Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fantana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally appreciate that people wish to express, or indeed not express, their grief in a multitude of ways. I just don't see the harm in a very visible public display, which went directly in tune with what his family asked for. For you to describe this as narcissistic and dangerous is something that I just can't get my head around, personally.
    Please, apply a bit of common sense and run with this in the sense. Not taking about BL specifically as dangerous. The wider context that it's a short step to i.e. government or religious coercion. People become so conditioned by demonstrable action that before long those who don't flay themselves in public must be, well, they must be saying the polar opposite > j'accuse > burn 'em! It's exactly how dictatorships work. Now, not suggesting we're about to become Korea tomorrow. But our democracy isn't above being manipulated by savvy media tycoons and spin doctors. When Diana died, my god, anyone who said, hang on, she wasn't exactly an Angel amongst all the queen of hearts candle in the wind flower throwing publically wailing at her passing was a very brace person indeed! They would have been lynched, careers finished etc!

As for narcissism, that's easier to explain. Attention seeking has never been higher in the digital world and it extends to tragedies. I'm more upset than yo etc. There are a lot of needy people in this world. That's not the same as there are lots of people in need btw. Have you not noticed?
    "Never miss a good chance to shut up"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Jermain Defoe. Absolute top man. Can't get enough praise for his friendship with a Bradley and family.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Please, apply a bit of common sense and run with this in the sense. Not taking about BL specifically as dangerous. The wider context that it's a short step to i.e. government or religious coercion. People become so conditioned by demonstrable action that before long those who don't flay themselves in public must be, well, they must be saying the polar opposite > j'accuse > burn 'em! It's exactly how dictatorships work. Now, not suggesting we're about to become Korea tomorrow. But our democracy isn't above being manipulated by savvy media tycoons and spin doctors. When Diana died, my god, anyone who said, hang on, she wasn't exactly an Angel amongst all the queen of hearts candle in the wind flower throwing publically wailing at her passing was a very brace person indeed! They would have been lynched, careers finished etc!

As for narcissism, that's easier to explain. Attention seeking has never been higher in the digital world and it extends to tragedies. I'm more upset than yo etc. There are a lot of needy people in this world. That's not the same as there are lots of people in need btw. Have you not noticed?
      You do have a point, but using excessive exaggeration to put it across, isn't doing you any favours.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
      Jermain Defoe. Absolute top man. Can't get enough praise for his friendship with a Bradley and family.
      Defoe has acted very well in this, and brought the lad and his family a lot of comfort. But should he be Sports Personality of the Year for it? He's third favourite at the moment. Maybe he should, it's just not an approach we've seen before in that vote.
      worshipping Omiros

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Too many people confuse not demonstrably grieving, supporting etc with being unsympathetic. And you appear to be one. In my experience the silent majority of people are still uncomfortable with this relatively modern phenomena but are forced to go along clapping at games, silent minutes in shopping centres etc for fear of exactly what you're doing by reply.
      No one is forced to do anything. If you want to express your grief/ sympathy/ apathy, it's a free world...do it how the f you want.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado