, I don't understand your viewpoint one iota. His family specifically asked for this display of affection, not just for Brad but to highlight the plight of every other child suffering through this cruel disease.

Perhaps this isn't the thread for you.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In turn, I don't understand your viewpoint one iota. His family specifically asked for this display of affection, not just for Brad but to highlight the plight of every other child suffering through this cruel disease.

Perhaps this isn't the thread for you.

Too many people confuse not demonstrably grieving, supporting etc with being unsympathetic. And you appear to be one. In my experience the silent majority of people are still uncomfortable with this relatively modern phenomena but are forced to go along clapping at games, silent minutes in shopping centres etc for fear of exactly what you're doing by reply.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Too many people confuse not demonstrably grieving, supporting etc with being unsympathetic. And you appear to be one. In my experience the silent majority of people are still uncomfortable with this relatively modern phenomena but are forced to go along clapping at games, silent minutes in shopping centres etc for fear of exactly what you're doing by reply.

I totally appreciate that people wish to express, or indeed not express, their grief in a multitude of ways. I just don't see the harm in a very visible public display, which went directly in tune with what his family asked for. For you to describe this as narcissistic and dangerous is something that I just can't get my head around, personally.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I totally appreciate that people wish to express, or indeed not express, their grief in a multitude of ways. I just don't see the harm in a very visible public display, which went directly in tune with what his family asked for. For you to describe this as narcissistic and dangerous is something that I just can't get my head around, personally.

Please, apply a bit of common sense and run with this in the sense. Not taking about BL specifically as dangerous. The wider context that it's a short step to i.e. government or religious coercion. People become so conditioned by demonstrable action that before long those who don't flay themselves in public must be, well, they must be saying the polar opposite > j'accuse > burn 'em! It's exactly how dictatorships work. Now, not suggesting we're about to become Korea tomorrow. But our democracy isn't above being manipulated by savvy media tycoons and spin doctors. When Diana died, my god, anyone who said, hang on, she wasn't exactly an Angel amongst all the queen of hearts candle in the wind flower throwing publically wailing at her passing was a very brace person indeed! They would have been lynched, careers finished etc!

As for narcissism, that's easier to explain. Attention seeking has never been higher in the digital world and it extends to tragedies. I'm more upset than yo etc. There are a lot of needy people in this world. That's not the same as there are lots of people in need btw. Have you not noticed?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Please, apply a bit of common sense and run with this in the sense. Not taking about BL specifically as dangerous. The wider context that it's a short step to i.e. government or religious coercion. People become so conditioned by demonstrable action that before long those who don't flay themselves in public must be, well, they must be saying the polar opposite > j'accuse > burn 'em! It's exactly how dictatorships work. Now, not suggesting we're about to become Korea tomorrow. But our democracy isn't above being manipulated by savvy media tycoons and spin doctors. When Diana died, my god, anyone who said, hang on, she wasn't exactly an Angel amongst all the queen of hearts candle in the wind flower throwing publically wailing at her passing was a very brace person indeed! They would have been lynched, careers finished etc!

As for narcissism, that's easier to explain. Attention seeking has never been higher in the digital world and it extends to tragedies. I'm more upset than yo etc. There are a lot of needy people in this world. That's not the same as there are lots of people in need btw. Have you not noticed?

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Jermain Defoe. Absolute top man. Can't get enough praise for his friendship with a Bradley and family.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

You do have a point, but using excessive exaggeration to put it across, isn't doing you any favours.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jermain Defoe. Absolute top man. Can't get enough praise for his friendship with a Bradley and family.

Defoe has acted very well in this, and brought the lad and his family a lot of comfort. But should he be Sports Personality of the Year for it? He's third favourite at the moment. Maybe he should, it's just not an approach we've seen before in that vote.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

No one is forced to do anything. If you want to express your grief/ sympathy/ apathy, it's a free world...do it how the f you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here