Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films you'll always watch if you're flicking through channels?...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The problem I have with FMJ is that you know it was filmed in the London Docklands with a few potted palm trees dotted around. Someone said the same about the recent Brad Pitt WWII tank film Fury - that try as you might to imagine its France or Germany, you know it was filmed in Hampshire.

If you worry about that there is barely a film you can enjoy for what it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The problem I have with FMJ is that you know it was filmed in the London Docklands with a few potted palm trees dotted around. Someone said the same about the recent Brad Pitt WWII tank film Fury - that try as you might to imagine its France or Germany, you know it was filmed in Hampshire.

Oxfordshire.
I won't tell you that most of the French scenes for Band of Brothers were filmed in Ashdown Forest as well as a large chunk of Saving Private Ryan and that all the Nazis are from a reenactment group from Surrey. The openeing beach sequence from SPR was filmed in County Wexford, Ireland. The reason being our forests are pretty much identical to those in France and filmmakers have a very hard time trying to get local French and German extras to dress in Nazi uniform, understandably. Also staging full scale, real life battles from wars is not very sensitive in the countries that were occupied.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
ET - The Extraterrestrial. I must have seen it about 70 times

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
ET - The Extraterrestrial. I must have seen it about 70 times

Wow. I cant imagine any film holding my interest 70 times. Not having a dig but there's so many films out there why watch one 70 times?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oxfordshire.
I won't tell you that most of the French scenes for Band of Brothers were filmed in Ashdown Forest as well as a large chunk of Saving Private Ryan and that all the Nazis are from a reenactment group from Surrey. The openeing beach sequence from SPR was filmed in County Wexford, Ireland. The reason being our forests are pretty much identical to those in France and filmmakers have a very hard time trying to get local French and German extras to dress in Nazi uniform, understandably. Also staging full scale, real life battles from wars is not very sensitive in the countries that were occupied.

Non sequitur. Bloke with an allotment on my row was Private Ryan's son. In the first and last scenes of the film around the grave.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If I see that a must-see film is on late, I'll record it and savour another day, rather than watch live and fall asleep. There's a few classics that would not be missed, like Westworld (original), Duel, Zulu.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wow. I cant imagine any film holding my interest 70 times. Not having a dig but there's so many films out there why watch one 70 times?

I just adore the film. It is like a drug, so uplifting and beautiful

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Steve Martin's The Jerk. So funny!
Alien 1 & 2
All of Lord of the Rings
Lawrence of Arabia
and another thumbs up for Calamity Jane. Never liked musicals but I do love that one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this has just descended into a "favourite films" thread now. I mean I love the film Saving Private Ryan, but if I flicked over and it was already halfway through, then there's no way I'd sit there through the rest of it.

Have a word.

NeilS

Apr 12, 2012
Kill Bill.
Then I have to find & watch Kill Bill 2 after.
The Crow also

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here