Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jo Konta - the 'British' thing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway Simster is right all this thread does is deflect away just how shite The LTA is, this is just the equivalent of a Trump tweet about ISIS while his son is all but bringing down his presidency.

Instead of glorifying the abject failure of blond wild card entrants, people should be asking how the fook can an associations last winner be Virginia Wade in 1977 (that's assuming they had anything to do with that).

We've had 40 years of losers, 'foreigners', and players who couldn't get away from the 'system' fast enough.
(Plus Annabel Croft :wink: )

Just how much has that cost?

Chris Froome was born in Kenya to VERY English parents, who had emigrated there from Gloucestershire.

Bradley Wiggins was born to his English mother and Aussie father in Ghent as that's where he was riding.
BW and his mum returned home when he was 2 when his dad left them.

I am confused - was it his father that was riding and was that when he was born or conceived ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Instead of glorifying the abject failure of blond wild card entrants, people should be asking how the fook can an associations last winner be Virginia Wade in 1977 (that's assuming they had anything to do with that).

She grew up in South Africa and came back here in her mid teens, so I doubt it they did with her either!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Anyway Simster is right all this thread does is deflect away just how shite The LTA is, this is just the equivalent of a Trump tweet about ISIS while his son is all but bringing down his presidency.

We've had 40 years of losers, 'foreigners', and players who couldn't get away from the 'system' fast enough.

You'd love the LTA to be exposed to the same sort of funding scrutiny and pressure as, say, UK Sport over Olympic funding. Having to justify and show 'medals' for the millions.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And Denny Solomona, Ben Te'o and the Vunipola brothers playing Rugby for England isn't a joke?

As much of a joke as Pacific Islanders Malakai Fekitoa, Jerome Kaino, Waisake Naholo and Vaea Fifita playing for the All Blacks.

As for Konta, coming here as a 14 year old makes her British enough in my eyes.

In sport it seems the more desperate you are for success the greater the "flexibility" of acceptance. In the 80s we were desperate to rush through a visa for South African Zola Budd and get her in a GB vest such was our dearth of world class female athletes. Nowadays she'd be told to "pizz off bek to Sith Afrika".

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Annabel Croft :love:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Both Andy Murray and Johanna Konta were hothoused by their respective sets of pushy parents through the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona, so it could be argued that both players owe as much of their successful development to Spain as to anywhere else.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What do we call Murray Mount for Konta, then? Hungary Hill? Sydney Slope?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'd love the LTA to be exposed to the same sort of funding scrutiny and pressure as, say, UK Sport over Olympic funding. Having to justify and show 'medals' for the millions.
There's some terrible omissions through that system, basketball and badminton instantly spring to mind, but at least there's some accountability.

If the LTA doesn't take a penny in public/lottery money then fair enough I withdraw my comments as they're completely wrong, but if they have their hands out, like everybody else, and produce NOTHING then yes they should have to justify themselves.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There's some terrible omissions through that system, basketball and badminton instantly spring to mind, but at least there's some accountability.

If the LTA doesn't take a penny in public/lottery money then fair enough I withdraw my comments as they're completely wrong, but if they have their hands out, like everybody else, and produce NOTHING then yes they should have to justify themselves.

Their main source of income is Wimbledon profits, about £40million a year I think. I don't know how much the AELTC ask them to prove the effectiveness of how this money is spent. You'd hope they do.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I have both Aussie (by birth, 29 years of life) and UK (thanks to my dad, 11 years of life) passports, so I really don't care. I get to 'claim' her success either way :p

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If she's been here since she was 14, lives in Britain, represents Britain, and even sounds British then what is anyone complaining about?

It's totally different to Rusedski or all the other examples given above where people just pick and choose their nationality based on some vague family connection or the fact that they've been somewhere a few years as an adult.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Both Andy Murray and Johanna Konta were hothoused by their respective sets of pushy parents through the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona, so it could be argued that both players owe as much of their successful development to Spain as to anywhere else.

If you listen to Jo, it wasn't hothousing it was parents supporting her own drive to succeed from the age of 9.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Why, when people do well at sport, do people accuse their parents of being pushy? Andy Murray made the decision to leave Scotland aged 15, and go to Spain, and Judy was quite sad about it.

You forgot Jamie Murray btw.

It's the same old British attitude of build them up, and then knock them down.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Why, when people do well at sport, do people accuse their parents of being pushy? Andy Murray made the decision to leave Scotland aged 15, and go to Spain, and Judy was quite sad about it.

You forgot Jamie Murray btw.

It's the same old British attitude of build them up, and then knock them down.

Spot on it was 100% Andy's decision.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What do we call Murray Mount for Konta, then? Hungary Hill? Sydney Slope?

I've drawn a blank on the topography, so it's got to be 'Johanna's Manor'.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If she's been here since she was 14, lives in Britain, represents Britain, and even sounds British then what is anyone complaining about?

It's totally different to Rusedski or all the other examples given above where people just pick and choose their nationality based on some vague family connection or the fact that they've been somewhere a few years as an adult.

Yep, arrived here when she was 14 which is a good cut off point: British !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why, when people do well at sport, do people accuse their parents of being pushy? Andy Murray made the decision to leave Scotland aged 15, and go to Spain

Doubt very much that a 15 year old kid from Scotland has very much say over where their parents decide that they should live. And I speak from experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here