Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to "Ladies and Gentleman"

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So while in my rant mode, surely "Ladies and gentlemen" covers all the bases doesn't it? I mean you may be a lady trapped in a gentleman's body, or vice versa. What you're not going to be is a Martian with two willies . . . . are you? ???

Apparently there is a section of of society that consider themselves neither male or female, my thoughts are if they are struggling with the ID maybe a quick check down below may help them solve the conundrum!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Maybe, just maybe, a better run transport system would make people happier.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
But why was it ever gender specific? You wouldn't make an announcement to "young and old" or "working class and upper class", so why "ladies and gentlemen"? Yes, I know this is a cultural thing that applies beyond transport. But for station announcements, was anything other than "attention, please" ever needed?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder how many complaints they have had by those offended by being addressed as Ladies or Gentleman. Single figures if any at all would be my guess.
Yes, but there are those out there who have made a life-style of being offended on behalf of other people (even if the other people aren't offended). Some of them, it seems, make a living out of it - working for TfL, for instance.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I dunno, why are we all on an Albion forum if we didn't identify ourselves as Albion fans? Because it matters to us.

There aren't many tube or indeed train stations around the world that have identified people as fans of a certain football club over the tannoy, but if they did it probably wouldn't bother me very much.

Also, I think the answer you're looking for is the fact we live in a self-entitled, identity obsessed, safe-space nanny state.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
:shrug: I usually have headphones in anyway.

That said ... I was stuck on the central line bank platform the other day during heavy delays and I'd left my headphones at work, and they must've played the same clip of Alan Titchmarsh over the speakers about 50 times within a space of 15 minutes. I'm surprised nobody jumped.

But there was nothing to jump in front of...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just seeing the term, 'Gender specific' is generally enough to make me despair. When did everyone become so wrapped up and obsessed with how they identify themselves.

Because identity and your sense of self is at the very core of who you are. To have the sense that you, at your most basic level, are part of some nebulous 'other' must be equally as draining as some people find the term 'gender neutral'.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
There aren't many tube or indeed train stations around the world that have identified people as fans of a certain football club over the tannoy, but if they did it probably wouldn't bother me very much.

Well, if they're soon not to be referring to gender at all over the tannoy then it would follow that you wouldn't be bothered by that either. It's not like you're going to have to listen to a whole list of gender identities every time there's a tube announcement.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well, if they're soon not referring to gender at all over the tannoy then it would follow that you wouldn't be bothered by that either. It's not like you're going to have to listen to a whole list of gender identities every time there's a tube announcement.

Things like this get passed precisely because of people like me not being bothered. I just think it's desperately sad.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
What about my community. The late night drinker. When are we going to be recognised & served with a decent night service?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The world's gone mad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40591750

The "ladies and gentlemen" greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.
London Underground staff have been told to say "hello everyone" in an effort to become more gender-neutral.
TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt "welcome".
LGBT campaign group Stonewall welcomed the decision, which was supported by London mayor Sadiq Khan at a session of Mayor's Question Time last month.
The revised phrasing will be applied to all new pre-recorded announcements made across the capital's transport network.
Mark Evers, director of customer strategy at TfL, said: "We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network.
"We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he supported the change to gender neutral language
Mr Khan said he was "keen" TfL speak in a "more neutral way".
He said: "TfL serves a vibrant, diverse and multicultural city, and provision of an inclusive transport service is at the heart of TfL's purpose.
"I am aware however, that some customers may not relate to or feel comfortable with the way that certain station announcements are made."
TfL said it had briefed staff on use of the new language "though from time-to-time, well-meaning staff may still use the term 'ladies and gentlemen"."
"If this happens frequently, we will issue reminders to staff," it added.
Stonewall said: "Language is extremely important to the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community, and the way we use it can help ensure all people feel included.
"We welcome gender neutral announcements to be rolled out across TfL as it will ensure that everyone - no matter who they identify as - feels accounted for."

New TFL announcement for today's London, could be..........

"Mind the gender gap" :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here