Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will prove harder PL survival or gaining promotion from championship?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Like for like given the much more restricted budget and lower club profile last season, compare that to this season, more money and higher profile. What do you feel will prove to be the harder challenge, PL survival or gaining promotion from the championship?

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
At least in the championship we were a bigger fish. Lower mid table obscurity will be a huge result for us however I think the bed wetters will freak with anything less than a top 3 position.. If we survive this season then expect us to find it easier to attract players next season thats for sure.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
At least in the championship we were a bigger fish. Lower mid table obscurity will be a huge result for us however I think the bed wetters will freak with anything less than a top 3 position.. If we survive this season then expect us to find it easier to attract players next season thats for sure.
Top 3 :lolol: even the complete mattress soakers surely wouldn't expect that ???

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It took us 6 attempts to gain promotion from the Championship, hopefully we can gain Premiership survival before the 6th attempt

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Getting promoted.

I'd say there are as many as 17 teams in the Champ that will start the season looking to get in play offs or better, vs 13 in the Prem who will start with the objective of avoiding relegation.

So a case of 3/17 (18%) vs 10/13 (77%) to achieve the goal ... a simplistic view but feels about right.

Only exception perhaps is that the 17 will reduce fairly quickly in the last third of season whereas the 13 probably won't

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Getting promoted.

I'd say there are as many as 17 teams in the Champ that will start the season looking to get in play offs or better, vs 13 in the Prem who will start with the objective of avoiding relegation.

So a case of 3/17 (18%) vs 10/13 (77%) to achieve the goal ... a simplistic view but feels about right.

Only exception perhaps is that the 17 will reduce fairly quickly in the last third of season whereas the 13 probably won't

I'm leaning the same way, everyman and his dog is trying to buy their way out of the champ!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Getting promoted.

Thinking along the same lines myself. 17 teams out of 20 will avoid the drop, but only three out of 24 will get promoted.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
We only have to finish forth bottom. If Burnley could stay up last season, there's no reason we can't.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

This season - no. Not even the people with mattresses stained all shades of yellow and rusty bed springs are expecting a top three finish this season.

IF we survive for a couple of years though ...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like for like given the much more restricted budget and lower club profile last season, compare that to this season, more money and higher profile. What do you feel will prove to be the harder challenge, PL survival or gaining promotion from the championship?

Half the teams in the Prem are piss-poor fall-guys just hanging on in there for the gravy train. Will be genuinely disappointed if we don't finish top ten.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's impossible to tell right now, but in the last two seasons we've managed to finish above plenty of teams with more money and better resourced than us, which is effectively what we've got to do again.

Is finishing above Huddersfield, Burnley and Watford more of a challenge than finishing above Newcastle, Norwich and Villa looked this time last season? I'd say the challenge was of similar difficulty.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Survival in the first season will be harder I think, and more critical.

Yes there are some poor sides up there and we should be able to match/exceed their points totals, but mentality plays a huge part and most of our players are used to winning.

I guess i'm saying CH has a tough job managing expectations and the lows we may encounter along the way. I'm confident he will.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

I haven't got time to fill it all in, but here's my prediction after 6 games

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 15.35.57.png

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Last year we were on a roller coaster. There were several occasions when we were second best but managed to sneak a win. When we did lose it was thoroughly deserved. When we lost most supporters, if not all, felt that on these occasions (Huddersfield, Norwich stand out) many of the players gave poor performances.

If we are going to stay up we need to see far more consistency in our play, week in and week out and more importantly after the international breaks. Given the comments that CH made after each match last season (win or lose), he is very aware of this. Important we get a few early wins under our belt and are not planted firmly at the foot of the table come November.

Nerves will play a big art of this and while we get used to the frantic pace of the premier division I would be happy see a couple of boring draws in our first few game while we find our feet. Opposing players will be fitter, faster and better equipped to take advantage of defensive errors.

By writing this I have taken the first step to being the bag of nerves that I had been prior to the Wigan gamegiphy.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here