Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to "Ladies and Gentleman"

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It does seem odd that the people who say that they aren't permanently offended feel the need to tell us every time something seems to ... offend them.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why make a big announcement over this?
Transport for London bosses could have told employees to stop saying " Ladies and gentlemen" and start saying "Hello everyone"
Not sure why it's such a big thing, unless TFL are saying " oh look at us, we are so PC " :rolleyes:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Things like this get passed precisely because of people like me not being bothered. I just think it's desperately sad.

So you're annoyed that you're not annoyed by this. Trust me, if you really want to get angry, there's lots of things to justifiably get angry about.

This isn't one of them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I remember a few years ago someone in HR coming to me (as line manager for HR) in a real bother. She had to complete the monthly government stats form for employment change in month. Each gender had four boxes: starting number, joiners, leavers, and a final box that had to be net total of those three, or the online submission threw a wobbly.

Her problem was that someone had transgendered during the month, so how could we reflect that in the return?

It's what has made our country great...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ladies and gentlemen, I had some correspondence from my professional society recently referring to its male and female membership as 'those identifying as male or female'. I accused them of virtue signalling, and cocking it up because there are far more than two genders to identify with. The context was something to do with the women's section of the society. I told them that the women's section is open only to women, not big hairy blokes who identify as women (and threatened to identify as a women to prove it). We are given only 3 options to 'identify' as when we join: male female or 'other', so I accused them also of sending corrspondence that was offensive to the 'other' category, apparently excluded from the communication. I think they realised that they'd ****ed up because I got no reply. What will happen is next time this pathetic form of language won't be used. It was basically someone who had been promoted beyond her brain grade attempting to show she's up with all the latest trends, and her boss not checking or understanding.....The same will be true in the present case, for sure.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
The world's gone mad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40591750

The "ladies and gentlemen" greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.
London Underground staff have been told to say "hello everyone" in an effort to become more gender-neutral.
TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt "welcome".
LGBT campaign group Stonewall welcomed the decision, which was supported by London mayor Sadiq Khan at a session of Mayor's Question Time last month.
The revised phrasing will be applied to all new pre-recorded announcements made across the capital's transport network.
Mark Evers, director of customer strategy at TfL, said: "We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network.
"We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he supported the change to gender neutral language
Mr Khan said he was "keen" TfL speak in a "more neutral way".
He said: "TfL serves a vibrant, diverse and multicultural city, and provision of an inclusive transport service is at the heart of TfL's purpose.
"I am aware however, that some customers may not relate to or feel comfortable with the way that certain station announcements are made."
TfL said it had briefed staff on use of the new language "though from time-to-time, well-meaning staff may still use the term 'ladies and gentlemen"."
"If this happens frequently, we will issue reminders to staff," it added.
Stonewall said: "Language is extremely important to the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community, and the way we use it can help ensure all people feel included.
"We welcome gender neutral announcements to be rolled out across TfL as it will ensure that everyone - no matter who they identify as - feels accounted for."

Absolute bollocks , offended for the sake of being offended , who's got the chip on their shoulders
regards
DR

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Ladies and Gentlemen

I have said it before (and beeen crucified by NSC) that in 1901 when you go for a pee the toilets are labeled "gentlem and ladies". In the rest of the stadium if you go for a pee you go to the"men" or "women". What t is the problkem? The only difference is that if you are a 1901'er the queue is shorter and you pee in a prceline urinal rather than a plastic one.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Kind of ironic that these gender neutral warriors are such c***s

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I'm genuinely surprised at the mainly negative reaction. When I heard the news I thought "Good, about time, everyone will approve of this." That's got nothing to do with modern gender fluidity, more to do with the fact that "Ladies and Gentlemen" is a horribly anachronistic expression that should have been consigned to the dustbin of history long ago.

Just my opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What next, announcements are a problem because they wrongly assume that everyone can hear. This is discriminating against the deaf.

you may jest, theres far more deaf people than those with gender issues.

i cant say i recall a "ladies and gentleman" announcment, wouldnt notice this policy change. and theres the thing that grates with me, why this needed to be announced, to wave a great big flag of rightousness around?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don't worry about it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have said it before (and beeen crucified by NSC) that in 1901 when you go for a pee the toilets are labeled "gentlem and ladies". In the rest of the stadium if you go for a pee you go to the"men" or "women". What t is the problkem? The only difference is that if you are a 1901'er the queue is shorter and you pee in a prceline urinal rather than a plastic one.

Who did you get crucified by, the spelling police? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here